Benefits of Zero Offset Seatpost

Meezo

in my ''not so expert'' opinion i believe this gets your weight more forward, and more directly over your cranks/pedals and hence more power. It also give you a more upright posture on the bike.

It does take more getting used to and your legs will feel the difference for the first few rides. It does help with climbing short steep stuff.

Also takes some getting used when riding ST downhill as you feel like you could go over the bars more easily.

Sneak a peek at all the XC pro's and see how ''forward on the bike'' their set up looks.

Surprisingly with this set up (saddle more forward) you actually raise your saddle.

Not sure if i answered your question Meezo ?

its probably a mixture of the compact nature of mtb suspension frames and their slack geometry and trying to place the riders weight more forward

seatpost offsets in road bikes are really about options in bike fitting and individual rider styles - some riders want to be more over or behind the peddle axle - sometimes a riders body geometry requires a zero offset to enhance bike fit (short upper legs )

I don't think the 'benefits' go beyond fitting well onto your chosen bike :blush:

I had a direct mount seatpost on my bike. Saddle had to be set quite a way back. So much so that i kept on breaking bolts on the clamp ( the seat was levering on the clamp, straining the bolts)

Lost half of the clamp, last time the fuggin thing broke. Got me a setback post and the mounting of the saddle on the post is more central to the seat rails.

Guess what i am saying is it's more a bike fit to your body measurements type thing than an actual enhancement in riding style.

I had a direct mount seatpost on my bike. Saddle had to be set quite a way back. So much so that i kept on breaking bolts on the clamp ( the seat was levering on the clamp, straining the bolts)

Lost half of the clamp, last time the fuggin thing broke. Got me a setback post and the mounting of the saddle on the post is more central to the seat rails.

Guess what i am saying is it's more a bike fit to your body measurements type thing than an actual enhancement in riding style.

My thoughts exactly, i was on instagram looking at some pro's bikes, most of them got straight seatpost.

My SS has a straight seatpost, all my other bikes including road has offset seatpost.

Again, the pros are doing it, hence my question...

Perhaps it is because the pro's have the benefit of frames that are made for them to almost exact specifications to their body measurements? Thus no need for compensating with components?

There is a reason why there is a UCI rule that states your saddle (front tip) may not be more closer than 5cm from the centre of the BB........

:thumbup:

Perhaps it is because the pro's have the benefit of frames that are made for them to almost exact specifications to their body measurements? Thus no need for compensating with components?

The pros bikes are no different to the bikes you and i can purchase. There might be the odd exception out there (but none that i have ever heard of) 

I find when riding up short very steep gradients i sit pearched on the tip of my saddle, driving the cranks downward, and getting my weight very central. but then on the flat sections its nice to sit back and get a little aero (not necessary in xc racing) also can get behind the seat easier on steep drop offs with a "in line" seat post. 

So very much more suited to xc style riding imho

There is a reason why there is a UCI rule that states your saddle (front tip) may not be more closer than 5cm from the centre of the BB........

:thumbup:

What is the reason?

I must check mine... I have changed all my seat posts to straight ones as I find a more open hip angle more comfortable from a lower back pain perspective. 

Here's the ruling with pictures:

post-182-0-00635600-1431505012_thumb.png

post-182-0-53805100-1431505022_thumb.png

What is the reason?

I must check mine... I have changed all my seat posts to straight ones as I find a more open hip angle more comfortable from a lower back pain perspective. 

Here's the ruling with pictures:

attachicon.gif2015-05-13_1012.png

attachicon.gif2015-05-13_1013.png

Without going into detail, you basically generate more power the more you get over the BB.  So UCI put a limit to it so that everyone has the same limit. 

They check it religiously at TT but not on the road although it is a rule for normal road bikes also.

So it is to your own advantage to get as far forward as possible.

My setup sits at 6cm.  Moved from 11cm.  I got about 4% increase in FTP once I got used to the setup...... ;)

Without going into detail, you basically generate more power the more you get over the BB.  So UCI put a limit to it so that everyone has the same limit. 

They check it religiously at TT but not on the road although it is a rule for normal road bikes also.

My setup sits at 6cm.  Moved from 11cm.  I got about 4% increase in FTP once I got used to the setup...... ;)

mines exactly 6 cm also with zero offset post :w00t:

never really thought about it being advantageous for power its just how my bike fits

but hey every bit helps  :thumbup:

Ah that's ok then...here I worrying that the UCI was concerned about potential harm (knee damage or something...)

WRT to OP's zero offset question (or more forward seat posts) I have definitely noticed that I get less lower back / hip pain the more forward I sit i.e. like with tri bike geometry and I guess this is due to the more open hip angle....?