How did you improve your cycling

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest improvements came as a result of high intensity training during weekdays. You have to push yourself to get results. I would say start off with 45 min sessions and cap it off at an hour. The key though is intervals and high intensity. On the weekend you can do a more relaxed longer ride.

This is basically what I do and I've improved immensely.

My biggest improvements came as a result of high intensity training during weekdays. You have to push yourself to get results. I would say start off with 45 min sessions and cap it off at an hour. The key though is intervals and high intensity. On the weekend you can do a more relaxed longer ride.

This is basically what I do and I've improved immensely.

I ride the same way. Only got an hour before dark when I ride during the week, so I push it hard. Weekends I hit the trails and do longer more paced rides.

Seems to have helped me too.

Took some of the advice on this thread yesterday. Over the last 3 months I've been trying to ride Sat&Sun to get more ride time, and thinking I can build up my fitness to do longer distances ... I always "pace myself" so as to not bonk resulting in a consistent pace but not getting much faster.

Yesterday I pushed as hard as I was capable for a 30km ride and I managed to increase my pace by 3km/hr..pretty cuffed with that ;)

Tx ppl.

Interval training....particularly "Revolver"....15 minutes of pure undeniable leg-destroying, heart-pounding, fat burning, sweat-draining PAIN (if done right)

Also....if you poor like me and can't afford a power meter....Trainerroad. Remarkably accurate with sooooo much beautiful pain. I used my Giant Mag 2 indoor trainer, my iPad, a Bluetooth speed and cadence meter and a Polar H7 heart rate monitor. It also works great with Ant+ on your laptop.

1. Went from flat pedals to clipless pedals.

2.Started to ride further and more often.

3.Started racing a lot more.

4.Downloaded Strava and used segments as intervals.

5.Did a lot of HIIT training.

6.Got an indoor trainer

7.Got a better bike

8.Got a HRM

and hopefully I can get a power meter in no.9 ;)

My first race was 94.7 MTB 30km did it in 2 hours 2012 

to a 2;42 on the 94.7 Cycle Challenge last year  2014

thanks again to all for your replies and advice. high intensity would then be what I have to focus on going forward.

Just looking at my polar data from this week, how would you say i'm doing ?

Thursday morning - circuit - 31km, 30km average. Pushing very hard. rode 2 laps with a group, 4 laps alone.

Z3 - 16%

Z4 - 73%

Z5 - 4%

Saturday morning - suncoast to Umhlanga, 54km, 21.9km average with 550m of elevation. moderate to hard. riding alone

Z2 - 24%

Z3 - 26%

Z4 - 41%

Sunday morning - suncoast to Umhlanga, 45km, 18.9km average with 300m of elevation. easy [got my cousin into cycling, his 3rd time on a bike so I was cruising with him]

Z1 - 54%

Z2 - 35%

Z3 - 14% - did some short sprints in-between.

I can handle +/- 75km distance comfortably riding alone, at average of 22-24km with about 800m elevation. With the Amashova and 94.7 coming up, I will focus more and hill work as thats what really gets me down but I know I need to also increase my distance to be able to handle a 100km ride.

Taking a different approach this year..

Plenty running in the winter months, averaging 35k/week. I can't face the early morning rides on weekends. Plus a certain 16 month old is particularly demanding at the moment.

I have also started 6 months of Bodytec once a week to build strength.

I came off a strong base at the end of March so will be interested to see how things go when I get back on the bike in August. Then it will be 3 IDT pain cave sessions per week, 3-4 hr long ride on the weekend and a Bodytec session Every Monday

I signed up with a cycling coach 6 weeks prior to the Argus and within a couple of weeks a could notice the difference.

My cycling buddies also remarked on my improvement. I was very disappointed that the Argus burned down, because I'm pretty sure that I would have rode a PB.

Taking a different approach this year..

Plenty running in the winter months, averaging 35k/week. I can't face the early morning rides on weekends. Plus a certain 16 month old is particularly demanding at the moment.

I have also started 6 months of Bodytec once a week to build strength.

I came off a strong base at the end of March so will be interested to see how things go when I get back on the bike in August. Then it will be 3 IDT pain cave sessions per week, 3-4 hr long ride on the weekend and a Bodytec session Every Monday

Bump this thread to let us know how it went chom. Sounds like you bringing the PAIN!

thanks again to all for your replies and advice. high intensity would then be what I have to focus on going forward.

Just looking at my polar data from this week, how would you say i'm doing ?

Thursday morning - circuit - 31km, 30km average. Pushing very hard. rode 2 laps with a group, 4 laps alone.

Z3 - 16%

Z4 - 73%

Z5 - 4%

Saturday morning - suncoast to Umhlanga, 54km, 21.9km average with 550m of elevation. moderate to hard. riding alone

Z2 - 24%

Z3 - 26%

Z4 - 41%

Sunday morning - suncoast to Umhlanga, 45km, 18.9km average with 300m of elevation. easy [got my cousin into cycling, his 3rd time on a bike so I was cruising with him]

Z1 - 54%

Z2 - 35%

Z3 - 14% - did some short sprints in-between.

I can handle +/- 75km distance comfortably riding alone, at average of 22-24km with about 800m elevation. With the Amashova and 94.7 coming up, I will focus more and hill work as thats what really gets me down but I know I need to also increase my distance to be able to handle a 100km ride.

To me it looks good. Just remember to do a variety of intervals not only long ones but make sure  that you cover the whole spectrum. I normally don't train longer Than 1h but I make the short sessions count and in last years 94 I ate the people on the last few climbs. Keep doing those intense hour sessions in the week with the odd long ride or two on weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

While I am sure this has been discussed many times, but a simple question, how did you improve your cycling ?

We are not all born with the genes to be a great athlete, so many hours of training is required to improve ourselves.

I have been riding for about 9 months now and have made some decent improvements in my overall fitness and cycling abilities. From starting of at an average of about 16km/hr on a cradle loop, I am now able to maintain 22-23km/hr around there doing 2 loops or more.

But it seems that I have now hit a bit of a brick wall in terms of improvement. I started of at 105kg, currently at 97kg and continue to work on my weight reduction. Goal is 85kg there about. I currently ride between 150-200km [6-9 hours] a week.

So question is, what should I concentrate on next to make me a quicker / better cyclist ? What training on/off the bike will make the biggest difference and simply how do I become a rider of who can maintain an average of closer to 30km/hr on a 100km ride like the Argus/Tour Durban etc etc

While I know power to weight plays a big part in this, I am never going to be 75kg and need to find other ways to improve. Do i just need more years on the bike or can improvement be done in a short amount of time ?

Do some XCo racing/time trials - hi intensity and fun instead of the deadly painful interval training up your local hill. And your skills will improve dramatically as well.

Assuming you ride a MTB obviously!

• 1 month later...

so since I started this topic, I have made some decent improvement. Weight down by 5kg, and speeds up by 3-4km/hr. Did a solo 100km last sunday and was up 3km/hr on the exact same route.

Yesterdays club ride of 75km-1100m elevation, of which I had to bail early as I had family commitments, so ride back was solo. I managed to achieve an average of 27.5km.

Now lots more work to put in to get to that 30km avg number...

Is it a good time to buy new aero wheels ?? :rolleyes: :unsure:

Archived