Toughest Road Climb in Pta East and Old East?

Cav'

Rose is tough but be sure to do it on weekends as you need to cross 4 streets

Try this climb, from Delhi Rd turn either right or left into Drakensberg, right at the circle into Club, left at the stop into Forbes Reef and then hook a right at the T-junction with Matroosberg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See if you can find the Deloitte marathon (running) route on google, that baby pretty much covers all off the above.

Rose is tough but be sure to do it on weekends as you need to cross 4 streets

Try this climb, from Delhi Rd turn either right or left into Drakensberg, right at the circle into Club, left at the stop into Forbes Reef and then hook a right at the T-junction with Matroosberg

Worse......

Delhi Rd turn either right or left into Drakensberg....straight up in Drakensberg until you reach Matroosberg.  Then right all the way up....right into Forbes Reef.  At T junction left into Club.......all the way up with Club then left into Raymond....Raymond becomes Sanford.....and this a NASTY piece of gradient and you finish off at the T at Rigel.

I did this stretch every day in prep for the Mauritius tour years back.

post-25-0-26366200-1435131767_thumb.jpg

Worse......

Delhi Rd turn either right or left into Drakensberg....straight up in Drakensberg until you reach Matroosberg.  Then right all the way up....right into Forbes Reef.  At T junction left into Club.......all the way up with Club then left into Raymond....Raymond becomes Sanford.....and this a NASTY piece of gradient and you finish off at the T at Rigel.

I have done that before but I don't like the Forbes Reef downhill all the way to the bottom of the Kloof

One can even stretch it a bit further north to Montana/Magalieskruin/Wonderboom.

Did loads of hills there too.

I would say the longest is Solomon Mohlongo from North to South.

Steep - Cliffindale or Stonewall in Faerie Glen

I live just off Cliffendale. Short and steep that stings after a long hard ride. I have to finish with it after every ride. Admittedly though it's only the section between Old Farm and Dullstroom that is steep (well... about 12%). Riding it from Wisteria to Koedoeberg makes it a little longer but it flattens out towards the end though.

Stonewall is steep, but very short.

While your in the area, also check out Alaska to Amersfoort road. Amersfoort ends in Cliffendale. Similar elevation to that of Cliffendale but with a bit of a twist. Not overly tough though but I enjoy it.

The best hill IMO for interval training is Wagon Wheel Ave into Slinger place. It's just off Hans Strydom, just before the small Hans climb.

I live just off Cliffendale. Short and steep that stings after a long hard ride. I have to finish with it after every ride. Admittedly though it's only the section between Old Farm and Dullstroom that is steep (well... about 12%). Riding it from Wisteria to Koedoeberg makes it a little longer but it flattens out towards the end though.

While your in the area, also check out Alaska to Amersfoort road. Amersfoort ends in Cliffendale. Similar elevation to that of Cliffendale but with a bit of a twist. Not overly tough though but I enjoy it.

The best hill IMO for interval training is Wagon Wheel Ave into Slinger place. It's just off Hans Strydom, just before the small Hans climb.

We must live close together then as this is also the reason I feel it is hard as I normally do it with 3-4 hours in the legs.

Will never be able to get close to the KOM on this one as I normally just drag myself up there to get home.

We must live close together then as this is also the reason I feel it is hard as I normally do it with 3-4 hours in the legs.

Will never be able to get close to the KOM on this one as I normally just drag myself up there to get home.

I often cycle from my parents house on the weekends, they stay in Koedoeberg - and I have to agree after a 4 hour ride coming back and going up either Cliffendale or Stonewall no KOM's are going to be achieved.

Another nice lung burner after a long ride is if you come up Manitoba, turn right into Alaska, then left into Arizona, left into Zeiss and right into Rembrandt

I'm in that Security Village halfway up.

It's a nice sharp effort after a short ride, but a massive mental block on a 100km+ ride.

So I did Rose/Klapperkop and a few others yesterday, And boy Rose street really did a number on me!

I'll try the rest further east this afternoon.

Worse......

I wanted to do this, but I got lost!

I concocted up a loop that integrated as many of the climbs mentioned here as I could fit in a (what I though would be)  5 hour ride.

I took it very gingerly since the old blood pump was running a little higher than I was expecting and there was lots of hills that would required lots of energy.

It was a tuffy let me tell you. yoh. While doing Raymond street I thought to myself that this is just madness... then I met Rose  :eek: . That lady tried her best to get me to do the walk of shame, but I made it, I was her daddy with 93km of the meanest climbs the east have to offer in my legs. Hehehe, it felt good to get to the top of Rose :D

The Garmin 500 showed 2267m ascent for the 122km:

https://www.strava.com/activities/334047404

That be Tom Jenkins.......

Lots of eina there.

Tom Jenkins has clear 'No Cycling' signs both at the top and bottom ...

Tom Jenkins has clear 'No Cycling' signs both at the top and bottom ...

Except if you do it in a sanctioned race and have full road closure.  :P

Stop being so judgmental.  :rolleyes:

Archived