User Review: Shimano XTR Di2

GrantRH

One area Shimano does have the edge is in their control unit's ability to handle instructions on multiple platforms. That's a true benefit in and of itself, but I'm sure SRAM is also going to be doing that in the coming months (if not already)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought for MTB a complete wireless system should have been developed from the word go, as that's the biggest weakness off road, one little branch snags your wire and its cut in half and you single speed home.

I guess that will be 2.0, just sad they did not do it from the start.

Agreed, Di2 is an evolution of a existing system/mechanism. Droppers, Tubeless etc were innovations, not evolutions.

Having said that, evolution is good, and is what drive new innovation. Like I said, I think a movement to electro groups will drive innovation for hub generators.

Yeah. Possibly built into the hubs as a simple dynamo (already in existence) - wheels are always turning, no loss of forward momentum... 

Possibilities are there, for sure. 

I would have thought for MTB a complete wireless system should have been developed from the word go, as that's the biggest weakness off road, one little branch snags your wire and its cut in half and you single speed home.

yeah, indeed. Which is why I prefer the SRAM approach of removable & fully interchangeable Li-Ion batteries (with a cr2032 for the shifters)

Correct... But personally, I'd rather have no wires in the gruppo for risk of getting cut. Yes, the chances are minimal, but if you suffer a cut wire somewhere along the line for whatever reason you won't be able to fix it in a hurry...

http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/sram-wireless-electronic-groupset-spotted-womens-tour-flanders.html#sRg8iPiZ7j57UgRh.97

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/sram-red-wireless-electronic-group-details-discovered-42174/

Good point, perhaps I should get an extra wire or two for those that are exposed on the system, just in case.

Grant, I think I was the first to ask for this review and I am impressed with the write-up.

Thanks very much.

Makes me excited to see the advancements being made.

There are always complaints that all bikes are starting to look the sameish, and then when something revolutionary comes around everybody gets all bullish about it.

Yes there was nothing wrong with mechanical shifting but the same can be said for many things that have had improvements made. Progress, there's no stopping it.

SRAM adopted the 1x revolution very quickly and everybody asked where Shimano was, well they were developing this obviously.

I see SRAM following suit very soon, if not they will fall behind very quickly.

I heard that SRAM's groupset is designed to be wireless. I also took this into consideration before buying my Di2 XTR. Imagine having to replace or recharge batteries for each component and keeping track of the battery life. That sounds problematic to me. I am a little worried for them that they haven't even introduced the road version yet, so many years after shimano first released its dura-ace. I think they are way behind the curve. That being said, SRAM are very good are introducing something new that people trust almost instantly. 

Wirelss, I'm not so sure.

I know it's probably different but I still pick up other peoples heartrates with my Bryton 40 occassionally.

Imagine grinding up a hill in granny when some dude motors past you, changing as he goes, and suddenly your groupset is also trying to shift.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster!!

I know it's probably different but I still pick up other peoples heartrates with my Bryton 40 occassionally.

Imagine grinding up a hill in granny when some dude motors past you, changing as he goes, and suddenly your groupset is also trying to shift.

Low power bluetooth and paired items, maybe? 

Hold up, We have car keys and gate keys that are paired to one another, I don't have some random opening my car by mistake in the parking lot, I am sure the same can be done for a little drive train.

This is coming - for sure - SRAM already have it in their prototype road groups.... gonna be good... :)

Probably yes.

Like Grant mentioned though. I have a wireles bicycle computer on my indoor trainer road bike. It is constantly having communication issues, usually solved by changing the batteries. Not a great example but shows the more batteries, the more problems.

I know a wire can get cut but honestly, how many times have you snagged a brake hose??

Probably yes.

Like Grant mentioned though. I have a wireles bicycle computer on my indoor trainer road bike. It is constantly having communication issues, usually solved by changing the batteries. Not a great example but shows the more batteries, the more problems.

I know a wire can get cut but honestly, how many times have you snagged a brake hose??

As I type this, I have been having issues connecting watt bikes, heart rate monitors and candence sensors to my garmin edge. It apparently will connect to any device I am not touching.

Hold up, We have car keys and gate keys that are paired to one another, I don't have some random opening my car by mistake in the parking lot, I am sure the same can be done for a little drive train.

And in the case of a broken derailleur, how does one pair the new unit? There has to be some allowance for new units, and a hard-coded pairing IMO wouldn't work in this situation... I thought about it, and then thought again. 

EDIT: The programmable gate remote thing though, that's a different thing (suppose the car key is as well, but that has to be done by the agents - meh) in that the user can most probably update the software to "pair" with the new item / derailleur. 

Will be interesting to see. 

Edited by El Capitan

And in the case of a broken derailleur, how does one pair the new unit? There has to be some allowance for new units, and a hard-coded pairing IMO wouldn't work in this situation... I thought about it, and then thought again. 

EDIT: The programmable gate remote thing though, that's a different thing (suppose the car key is as well, but that has to be done by the agents - meh) in that the user can most probably update the software to "pair" with the new item / derailleur. 

Will be interesting to see. 

It would be nice if it had a little button like on the garmin cadence sensor that when you push it then push the shifter it pairs. Then it ignores the advances of other devices. :P