Cost of stage races

Selous Scout (aka LegTrap)

We did the Storms river traverse a few years back and loved it.When enquirying about the cost for this year's race

I was informed that a team entry of 2 wiill cost R8700 EXCLUDING accommodation, which we have to arrange ourselves.

This seems over the top to me.Mountain biking has overtaken golf as the sport of the rich.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We did the Storms river traverse a few years back and loved it.When enquirying about the cost for this year's race

I was informed that a team entry of 2 wiill cost R8700 EXCLUDING accommodation, which we have to arrange ourselves.

This seems over the top to me.Mountain biking has overtaken golf as the sport of the rich.

It is what it is, and it will probably not change anytime soon. Too much demand!

HIT 3/4 STAGE RACES ITS HUGE MONEY

yesterday when i got my sani invite i decided enough is enough,,,,,im pulling the plug on a few stage races this/next year

HIT 3/4 STAGE RACES ITS HUGE MONEY

yesterday when i got my sani invite i decided enough is enough,,,,,im pulling the plug on a few stage races this/next year

DIPSLICK, that Sani entry of yours available on loan basis?  :D

I STILL SAY THE ENTRY OF A STAGE RACE IS NOT CLOSE TO THE TRUE COST

and yes i know there are a few hubbers who dont agree

for me the race entry is the cheapest part of a stage race

DIPSLICK, that Sani entry of yours available on loan basis?  :D

ive promised that thing to so many people,,,,i need to check my emails :blush:  :blush:

Dusi canoe marathon. R800. Excludes camping I think.

Dusi to sea MTB. R7000.

We are being milked.

That Dusi2c and Dusi Canoe Marathon is the perfect example, I understand that the cost is obviously higher for the Mtb race for the organisers, but saying that Dusi is over 3 days so perhaps the cost of food etc per paddler puts them closer together, but still 5 x the price, I have no idea how that equates.

Dusi canoe marathon. R800. Excludes camping I think.

Dusi to sea MTB. R7000.

We are being milked.

In Dusi they are using a river.  They don't need to dig a new channel for the river to flow down, you just get on and go.

In MTB there is sometimes no track and one needs to be cut.  Or multiple land owners need to be brought in and consent and ultimately get paid off.

You can't compare a river to a piece of land...

I STILL SAY THE ENTRY OF A STAGE RACE IS NOT CLOSE TO THE TRUE COST

and yes i know there are a few hubbers who dont agree

for me the race entry is the cheapest part of a stage race

I agree with you,it is the "hidden" cost that eventually breaks the bank.We have written off stage racing (riding as husband and wife team so the budget takes the full brunt) .We have done the 36One and Trans Karoo in April and spent 20 days in the Karoo for less than the entry fee of the JB2C!

In Dusi they are using a river. They don't need to dig a new channel for the river to flow down, you just get on and go.

In MTB there is sometimes no track and one needs to be cut. Or multiple land owners need to be brought in and consent and ultimately get paid off.

Dusi has paddlers sent down weeks in advance cutting away debris and make sure the river is open where needs be, as well as the 20km+ portage trails across private farms that they have to prepare, I understand the trail prep on the Mtb is a huge amount more but not the cost difference they are asking

I realize that stage races are very expensive, but I still consider it to be good value for money. I've just entered my 5th Sani and it was close to R7000 p/p, but that includes everything for the week - except if we want to stay over for another night and not drive back to GP straight after finishing. Included in this is 3 days worth of top notch cycling. If I want to go and do the Argus, the entry is a lot cheaper, but with all the associated costs it probably comes close to the same value for a couple of hours of actual riding....

In Dusi they are using a river.  They don't need to dig a new channel for the river to flow down, you just get on and go.

In MTB there is sometimes no track and one needs to be cut.  Or multiple land owners need to be brought in and consent and ultimately get paid off.

Fair enough but there is a lot of running in the dusi and those paths have to be maintained, much work is done in controlling hysanth on the river and other invasive weeds to keep the Chanel's open so the dusi canoe is not as simple as you make out for the organizers. The two events are run from the same start point to the same end point, camping is at the same place (my assumption) the same logistical challenges apply, so to my reasoning there is some merit in comparing the two. Cheerio. Ryan.

Archived