On Test: Giant Reign Advanced 1

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. And as Eddy says, the reign 2 is growing on me. But that turquoise!?

No no, that turquoise. Not for me. Yucky.

Do u get reigns locally now? I remember a few years ago I enquired and was told they not available locally

Do u get reigns locally now? I remember a few years ago I enquired and was told they not available locally

Yep. Loads of them on the trail. Same colours as the trance so it may get confused...

It was the reign x that wasn't readily available... except via special order

Edited by Renaissance Man

Remember, the 26" Enduro is a completely different bike to the new 29 and 650b versions. They're only related in name.

Not really, they are very similar. The 650 has the same front triangle as the 26er which was made until last year. They just slapped a longer rear triangle on. 1 degree slacker head angle than the 26er. Same basic frame design, linkage and such like. All have ali swingarms and external cable routing and quite high bb's at 350 mm. They also look damn near identical...

You can get an ali Enduro 650 for R37k with a Pike at the Spaz store in town. Thats pretty good when compared to a Giant Reign 2.

Mada3400 is correct, the main frame is the same on the 26 and 650b, but it's the linkage and stays where things have changed significantly...

Sorry, I typed too quickly!

We're not dissing your bike Mada, it's a great ride, my assertion was just that you can't answer Johnny B's question about how the Enduro rides compared to the current Reign by comparing a 26" version to it. The wheel size, stays and linkage makes for a *very* different bike...

Actually no, I think you can -  by all accounts the 650 and 26er get similar reviews and comments. The linkage change improved pedaling from 2013, but they remain the same mini dh bike at heart. The 29er is a different kettle of fish as all 29ers are. 

Actually no, I think you can

Let's agree to disagree. Bikes have progressed so much in the last 5 years that we're entering a fairly mature phase of incremental improvements.

Most high-end bikes are great these days, it's only slight nuances which differentiate them. Because of that, if one had to make a statement about two bikes both being mini DH bikes at heart, you should be making that about pretty much all 150-160mm travel bikes on the market; the majority of them address that need.

I think we're talking about the small stuff here (unless we're not), which IMHO means you can't directly compare the Reign and Enduro based on how a 3yr old model rides. If you're doing that, you might as well then just compare a 2012 Reign to a 2012 Enduro and base your purchase of a 2016 model on that assessment.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Let's agree to disagree. Bikes have progressed so much in the last 5 years that we're entering a fairly mature phase of incremental improvements.

Most high-end bikes are great these days, it's only slight nuances which differentiate them. Because of that, if one had to make a statement about two bikes both being mini DH bikes at heart, you should be making that about pretty much all 150-160mm travel bikes on the market; the majority of them address that need.

I think we're talking about the small stuff here (unless we're not), which IMHO means you can't directly compare the Reign and Enduro based on how a 3yr old model rides. If you're doing that, you might as well then just compare a 2012 Reign to a 2012 Enduro and base your purchase of a 2016 model on that assessment.

Okay lets agree to disagree. The 2015 Reign is a very different bike to the 2013 version I have just turned into an Enduro. Its longer and much slacker. Giant were late to the party. The S Enduro on the other hand has hardly changed over the years probably because it didnt need to...So I think it depends on the bike model and manufacturer ie we should not generalize.  I read the reviews of the Enduro since 2010 and found them to highlight the same strengths with little in the way major changes and/or improvements, bar the 29er version. I think the Enduro  was ahead of its time back then...

Okay lets agree to disagree. The 2015 Reign is a very different bike to the 2013 version I have just turned into an Enduro. Its longer and much slacker. Giant were late to the party. The S Enduro on the other hand has hardly changed over the years probably because it didnt need to...So I think it depends on the bike model and manufacturer ie we should not generalize.  I read the reviews of the Enduro since 2010 and found them to highlight the same strengths with little in the way major changes and/or improvements, bar the 29er version. I think the Enduro  was ahead of its time back then...

...or is now overdue for some improvements. :ph34r:

...or is now overdue for some improvements. :ph34r:

Some would say yes  - like a 62 deg head angle and 300mm BB height:-)

People are quick to forget just how good the original Reign was. It was arguably the first long travel bike (150mm) that could actually pedal.

Anything else by anybody else was just trying to catch up.

Lots of Spez trolling on a Reign test thread. This has gone SOOOO off topic.

Isn't there a dedicated "I'm a spaz who loves my Spez" thread.

Or something similar........

Oh FFS.

Someone asked a legitimate comparison question.

I really like the Reign. I also really like the Pascoe. I just happen to have an Enduro, but I also like the look of Trek's Remedy range, as an example.

As I said in another thread: Bikes aren't islands, singing the praises of one without being open-minded about all the other good stuff out there is just plain stupid.