Why guys must fight the exodus from golf to cycling

Red Zone

And your point would be what?

That because the prizes on offer aren't monumental then the sport isn't enjoyable? What odd logic you employ.

No, the logic is the realisation that in sports there are feats that are worth more even at pro levels due to being so rare that the prize is resultantly more. My point is that there is nothing like that in mtb or cycling. And that a pro or a beginner have the chance of enjoying. And sure sometimes its luck, but the more I practise, the luckier I get. I still love my bike and my other bike and my other bike, but golf has more to it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darts and snooker are clearly better too because the prize money on offer is higher offering between R4.5million to R5.5 million for a championship win...

Championship win vs one shot. Seriously

No, the logic is the realisation that in sports there are feats that are worth more even at pro levels due to being so rare that the prize is resultantly more. My point is that there is nothing like that in mtb or cycling. And that a pro or a beginner have the chance of enjoying. And sure sometimes its luck, but the more I practise, the luckier I get. I still love my bike and my other bike and my other bike, but golf has more to it.

Again you make no sense and link money to a post about enjoyment.

The ability to enjoy a sport has nothing to do with the potential for enjoyment.

Championship win vs one shot. Seriously

Are you making this up as you go?

You quoted a guy that described the great feelings on offer when he rides well and replied with

"No sorry boet, they can hell yeah all they want, and you can feel nice. But no pro MTBer wins a BMW i8 railing a berm."

I ask again how are you not, with that reply, correlating the size of the prize on offer with the enjoyment of the sport?

I'm not interested in anything else just how you justify that.

With that statement the prizes in snooker and darts make them the better, more fun sports according to the logic that follows from your statement.

Again lets remember that you were replying to a guy describing the joy of cycling and it was you that linked money.

boet I don't think I can put this much simpler- there is nothing in MTB or cycling that can relate to a hole in one in golf in my opinion (and I'm interested to see if anyone has a point of view that would change my opinion). But nice day, cool berm, awesome surroundings, do something cool etc has got nothing on that feeling of hitting the perfect shot and seeing it go into the hole. And ask any golfer who understands the game, and they will attest to the rarity of this and that's why sponsors put up big prizes for it to be seen.

Are you making this up as you go?

You quoted a guy that described the great feelings on offer when he rides well and replied with

"No sorry boet, they can hell yeah all they want, and you can feel nice. But no pro MTBer wins a BMW i8 railing a berm."

I ask again how are you not, with that reply, correlating the size of the prize on offer with the enjoyment of the sport?

I'm not interested in anything else just how you justify that.

With that statement the prizes in snooker and darts make them the better, more fun sports according to the logic that follows from your statement.

Again lets remember that you were replying to a guy describing the joy of cycling and it was you that linked money.

Rarity!!! not prize money. It relates to how awesomely rare it is

boet I don't think I can put this much simpler- there is nothing in MTB or cycling that can relate to a hole in one in golf in my opinion (and I'm interested to see if anyone has a point of view that would change my opinion). But nice day, cool berm, awesome surroundings, do something cool etc has got nothing on that feeling of hitting the perfect shot and seeing it go into the hole. And ask any golfer who understands the game, and they will attest to the rarity of this and that's why sponsors put up big prizes for it to be seen.

This I can appreciate.

I don't agree but that's personal opinion only.

Rarity!!! not prize money. It relates to how awesomely rare it is

Actually with strava, a KOM is even rarer, only one person can have it. Much more of a thrill :P

If you look at what cricket have done to save their beloved game and make it more popular ,so golf need to do the same 

It is said that the golf swing is the most complex and unnatural movement of any sport code out there. But if you look at a noob attempting a quick uncleating at a river crossing, it is pretty much the same

I did play a bit of golf, not missing it.

Plenty more skill to cycling

Golf is the most difficult sport I've ever attempted.

Grumps, it is definitely a global trend and not just in RSA

This from the BBC a few months back

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/30422698

TBH i think its silly to compare golf and cycling, they are two completely different sport forms. 

Golf is a lot more complicated and drawn out, something which imo does not fit in with the modern trend where people have become accustomed to and mostly want things to happen quicker which is probably one of the reasons why it is declining in some places.

If the hole in one is so amazing just play putt putt, same amount of luck

Astounding lack of understanding of probability theory...

Any case, the comparison is complicated, the sports not directly comparable...and frankly the debate just stupid.

Archived