Cost of stage races

Selous Scout (aka LegTrap)

As apposed to a money losing business? There is a name for those types of businesses, bankrupt!

Cycling is a business, businesses exist to make money.

ok wise guy, it has become a bonafide moneymaking opportunity,

as opposed to races that are organised for riders by a federation or club or governing body or representative organisation, in which case the purpose is to present a platform for people to compete, not for the organiser to earn a fortune.

there are many sports in this country that have competitions and races as big and as much fun than a stage race, where every cent of money earned through entry fees and sponsorships go directly into organising the event, and those who organise it do so for the love of the sport.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as opposed to races that are organised for riders by a federation or club or governing body or representative organisation, in which case the purpose is to present a platform for people to compete, not for the organiser to earn a fortune.

there are many sports in this country that have competitions and races as big and as much fun than a stage race, where every cent of money earned through entry fees and sponsorships go directly into organising the event, and those who organise it do so for the love of the sport.

kumbayaaaaaaaa my lord....kumbayaaaaaa. good for them

Why dont you organize a multi day event for 500 bucks....full board of course. Build it and they will come I promise you. See if you still feel the same when you are dealing with participants and their unrealistic expectations.

kumbayaaaaaaaa my lord....kumbayaaaaaa. good for them

Why dont you organize a multi day event for 500 bucks....full board of course. Build it and they will come I promise you. See if you still feel the same when you are dealing with participants and their unrealistic expectations.

hey, i'm just answering a wise-ass question, if you read my original post you'll see i have no problem with people earning a living this way

I have taken flak for this in the past, but here goes again:

stage race event organising has become a bonafide moneymaking business. I know someone who makes upwards of R1,000,000 per year for organising two such races a year.

Yep just ask the organisers of the Munga - charge what you want and the sheep will come rushing

And then ask the okes who organised the Cape Outback, Mad Mountain Marathon, Lowveld Quest, Ride the Rock stage races - easy money...

hey, i'm just answering a wise-ass question, if you read my original post you'll see i have no problem with people earning a living this way

just saying brother....easy to sit on the fence and "they" are screwing us, different story putting up multi day event show on a budget

Medics / emergency services / cutting of trails / maintaining of trails / tents / labour / food / logistics / water tables / marshals / goodie bags / bike wash / medals / time to negotiate land access.

See that pie gets cut quite a few times..will be surprised if a stage race actually turns a profit in the first couple of years.

Rustig ou bul, sluk gou die hartpilletjie. Patch just made a valid and solid point and you're getting worked up like this.

We'll let Kev and his team and maybe Farmer Glen know they should turn their business into a non-profit. Then at least Sadam will be happy. We don't want an angry Sadam on the hub now.  :whistling:

Listen, I don't have time for getting personal.

All businesses are there to make money. Economics stipulate that there will be a balance between demand and supply. If something is too expensive for the audience people will not pay. If the perceived value is equal to or higher than the cost, people will pay.

If there are events of decent quality that are organized by federations and people for the love of the sport as you say, and they come in at a lower price point then surely they will be supported.

If you want to start an NPO and run an event because you love cycling, then go ahead, I will more than likely support your event, if its decent.

But what I cannot accept is people saying that other people can not run a business to be profitable. How dare Mercedes charge R800k for hatch back!!! How dare people charge us R120k for an S-Works.... well its simple, its a business and they would not charge it if people where not willing to pay it.

Thats the beauty of a free market, that if there is a enough demand for a budget Stage Race, then one will pop up soon enough. But without a profit even those wont be able to exist.

We are not victims! We are fortunate to have such a healthy industry where businesses are booming and people are being employed.

fleeced means you dont have a choice...I am afraid me/you/us do have a choice. I will never do the epic purely because I dont think it is worth it, but guess what, there are hundreds of riders every year that don't think so...So much so that there is a waiting list. 

Same goes for the one day classics...with some exceptions. I simply cannot see how a timing mat, mass produced medal and goodie bag will put a smile on my face. Others dont agree with me and will pay top dollar for it and get their perceived value. 

Whats the old saying, fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me.

Of course you are correct in the assertion that we do have a choice but sheez, running is definitely not an alternative (for me) and I am not much of swimmer at the best of time! So the choice is really becoming either do what you like and pay a lot for it (supply and demand and all of that) or doing something decidedly more crappy. Does exploitation in the context of "bleeding us dry" work? The value in a stage "ride" to me is the opportunity to go and experience some other tracks and places hence i do not repeat too many of the stage rides. Sure, it can be done outside of the organised regime but the convenience of not having to do all the arrangements does offer "value" if you are somewhat time poor. I am blessed enough to be in a position to be able to afford the odd stage ride with all the gear /accommodation/travel costs associated with it but unfortunately it is losing its value for money appeal to me.  This year it will only be the Namaqua Quest for us as it is wedding anniversary time and my wife wants to go and see the flowers. 3 birds with one stone = value 

Of course you are correct in the assertion that we do have a choice but sheez, running is definitely not an alternative (for me) and I am not much of swimmer at the best of time! So the choice is really becoming either do what you like and pay a lot for it 

Erm, not really dude. 

You don't have to do any races. You can still ride the trails on offer without paying the exorbitant fees the organisers charge. 

So no, in order to "do what you like" you do not have to pay a lot for it. In order to do what you like as part of an organised event, however - that's a totally different kettle of fish. 

Of course you are correct in the assertion that we do have a choice but sheez, running is definitely not an alternative (for me) and I am not much of swimmer at the best of time! So the choice is really becoming either do what you like and pay a lot for it (supply and demand and all of that) or doing something decidedly more crappy. Does exploitation in the context of "bleeding us dry" work? The value in a stage "ride" to me is the opportunity to go and experience some other tracks and places hence i do not repeat too many of the stage rides. Sure, it can be done outside of the organised regime but the convenience of not having to do all the arrangements does offer "value" if you are somewhat time poor. I am blessed enough to be in a position to be able to afford the odd stage ride with all the gear /accommodation/travel costs associated with it but unfortunately it is losing its value for money appeal to me.  This year it will only be the Namaqua Quest for us as it is wedding anniversary time and my wife wants to go and see the flowers. 3 birds with one stone = value 

No no no...I think you misunderstood. Here is the deal.

Get a rigid SS that is near on maintenance free and ride your local trails you havent before with some buddies, call it a recce session(those are best, you almost always get lost and have a beer somewhere and of course great humor) That there puts just as big of a smile on my face than someone enjoying a stage race on his 130k bike. You dont have to have an Sworks with XX1, riding the epic to have a good time, in fact I bet you might have a better time if you have a cool group of mates riding out to gatgoggaslaagte without knowing where you actually should be going, instead of suffering to beat X time at the epic.

If you want the convenience of support(water tables and race villages) well then hoes...its your choice. Doesnt mean it is more fun though

Dusi has paddlers sent down weeks in advance cutting away debris and make sure the river is open where needs be, as well as the 20km+ portage trails across private farms that they have to prepare, I understand the trail prep on the Mtb is a huge amount more but not the cost difference they are asking

Why should the cost of something have anything to do with it's price?

oh snap....one liner from you kills all arguments.

I do not earn enough moola to enter stage races anymore.so I settled to riding my bike with some friends without any time in mind and the entry fee is a few beers after the ride.to each his own though.

I am adding this to all my sales proposals!!

See that pie gets cut quite a few times..will be surprised if a stage race actually turns a profit in the first couple of years.

The higher prices / profits go to the people who took the risk and hung in there to see the returns.  I wouldn't begrudge anyone who worked hard to get into that position.

In July a few of us are riding in Grabouw for two days.

Accommodation R260 (2 nights @ R130)

Food +-R150

Land Access permits +-R100

Total = R510

Benefits: 1. no waiting for people on singletrack. 2. decent showers and toilets 3. sleep on a bed in a chalet not on the ground in a tent. 4. beer at retail prices, not restuarant prices.

No brainer to me.

Archived