My First Road Bike

the_roadie

I currently ride MTB but I'm looking for a cheap(ish) road bike to take part in some road events and use it for road training during the week when I can't get to a trail. I'll most likely do Argus, 94.7 and a couple of other sub 100km races, but mostly for fun. So I don't need anything top of the line, but want something that is at least somewhat competitive (ie. not slower than my full sus mtb).

I'm 1.86cm and 78kg with a 88cm inseam. So as far as I know this puts me on a 58cm frame.

My budget is around R16k. I've looked at the following bikes that are around that price point:

Any others I should be looking at or any of the above I should rather exclude? I've checked the classifieds for Gauteng area but I'm not really seeing anything in that range.

Any help / tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

I switched from mountain bike to road earlier this year. I think just as any bicycles you can buy a used one for much cheaper, and first try road cycling. 

You can get a sub 4 argus roadie for half your budget.  

Have a look at www.bikelane.co.za he sells older model brand new Focus bikes. You'll get good deal from him. I bought a 2012 Focus Cayo with Sram force, Mavic Cosmic wheels and a nice carbon frame for around R24 000

Look at what you can get second hand. But if cheap is what you want consider the up keep of your ride. Don't get anything with Dura Ace, Red, or Record on it. Or you'll be sorry when you have to change out a component. Good luck!

I currently ride MTB but I'm looking for a cheap(ish) road bike to take part in some road events and use it for road training during the week when I can't get to a trail. I'll most likely do Argus, 94.7 and a couple of other sub 100km races, but mostly for fun. So I don't need anything top of the line, but want something that is at least somewhat competitive (ie. not slower than my full sus mtb).

I'm 1.86cm and 78kg with a 88cm inseam. So as far as I know this puts me on a 58cm frame.

My budget is around R16k. I've looked at the following bikes that are around that price point:

Scott Speedster 20 - http://www.hotspotcycles.co.za/product/2015-scott-speedster-20/

Merida Scultura 400 - http://www.hotspotcycles.co.za/product/2015-merida-scultura-400/

Cannondale: Synapse Alloy 5 105 - http://www.bicycling.co.za/bike-buyers-guide/synapse-alloy-5-105-3/

Cannondale: CAAD 10 5 105 - http://www.bicycling.co.za/bike-buyers-guide/caad-10-5-105-3/

Any others I should be looking at or any of the above I should rather exclude? I've checked the classifieds for Gauteng area but I'm not really seeing anything in that range.

Any help / tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Look at what you can get second hand. But if cheap is what you want consider the up keep of your ride. Don't get anything with Dura Ace, Red, or Record on it. Or you'll be sorry when you have to change out a component. Good luck!

I have to agree with this.. I picked up a 2e hand Specialized Tarmac SL3 with sram red for 15k.

And I have a feeling with the UCI lifting the ban on disk breaks on road bikes, there wilk be a whole lotta batgains soon.

Thanks. I'm definitely open for 2nd hand. Would Shimano 105 be a good choice?

Thanks. I'm definitely open for 2nd hand. Would Shimano 105 be a good choice?

The previous version of 105 (5700 series) should be more than sufficient.

That Trek is quite old.  The Hub is probably the safest place.  Be Very careful of Gumtree.  Lots of shystas.  If you are going secondhand, try get something that you can sell easily because if the bug bites you WILL want to upgrade.  Nothing wrong with aluminium frame for 1st bike but agree with the 105 or better.

Personally, I have found Merida to be great value (on my 4th one). If you want to go new, I have seen the Scultura 400.  Very nice and the quality of the welds is so good it almost looks carbon!

That Trek is quite old.  The Hub is probably the safest place.  Be Very careful of Gumtree.  Lots of shystas.  If you are going secondhand, try get something that you can sell easily because if the bug bites you WILL want to upgrade.  Nothing wrong with aluminium frame for 1st bike but agree with the 105 or better.

Personally, I have found Merida to be great value (on my 4th one). If you want to go new, I have seen the Scultura 400.  Very nice and the quality of the welds is so good it almost looks carbon!

Thanks, got the year model now and it's 2002. Will check out the Merida.

CAAD 10 with 105 is a great bet!

Only because your just a little bit bias :ph34r:  :clap:

Sorry OP private joke!

@the_mtb  Welcome to the road, You will love it just as much the dirt and will eventually have good quality bikes for both disciplines.

You might want to check fit before buying, Im 188cm and Im on a 58 which is slightly too big, a 56 would be a better bet for me so you might be the same.

You might want to check fit before buying, Im 188cm and Im on a 58 which is slightly too big, a 56 would be a better bet for me so you might be the same.

Thanks I'll take that into account. Though I feel a bit bad going to a bike shop and trying out bikes in different sizes only to walk away and buy 2nd hand :)

Only because your just a little bit bias :ph34r:  :clap:

Sorry OP private joke!

@the_mtb  Welcome to the road, You will love it just as much the dirt and will eventually have good quality bikes for both disciplines.

True story!   :w00t:

At R15 k you should be able to pick up a 3 or 4 year old carbon bike with at least Sram Force, Ultegra or Chorus.

be carful not to pay too much, but if you are patient you will find some exceptional bikes.

Archived