Which fork for Giant Anthem X 29er?

Chip

Hi fellow hubbers,

I am busy with a Giant Anthem X 29er build, I have a choice of 2 forks...a Rockshox Recon Silver (QR) and a SR Suntour Epicon XC (15mm thru-axle)...which would be the better for for the build?

Can these forks be changed to 120mm travel?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of those 2 I'd go for the recon. Even though the Suntour has the thru-axle, it's not as serviceable as the RS, so in the long run wouldn't be as good in case you need spares etc.

I don't know if the RS is extendable to 120mm (older versions were) but you can ping droo for an answer.

If you can spend the extra, I'd really recommend the Reba though.

Oh and on an anthem - 120mm would be brilliant - you'd effectively have an Anthem SX.  

• 2 months later...

of those 2 I'd go for the recon. Even though the Suntour has the thru-axle, it's not as serviceable as the RS, so in the long run wouldn't be as good in case you need spares etc.

I don't know if the RS is extendable to 120mm (older versions were) but you can ping droo for an answer.

If you can spend the extra, I'd really recommend the Reba though.

Oh and on an anthem - 120mm would be brilliant - you'd effectively have an Anthem SX.

I'm also looking at doing the 120mm conversion to my X1. Was looking at the Revelation or would the Reba be as good? Also would it be worth switching the shock to a Monarch as on the SX? Any Fox options? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

I'm also looking at doing the 120mm conversion to my X1. Was looking at the Revelation or would the Reba be as good? Also would it be worth switching the shock to a Monarch as on the SX? Any Fox options? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Either would work. Reba only goes up to 120 whereas the rev goes to 150. Afaik there'd be hardly any difference between a rev set at 120 and a Reba set at 120

Suntour Epicon adjustment range is between 100 , 120, 130 and 140mm. Takes about 10 minutes to change. Instructions are on the Suntour Webpage.

Would like to upgrade my X1 to a 120mm as well, but does any RS fit the OD2 or only specific ones, what should one look out for w.r.t. OD2 compatibility?

Would like to upgrade my X1 to a 120mm as well, but does any RS fit the OD2 or only specific ones, what should one look out for w.r.t. OD2 compatibility?

A new headset...

There are very few forks that fit OD2, and you'd be better off getting a new headset to fix the problem than looking for an OD2 fork

I run a Epic on at 120mm. It is amazing, makes for a more enjoyable and capable ride.

Roughly 1deg slacker HA and helps with the Anthems poor clearance due to it's low BB height.

Epicon is serviceable, mine has just had it's cartridge service. All good after a year of hard riding. Reba might be better but you will feel the difference of the 15mm TA.

I run a Epic on at 120mm. It is amazing, makes for a more enjoyable and capable ride.

Roughly 1deg slacker HA and helps with the Anthems poor clearance due to it's low BB height.

Epicon is serviceable, mine has just had it's cartridge service. All good after a year of hard riding. Reba might be better but you will feel the difference of the 15mm TA.

Glad to hear that servicing is now possible..

And yeah, if you have to choose between qr and ta, take the thru axle. Every time

Either would work. Reba only goes up to 120 whereas the rev goes to 150. Afaik there'd be hardly any difference between a rev set at 120 and a Reba set at 120

Great thank you. Just been looking at the RS website. Damn there's no shortage of choice there. As it's going to be a somewhat pricey upgrade it may be worth looking at spending a bit more to best option, Reba, Rev. Sid :huh: Time for research.

Great thank you. Just been looking at the RS website. Damn there's no shortage of choice there. As it's going to be a somewhat pricey upgrade it may be worth looking at spending a bit more to best option, Reba, Rev. Sid :huh: Time for research.

Not SID. Reba or Rev. The SID should only really be considered if you're racing for time at the top, and where weight is your primary concern. REBA & REV are stiffer and have the same internals anyway, and are also cheaper...

Not SID. Reba or Rev. The SID should only really be considered if you're racing for time at the top, and where weight is your primary concern. REBA & REV are stiffer and have the same internals anyway, and are also cheaper...

Thanks for the tip. From what I've found so far it seems the Reba is slightly heavier but stiffer and the Rev has better damping. Is the Reba's stiffness enough to compensate for poorer damping? From the post above are all the RS QR or should I maybe look at Fox? :huh:

Thanks for the tip. From what I've found so far it seems the Reba is slightly heavier but stiffer and the Rev has better damping. Is the Reba's stiffness enough to compensate for poorer damping? From the post above are all the RS QR or should I maybe look at Fox? :huh:

Negative on all fronts. Revelation would be a teensy bit stiffer (it goes up to 150mm) and RS have thru axle as well as QR

Damping should be the same for both REV and REBA

Negative on all fronts. Revelation would be a teensy bit stiffer (it goes up to 150mm) and RS have thru axle as well as QR

Damping should be the same for both REV and REBA

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

I have a TA Reba, the 100mm version. Coming from an entry level Suntour, I only have good things to say about the Reba. Excellent stiffness and damping and light as well. A friend rode the Silver and it does not even come close to the Reba in terms of performance, as it is an entry level fork. I assume the Revelation would be just as good. Rather spend a bit more if possible and get the Reba/Revelation

Reba and revelation out of the box have different spring curves and hence different damping characteristics. Fortunately the dampers are easily tuned by the agents.

Archived