decisions decisions

DentistB

Hi guys. Hope this is the right place to post this

I'm totally new to mtb'ing, but decided two weeks ago to keep the missus happy and started doing some homework on bikes (my wife has been riding mtb socially for some years)

We are not interested in tarmac riding, only gravel,"tweespoor paaidjies" on the farm and i would like to do some more technical riding in the future

I am trying to decide between

1. Giant anthem x1 R25G

2. Specialized camber comp R19G

3. Specialized epic comp R22G

If the Giant were R3G cheaper it would've been an easier decision but i need to buy two

I believe the spez epic is more of a "competition " entry level bike and maybe a bit more uncomfortable choice for social Sunday evening rides? And the Spez Camber i can get is the bright red one that i dont really like, but i can get over that. So without starting a "brand war" can someone please give me some more advice

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride an Epic and I love it, but having said that, if I were to replace it and stay with the Specialized brand, I'd probably do so with a Camber (Only bought the Epic because I got a really good deal on it).

In all honesty, you'll probably get more bike for your money with the Anthem.

What are the specs on the bikes?

The Giant Anthem, if I have to pick one of your three. But I would also look at the Giant Trance for a real fun bike that is easy and forgiving to ride, and will keep you entertained for a long time. If you buy 2, I would negotiate a better deal that the stated price. Giant generally give you the best bang for your buck. (OK, I'm ready for the flak, throw it all ye Spaz fanboys. ;) )

Also look at the specs when making these comparisons... the Spaztic bikes could be spec'ed similar to a Anthem X2 or X3 while the X1 could be higher spec'ed (XT typically on the groupset)

There are so many bikes out there. Of those you have I would take camber as its bit of a do it all bike(This applies if your riding bit more technical). For missus id look at your options for female bikes from spez and giant as they should also fall under same price range. if your going to go for Anthem or Epic then components rule with regards to value.

The best advice I can really give is take the bikes for a test ride.

Thanx guys

The specs are all standard as on Spez and Giant websites. New bikes from dealer in Kimberley

What i didn't like about the epic is the ridiculous shock services on the brain. I am a technical person and hate it to not have a choice of doing something myself or locally

Im gonna have a look at the Trance first. What should the Trance sell for new?

Unless you are planning to race and racing will be more important to you than social riding then leave the Epic out.

Then go ride both of the other two and buy the one that feels best. Both Anthem and Camber are nice bikes with the Camber maybe a bit more of an allrounder.

Edited by JXV

Try looking at the Silverback Sprada as well.  Very competitively priced, great specs and a really good ride.

But to choose between the three, I might choose the Giant over the Spez.

....................Im gonna have a look at the Trance first. What should the Trance sell for new?

Should be about R24000 for a Trance X2

Thanx guys

The specs are all standard as on Spez and Giant websites. New bikes from dealer in Kimberley

What i didn't like about the epic is the ridiculous shock services on the brain. I am a technical person and hate it to not have a choice of doing something myself or locally

Im gonna have a look at the Trance first. What should the Trance sell for new?

You are more than close enough to Bloem. Phone Hannes at Cyclotech and discuss the "im buying two bikes" situation with him. You will get incredibly good advice and service from him. 

He also does Spez and Giant and I'm sure a little discount will be in order.

If you are going to buy two then you should be able to get a good discount - need to ask though.

All quotes i got on the Anthem 1 was R27500 he is asking me R24500 for it

But i wiil surely give Hannes a call tomorrow. I also need to take a spin on the bikes, but I'm also leaning towards the Giant Anthem!!!

Really appreciate all the advice

I think most riders in SA will benefit from a trail bike. 120-140mm travel. Mine gave me so much confidence on the descents and lost very little if anything gained on the climbs. I would also consider the Anthem sx? 120mm fork on "normal" anthem. If you're planning tech riding, the additional travel of a trance WILL come in handy. Trail bikes are awesome allrounders. When I visit my folks' farm, I tend to ride the beespaadjies... So much fun! I would get 1) trance 2) camber/anthem sx 3) Anthem. Perhaps also silverback slider.