Cycling No Nos!

Patchelicious

I do the majority of my training on my MTB, on the tar. More rolling resistance, less aerodynamics, and less speed to hold higher power numbers at, therefore a shorter distance to travel to get the same work done, plus no terrain to negotiate so power can be managed more easily.

The only laughing I'll do is when you're shocked that as soon as I hit technical, rocky, difficult terrain, I disappear into the distance.

Coz I'm fast, way faster than you.

And you, and you, and you , and you too...

Uh, ok. Now here I was under the impression tar gives less resistance seeing that it is a compacted surface. Dirt is loose, sandy strewn with rocks and litter that you need to dodge while keeping cadence and power up.

Anyone got slicks for me I can put on my DS? I have wasted my time on dirt.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems to be an issue on ANY mtb race. What my buddy and I have discovered is that the riders who do this (MAJORITY of them), race past on flats and hills, are roadies that have finally evolved forwards to Mountain Biking.

The moment they see a pebble (use same "thumb and forefinger 3mm apart and look at it") they hit the brakes and go into full blown panic as if the grand canyon just opened in front of them.  Like those "massive" rollers at Big Red Barn on the USN race or the mud puddle that will dirty their fancy carbon road shoes. Or the "gnarly" rock garden that is actually just a tiny bit of loose sand and pebbles.

And in true roadie style (again MOSTLY, not all of them), they will be arrogant A-Holes and block the entire path and waste every ones time coz they didn't think to skill up, as well as nut up, for an OFF road race.

This is a Mountain Bike race. Not a Bring-Your-Bike-Hike! If you cant ride the simplest of "technical obstacles"(pebbles and mini rollers), Don't enter and ruin every one else's day.

How did you end up behind someone in the first place? 

How did you end up behind someone in the first place? 

Easy, I was off the bike for 10 years due to injury. Had to start again from the back. Sad reality of seeding. 

Easy, I was off the bike for 10 years due to injury. Had to start again from the back. Sad reality of seeding.

Don't make your seeding issues the poor dirty roadies problem! ;)

Uh, ok. Now here I was under the impression tar gives less resistance seeing that it is a compacted surface. Dirt is loose, sandy strewn with rocks and litter that you need to dodge while keeping cadence and power up.

Anyone got slicks for me I can put on my DS? I have wasted my time on dirt.

I do believe that the man means an MTB on the road has more rolling resistance than a road bike .... not knobblies vs slicks  :ph34r:

Then again what do I know ......  :whistling:

Archived