29 inch wheels

Johno

OK, a serious question from a noob. Here is a short serious answer.

Recently I did a study for my son's school project on the difference between 26 and 29 er and found some surprising things. Short answer, on district road and tar, no difference. This was rolling down various hills without pedaling at various tire pressures.

On really bumpy technical stuff, also no difference, however, this was providing you could hang on with the 26 er. It was really difficult to ride the 26er without braking on the bumpy stuff, the 29er was quite easy. So I reckon if you are really skilled, then you could ride the smaller tires. My conclusion is that for us average guys, 29ers are faster over the bumps purely because you don't have to brake as much.

The handling of the 26er is better, also it accelerates better. Difficult to prove this with experiments though. The downhillers compromise between handling and ability to ride bumps.

A small correction is that most downhiller pros use 27.5, and the road wheel (700c) is the same size as a 29er.

Thanks bud. Not much help from the rest of the infantile bunch :eek:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but you must admit , You guys are a bunch of knobs thou. 

If you knew the OP was a gorgeous bombshell the answers would have been far more well structured and informative...   

Yes but you must admit , You guys are a bunch of knobs thou. 

If you knew the OP was a gorgeous bombshell the answers would have been far more well structured and informative...   

so blondes can't use the search function, then?

if you want to make statements make correct statements. 650B is not a road wheel (but i suspect you are confusing same with a 650C which are sometimes used on ladies road bikes). Normal road wheels are known as 700c.

if you really want to know the difference and not deal with infants as you affectionately refer to us, a quick google search will help loads www.google.co.za.

but since you seem a bit too busy to do such things you can have a read here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html 

this link excludes the marketing BS usually accompanying the wheel size debate.