New Klapperkop trails

LazyTrailRider

Ruan, have you ridden Wolwespruit recently? They even now have an impressive pump track. The routes allow for some really fun and white knuckle stuff. The black.route.up to Lois avenue and back down (switchback magnus) will sharpen the skills. The big plus.......it is super safe.......Kloof Hospital's emergency facilties is less than 500m from the entrance to the park. Give it horns......

Yeah man, I know Wolwespruit is sick.

Hi Ruan, 

Progression jumps will be added in the near future as well. We will be periodically adding new sections and features to create a mountain bike haven in Pretoria. Safety is also being looked at.

Legend, I use to ride to Klapperklop almost everyday, I love that place. I really want to go and ride the new trails but will wait for a group or so, thanks for the effort you guys are winners. :clap:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah man, I know Wolwespruit is sick.

Legend, I use to ride to Klapperklop almost everyday, I love that place. I really want to go and ride the new trails but will wait for a group or so, thanks for the effort you guys are winners. :clap:

We're trying to get a nice big group together for tomorrow.  Meeting at Starting Point 2 07:45 to start 08:00.  I've never ridden there, so would be nice to have someone that knows the place.  You could always join us and show us the ropes?

Hi Blitzer, thanks for your input with regards to the trails. 

The new loop has been specifically designed to be more technically challenging as Pretoria has been lacking in any decent training grounds for our up and coming racing talent. The new section of trail has therefore been built on a black grading with some steep, tight and unavoidable features. 

You do however have the following option if you are not yet comfortable enough with the black route.  

Option 1:

*Ride up Red route

*Ride down blue

or Option 2: 

*Ride up Blue

*Ride down blue

Just to let you know, there are plans to extend the trails further in the near future, and this will include more gradual, blue and red graded trails. 

Have fun out there on the trails. 

Hi Heindrich .Nothing has been changed .I appreciate your work and we will and are using the trails often .Switchbacks are my nemesis ,so i have tried to take them wider .Maybe an alternate trail around them so the trails can be used by non professionals 

Hi Heindrich .Nothing has been changed .I appreciate your work and we will and are using the trails often .Switchbacks are my nemesis ,so i have tried to take them wider .Maybe an alternate trail around them so the trails can be used by non professionals 

Hi Blitzer, no worries mate. I just want to get people to start having fun on the trails. I'll look into a shorter connection trail for that section in the near future. 

If you want we can look at doing a technical training session with you and your mates, we can go through both climbing and descending of technical terrain.

Cheers 

Hi Nibali, 

The red route is a newly designed route, that makes use of a very small portion of the older trail ( that used to be the other way around.) Please respect the direction of the trail, as it is designed to flow in one direction, riding it incorrectly will create unwanted and unnecessary erosion on the trail. 

Have fun out there. 

Shot for the info Heinrich, would never dream of doing a route wrong way.

Fun is always to be had :clap:

Cheers

damm I just came from klapperkop to go and check out the new trails...it very technical, there where a lot of stuff that I was not able to ride. big up for the builders it looks great and now I have a new objective, to do the whole route without getting off the bike. I just found it poorly market, maybe because I was a bit overwhelmed or the signs where stolen. great place to own some skill, but I am sure that a few bones will be claimed.

Glad to hear you like the trails GlockG4! I also think the guys did a fantastic job there!

We will ride the trails this weekend again to check for the route markings, but as far as I'm aware all is still all in place.

Your skills will improve for sure by riding those trails!

Enjoy safe, fun and accident free riding there!! ;)

I think the trails can do with some motorbike rides to get rid of loose rocks and smooth it out. lots of fun to ride just a bit more riding has to be done on it or are we to spoiled with sani trails ect?

few berms would be great going downhill offcamber.

would like to get in contact with the guys running the show there. I have a great fund raising idea.

this is our pride and joy play park great work

We are riding there every weekend. The technicality is awesome and there are more smooth sections. Once the trails get too smooth and easy the technical challenge is also fading which will not be cool. 

Heinrich and his team is already working on everyone's requestes and they will see that the best balance between technicality and ease of riding will be provided.

Just remember, we are mountain biking, not doing some kind of glorified road riding. Get on it and train those skills guys ;)

If you want any level of skills training, please inbox me, I present them for riders staring out up to advanced levels.

#lovetheride!

Wish I knew about this thread last week...

Would love to join, but only home again on the 11th/12th July...will you guys keep me in mind if you go then..

You guys have done a great job. i was their a month ago and found all the changes. The blue up is tough enough for me and I do a fair amount of bike walking. Once at the top I could not find a down entry as it is now the exit to the Orange route. While alone I am not brave enough for the black routes. So that's what is now missing as it is not much fun to go up and down on one route (which i have only today discovered in this forum is multi directional).  I ended up using the south side parameter track which is very easy, except for the flooding from the reservoir that particular Sunday .

Next time i will try Orange up and blue down. 

I was also surprised at how many off road walkers and runners were using the tracks not withstanding all the safety concerns. The more the merrier 

You guys have done a great job. i was their a month ago and found all the changes. The blue up is tough enough for me and I do a fair amount of bike walking. Once at the top I could not find a down entry as it is now the exit to the Orange route. While alone I am not brave enough for the black routes. So that's what is now missing as it is not much fun to go up and down on one route (which i have only today discovered in this forum is multi directional).  I ended up using the south side parameter track which is very easy, except for the flooding from the reservoir that particular Sunday .

Next time i will try Orange up and blue down. 

I was also surprised at how many off road walkers and runners were using the tracks not withstanding all the safety concerns. The more the merrier 

Was also there on Sunday.  Saw police car patrolling the tar road and encountered two more police guys on quad bikes at the first view point, close to the tower.  They asked me if it was my car parked at the gate, turned out they are checking any cars parked for too long.  Really hope the security gets sorted, really enjoy KK.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, probably. But there was an arrow pointing you down the way I always went, was a gnarly bit of downhill, but so good. Also never encountered anyone going up that way. Even the local wildebeest was running down the track with me (that was super scary :eek: )

It used to be that way around they changed it when they started with the new trails.

Saw this post on the Pta East Facebook Group from Heather Muller

"Warning: Be careful when riding at Fort klapperkop. Was riding this afternoon (07/02/2015) on the tar when I saw 3 suspisious men run out of the bushes, over the road infront of me&down the hill into the bushes again. When I came back up the hill I found they had just mugged 2 men. The 3 "suspicious "looking guys had held them down at knife point, mugged them of all their valuables/ car keys,etc leaving them stranded. Word of warning - dont stop at view points and keep cycling."

Really pisses me off, new trails but seems like we will not be able to enjoy this....

Be careful out there.

I encountered these guys as well. Saw them early and was lucky to get away. Klapperkop is a treasure, but extremely unsafe. Will definitely be hesitant to go in groups of 3 or less. Lost my first bike to thieves at Klapperkop when I was 12 years old...Sadly, 18 years later nothing changed. 

It used to be that way around they changed it when they started with the new trails.

Yup, was confirmed to me earlier in the thread :thumbup:

Archived