Gutsy trio to ‘Everest’ Sani Pass for Nepalese victims

News bot

Extreme adventurers Martin Dreyer and his wife Jeannie are about to start one of their most daunting challenges yet as they join a worldwide effort to raise funds for the victims of the earthquakes in Nepal in April by mountain biking up and down Sani Pass in KwaZulu-Natal’s Southern Drakensberg ten times this weekend.

Click here to view the article

“It is likely to be a 20 hour long sufferfest of epic happiness!"

I can actually picture Martin saying these words - haha! Top trio for a good cause.

To add some info, Kevin has already achieved an 'Everest' by riding our local Old Howick Road in PMB repeatedly on the 20th Sept 2014 to raise funds for Qhubeka.

Wont it be a tad frigid in Sani Pass right of now? Going to be riding in the dark as well better hope there isn't a stiff breeze on top of it.

Had a chat to Martin this afternoon and he reckons the the top switch backs will ice over by 9pm. Would not want to hit that in the dark with a cliff to one side!!!

Wont it be a tad frigid in Sani Pass right of now? Going to be riding in the dark as well better hope there isn't a stiff breeze on top of it.

Pretty sure the Freedom Challenge record holders will cope with the conditions...

Benki pulled out after 5 laps, 4500m. Last I heard, Martin and Jeannie were both still at it.

Benki pulled out after 5 laps, 4500m. Last I heard, Martin and Jeannie were both still at it.

They'll do it. Hard athletes those two.

They finished

Finished as in "they have completed the Everest challenge" or as in "they are now completely stuffed" ?

Just looking at Martin's kit, it looks like the same bike, jersey and helmet he wore when he won the FC in 2012/ 2013, (still hasn't adjusted the lopsided helmet strap).

If ever there was someone who 'deserved' a new bike now and then it would be Martin.

Ok before I get ahead of myself and compare him to the other famous Le Zouluo Blanc, I recon his about on his way to similar status, after all his best friend who he credits with refining his attitude was none other than the Pope.

Awesome successful attempt especially during the night conditions. Well done Jeannie and Martin. You guys just show anything is possible if the motivation and mindset are right. Well Done.