First Look: Pyga Stage MX and Plus Five chain line concept

Nick

Lekker looking bike, but that' s not what I'd call a short stem on there. Then again compared to a normal dirt roadie stem maybe it is. Kudos to Pyga for recognising the need for bikes that can actually be ridden offroad properly, unlike most steep long stemmed marathon bikes which are hopeless in technical terrain. The bike industry in this country has been selling the wrong bikes to people for years thanks to the SA belief that marathon racing is the definition of mountain biking....

don't let Tim hear you say that.... 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lekker looking bike, but that' s not what I'd call a short stem on there. Then again compared to a normal dirt roadie stem maybe it is. Kudos to Pyga for recognising the need for bikes that can actually be ridden offroad properly, unlike most steep long stemmed marathon bikes which are hopeless in technical terrain. The bike industry in this country has been selling the wrong bikes to people for years thanks to the SA belief that marathon racing is the definition of mountain biking....

Long stem does not mean steep geometry. It could be due to a bike fit choice.

E.g..

Lets take a Giant Anthem. Small has a TT of 57.5cm, the medium has a TT of 59.5.

I need a top tube including stem measurement of around 66-67 cm.

DO I take a Small and fit a 90 or 100 mm stem and have a shorter wheelbase that's a hoot around tight singletrack climbs

or

do a I take a Medium with a 70-80mm stem but 2cm longer wheelbase? More stable on descents but not going to go uphill as quickly, not goin to be as stiff and its going to be heavier.

depending on my preference for where I need the bike to work with me more, will determine which size I opt for rather than a paradigm of short stem + wide bars = mountain biker and Long stem + narrower bars = Dirt roadie.

In this case I'd be more inclined (Excuse the pun) to opt for the small for marathon and the medium size on something like a Trance. reason being about how the bike is going to be used most of the time.

Long stem does not mean steep geometry. It could be due to a bike fit choice.

E.g..

Lets take a Giant Anthem. Small has a TT of 57.5cm, the medium has a TT of 59.5.

I need a top tube including stem measurement of around 66-67 cm.

DO I take a Small and fit a 90 or 100 mm stem and have a shorter wheelbase that's a hoot around tight singletrack climbs

or

do a I take a Medium with a 70-80mm stem but 2cm longer wheelbase? More stable on descents but not going to go uphill as quickly, not goin to be as stiff and its going to be heavier.

depending on my preference for where I need the bike to work with me more, will determine which size I opt for rather than a paradigm of short stem + wide bars = mountain biker and Long stem + narrower bars = Dirt roadie.

In this case I'd be more inclined (Excuse the pun) to opt for the small for marathon and the medium size on something like a Trance. reason being about how the bike is going to be used most of the time.

You ignored a host of other factors there in your obsession with wheel base and stem length  :ph34r:  :D

You ignored a host of other factors there in your obsession with wheel base and stem length  :ph34r:  :D

I had to keep it simple for you lawyer types :whistling:

Don't get my wrong I really love my SID... Only the sponsored riders can ride this shock.

......after the Epic I spotted many a late "middle aged" man on bikes with the RS fitted...... #justsayingthereisawealthymarketouthere ..... but yes, you need cash for that and I could not justify it vs a "std" fork.

Would rather get a Lefty if USD fork was a must.

Lefty still the benchmark for USD performance (Yes I have ridden a RS-1) but the RS-1 a markedly better than a conventional fork in almost every area. That Bike radar review is a load of bollocks. They were probably feeling the flex in the wheel since non carbon 29er wheels are pretty flexy. Like Lefty, the fork is stiffer so the flex in a wheel is much more apparent. Then they talk about how it affected the handling............what a joke!!

In the 650B format I think the RS-1 will be the benchmark for 100mm travel since Lefty is not available in 100mm travel for 650B format. You could probably combobulate one to 650B

Edited by GoLefty!!