SRAM GX vs SHIMANO XT 1x11

DanielJhb

SRAM GX vs SHIMANO XT 1x11  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to go with?

• Sram GX
    • Shimano XT 1x11

I hear the gripshift is really bad and slippery in wet conditions

Whoever told you that has never used a grip shift in the wet.

It's the most reliable shifter around

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever told you that has never used a grip shift in the wet.

It's the most reliable shifter around

I have to disagree with you here. I had SRAM X0 gripshift which completely clogged up in the mud at sabie last year. With our without gloves didn't make a difference. Shifting was impossible and I basically had a single speed.

Needless to say I am back to using trigger shifters after that.

My GX11 landed at R6280.00 from Chain Reaction.

Who was your experience with them? Thinking of buying some stuff including GX11 from them.

The bad

It really really really doesn't like the 38-40 combination, chainline is very bad in this gear and the chain slips off the chainring. Not that I will be riding in that gear but still not ideal.

Check b screw and RD pulley clearance....may improve matters.

Also, if you have BB spacers between your frame and bb or between bb and crank you may be able to move a spacer to the non drive side and improve the chainline. Depends what bb/crank system you have. My SC has threaded BB and a spacer or two on the drive side.....so it would be an easy fix if I had this problem on my bike.

I'm guessing this chain line issue will be worse on smaller wheel bikes with shorter chainstays.....better to just drop to granny ring before reaching the 40 in big ring.

Also, if you have BB spacers between your frame and bb or between bb and crank you may be able to move a spacer to the non drive side and improve the chainline. Depends what bb/crank system you have. My SC has threaded BB and a spacer or two on the drive side.....so it would be an easy fix if I had this problem on my bike.

I'm guessing this chain line issue will be worse on smaller wheel bikes with shorter chainstays.....better to just drop to granny ring before reaching the 40 in big ring.

I measured my chainline and it is nasty. It is difficult to measure accurately but centre of seat tube to centre of outer chainring is about 55mm, so assuming 5mm between chainrings that gives me a chainline of around 52.5, far off the 48.8 it is supposed to be.

I got the stock crankset on my Specialized Epic Comp replaced by the bike shop when I bought it with the XT785 I had on my old hard tail. To fit the crankset I had to replace the bb, got a KCNC XC bb. I see the shop put two spacers on the drive side. I will change this over the weekend and move the spacer to non drive. I should then have a more reasonable chainline of around 50mm.

I can't believe I didn't notice this in my 2x10 config. Thanks for the help.

Who was your experience with them? Thinking of buying some stuff including GX11 from them.

Ordered my XT 11 speed stuff from CRC on Sunday. Delivered to my door this morning. Fitted this evening. A wonderful experience.

However, cost ended up exactly the same as Evobikes had I purchased locally. Unfortunately all the bits I wanted were not in stock so I chose CRC for this order.

Just a quick question here! If something goes wrong are you going to send it back to CRC? I am pretty sure you don't expect anyone local to sort out your imports?!

Of course. They will either refund (which is normally first option) or replace. I would not burden my LBS with an overseas purchase. But hay, I bought a Top of the line Fox fork from a local shop 8 months ago, it had a problem so I returned it to my LBS. 2 months for Omnico to get spares and it's been with them now for 2 weeks. Still don't have it back.

So local is not always lekker!! Honestly, if I had of bought this particular product from CRC, I believe I'd have a new fork by now. This is not a reflection on the LBS but the SA distributor.

As I said in my first reply. I will always try support local business first and 80% of my spend is at the LBS.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, ...

I found Chain Reaction to be very good. I have bought numerous items from them without any hassle. Items bought in this manner, often come with extra's that you don't expect. e.g. I bought a suspension fork that came with a basic service kit, as well as the fork pump or they included a bunch of promotional nutritional items on another shipment.

They ship fast, but sometimes we have hassles here in SA. Even DHL have on 2 occasions not been on top of their game.

If you know someone travelling to the UK it may be worth your while sending your items to them and you can claim most of the VAT back. Invoice details will be required.

Source locally if you can. Import duty can be distasteful, especially on clothing

At the risk of hijacking this thread, ...

I found Chain Reaction to be very good. I have bought numerous items from them without any hassle. Items bought in this manner, often come with extra's that you don't expect. e.g. I bought a suspension fork that came with a basic service kit, as well as the fork pump or they included a bunch of promotional nutritional items on another shipment.

They ship fast, but sometimes we have hassles here in SA. Even DHL have on 2 occasions not been on top of their game.

If you know someone travelling to the UK it may be worth your while sending your items to them and you can claim most of the VAT back. Invoice details will be required.

Source locally if you can. Import duty can be distasteful, especially on clothing

That import duty is whats bothering me.. I'm rather going local.. Thanks for the advice.

Local pricing for many of these Xt 11 speed parts is pretty much identical to Crc(including delivery and customs). Looks like the local online shops have realised they have to compete with Crc or face losing to many sales?

Sorted out my chainline issue yesterday, moved bb spacer to the non drive side. My chainline is now around 50mm. Rode a muddy race today, shifted flawlessly and rode silent the entire 50km. I can now ride 38-40 combo. Did it by mistake today and didn't notice until I looked down.

Thanks for the help.

Ok coming back to original question of this thread...

Shimano XT or Sram GX 1x11?

I've never had Sram components on any of my bikes before, always been Shimano and now the time has come for me to go 1x11 but now the question is... Shimano or Sram?

By the looks of things they pretty much evenly priced at the moment 

PS: I currently running 3x10 XT on my Silverback Sprada 1 with a 11-34 casette.

Thinking of going 11-42 casette and 32T chainring

Thanks 

I'm running XT 1X11 with 11-42 cassette. 34 wolf tooth up front. Only been a week and love it so far. I've always run Shimano so can't comment on SRAM. I've stuck to what I know. For me, being able to run std freewheel body made the difference.

I've never had Sram components on any of my bikes before, always been Shimano and now the time has come for me to go 1x11 but now the question is... Shimano or Sram?

Thanks 

if you go SRAM and don't want to change your freewheel body to accept their 11 speed cassette (it has a proprietary design that warrants a different body to normal) then get the XT 11-42 cassette in place of the SRAM one. 

Thanks 

Mmm, not really...

A FULL XT groupset will set you back under 10K at current local online store pricing.

A GX "groupset" doesn't include brakes, and will run you over 10k...

The GX groupset (excluding brakes) is available from Cycle Factory (GXP or BB30) at under R8k & a SRAM DX free hub body for American Classic or Hope hubs, is between R899 - R1299.

And then you got everything you need for smooth 1x11 shifting on a 10-42T drive train !

CFS

Archived