Dome 2 Dome and Race for Victory 2015

Prince

Well I have entered the D2D , with one of the reasons the registrations available in PTA.

Have not done a road race since 10 March so will do the Wilro as first road race and then this one to try and get ready for a good 94.7.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get about 105Km on Garmin Connect (create course).

attachicon.gifR4V 105Km.png

Whats the elevation gain you got over this distance (dont see it on your pic)...I have never done it (and not yet 100+km fit) s0 quite worried by looking at that route profile.... :wacko:

Yours look a bit different to the one on the website too??

post-24697-0-99797000-1440407143_thumb.jpg

Whats the elevation gain you got over this distance (dont see it on your pic)...I have never done it (and not yet 100+km fit) s0 quite worried by looking at that route profile.... :wacko:

Yours look a bit different to the one on the website too??

attachicon.gif http://cdn.entelectonline.co.za/wm-640501-cmsimages/elevation_graph_Rfv110.png

About 690m (give or take a few metres depending on the system used to calculate the elevation (Garmin, Strava, etc.).

Below is the actual profile, from our club ride along most of the route yesterday - look at the parts in the red block (that was on the actual route). We started and finished in a different location, so the parts outside the block aren't relevant. The red and green lines show the actual route.

The profiles are very similar, with the official profile a bit deceiving because the horizontal scale is less than the other two. It's squashed making it look steeper.

post-1372-0-21931300-1440407965_thumb.png

Whoohoo...excited! I think it is going to go smoother than expected...did a solo 105km yesterday with 1136m elevation (according to Strava) and I had Mr. Wind as a couch.

Anyone going to ride the route this coming weekend maybe?

Strava shows 626m of elevation... when creating the course.

First one is full screen view, the second 60% of the screen view, so you can see the same profile with different horizontal scales.

post-1372-0-87705900-1440409715_thumb.png

post-1372-0-97720000-1440409597_thumb.png

I'd hate to call it a prevailing wind as it does change depending on weather conditions, but the normal direction is anywhere from the NW to N under good conditions. It means a possible tailwind from 24-70Km of the race, with a few crosswinds thrown in.

The first 20 and the last 20 could be headwinds, with second 20Km being a little harder with elevation gain and perhaps some over eager pacing early on.

Bad weather usually means wind from the S - SW, maybe even WSW.

I'd hate to call it a prevailing wind as it does change depending on weather conditions, but the normal direction is anywhere from the NW to N under good conditions. It means a possible tailwind from 24-70Km of the race, with a few crosswinds thrown in.

The first 20 and the last 20 could be headwinds, with second 20Km being a little harder with elevation gain and perhaps some over eager pacing early on.

Bad weather usually means wind from the S - SW, maybe even WSW.

My plan....train alone and hide in the bunch away from the wind during races..haha :blush: (although it was NOT the case at the Lost City race...few lazy okes there!)

That will be the only way I can cover that distance at this stage at a 'race pace'. I do promise not to always do this!  ^_^

Strava shows 626m of elevation... when creating the course.

First one is full screen view, the second 60% of the screen view, so you can see the same profile with different horizontal scales.

attachicon.gifR4V elevation.PNG

attachicon.gifR4V elevation.PNG

thanks for the profile. It looks like an easy ride. Haven't done it before. Can't wait now, will be my first race of the season.

Hi Gerald

Your route profile and mine are very different. I believe there's a new start/finish & route this year (Krugersdorp Game Reserve). Are you using the old course or the new one?

Here's my route profile and course map:

post-22004-0-37952100-1440581618_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-51811900-1440581626_thumb.jpg

My Google Earth profile says it's 111km long (not 105km) and 1125m total elevation gained.

I do believe is talking about the Race For Victory and not Dome to Dome?

Hi Gerald

Your route profile and mine are very different. I believe there's a new start/finish & route this year (Krugersdorp Game Reserve). Are you using the old course or the new one?

Here's my route profile and course map:

My Google Earth profile says it's 111km long (not 105km) and 1125m total elevation gained.

You're referring to the Dome to Dome whereas I was referring to the Race for Victory.

A classic case of confusion

You're referring to the Dome to Dome whereas I was referring to the Race for Victory.

A classic case of confusion

My bad. I hadn't read all the pages back - and thought this conversation was about D2D after a cursory look at the thread title.

Having two different races in one thread not helping at all with the confusion.

I'll wind my neck back in :).

My bad. I hadn't read all the pages back - and thought this conversation was about D2D after a cursory look at the thread title.

Having two different races in one thread not helping at all with the confusion.

I'll wind my neck back in :).

You can imagine how confusing it got in the middle of the thread when the dates changed . Flip I got so confused I didn't know when I was racing where. Had visions of rocking up to race one morning and I'm the only poepal there.

Archived