Review: TomTom Multisport Cardio

Batmanza

Just about everyone knows TomTom for their car navigation systems but they have now started poking around in the sports watch market. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with the TomTom Multisport Cardio watch.

Click here to view the article

Something to add is that while it claims to be a "multisport" watch it doesnt actually have a multisport mode.

So in a triathlon you have to first log either a swim(which doesnt use gps) or a freestyle(which does use gps)

Then in transition stop the event and start a cycle event.

Stop that in next transition and start a run event.

It hasnt been a problem for me due to the crazy fast gps lock but then you end up with 3 separate events that make up the triathlon.

The bike mount is really solid though, I have done some serious trail riding with it and its never been a concern.

I had two of these devices...both were faulty and Tom Tom eventually refunded me. 

It felt like they rushed the release. 

I like my TomTom multisports watch. It works well and is relatively cheap. Battery life is only an issue when I am doing Ironman distance which is only once a year, half ironman no problem. I get around 10 hours of use out of mine without the Heart monitor. Its NB to switch of the sensors otherwise it looks for the monitor and this uses battery life. Battery life is the only negative in my opinion and non entity for anything but ironman.

Hi

Personally, I really like the TomTom because its simple and gets the job done.

I agree its not for elite athletes, but there are other products the cover that genre.

For me the biggest issue with the TomTom is when uploading data to the computer. For some reason it purges the data off the watch (storage space I guess) - before confirming its actually on the computer.

I have lost a few session because of this and gone back to my Garmin.

For example, if you plug it in to charge via USB on computer and your computer is not online or sleeping, it then connects to your computer and uploads the data - but as you not online the data goes nowhere but is still purged off your watch... and lost forever.

I have flagged this with TomTom, but lets see how that goes.

In summary - Great watch, nice a simple and does what it says on the box.

However there are some gremlins and its certainly not for elite athletes or endurance athletes, due to battery life. To be fair my Garmin 600 only gets around 8 hours too.

Hope that helps?

Marc

I like my TomTom multisports watch. It works well and is relatively cheap. Battery life is only an issue when I am doing Ironman distance which is only once a year, half ironman no problem. I get around 10 hours of use out of mine without the Heart monitor. Its NB to switch of the sensors otherwise it looks for the monitor and this uses battery life. Battery life is the only negative in my opinion and non entity for anything but ironman.

100% agree, my only slight gripe is battery life.

Feature wise its as good as watches more than double the price.

Hi

Personally, I really like the TomTom because its simple and gets the job done.

I agree its not for elite athletes, but there are other products the cover that genre.

For me the biggest issue with the TomTom is when uploading data to the computer. For some reason it purges the data off the watch (storage space I guess) - before confirming its actually on the computer.

I have lost a few session because of this and gone back to my Garmin.

For example, if you plug it in to charge via USB on computer and your computer is not online or sleeping, it then connects to your computer and uploads the data - but as you not online the data goes nowhere but is still purged off your watch... and lost forever.

I have flagged this with TomTom, but lets see how that goes.

In summary - Great watch, nice a simple and does what it says on the box.

However there are some gremlins and its certainly not for elite athletes or endurance athletes, due to battery life. To be fair my Garmin 600 only gets around 8 hours too.

Hope that helps?

Marc

Cant say I have ever had that problem. I charge mine using my iphone base when its not syncing.

Maybe check your documents folder, if the bin is in there you can double click to reprocess it.

Thanks for the article and all the comments! Have scouted the market for a while now in search of something between a watch that tells me when to eat, sleep, urinate and text my girlfriend and a 10m water resistant casio wrist calculator - therefore have been referred to the TomTom. I guess the TomTom is still too new and under-developed ito multisport capabilities...

My big frustration with the TT watch is that it has no stationary bike mode. It has a treadmill mode but despite hundreds of users requesting the additional feature for stationary bike, TT seem to have ignored the request. Thus i have to use the HRM with the Wahoo app when I'm in the gym. 

Apart from that though, it works well and I'm largely happy with it. I had a problem with my original watch freezing, so contacted TT. They collected it and delivered me a brand new watch 24 hours later. So i was really impressed with that.

Battery life is limited for genuine endurance events, but so far the watch has lasted for each day of my multi-stage races (including the long ones where i have had technical issues), so I haven't really found that a limiting factor. But I've no intention of being an Ironman!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(Strapless) Simple UI. Effective and reliable measurements. Synching to TomTom app and STARVA is seamless.

Well worth the buy - currently prices are dropping as gen 2 is about to hit the streets.