On Test: Giant Reign Advanced 1

Iwan Kemp

How are you finding the rims? P-AM2?

CWC have Hope Pro 2 EVO with Flow EX for R5400... Seriously tempted to upgrade but truth be told the rims have been pretty solid so far, still running true just a ding or two on the side wall. I suppose the biggest upgrade will be a much better hub and slightly lighter wheels.

I have 26" flows on my original giant hubs and Chinese spokes. Its a good rim that can handle a beating compared to the very soft DTs I had before. Maybe wait until you have trashed the Giant rims and then just lace on some Flows. Giant hubs work fine  - no reliability issues for me.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 26" flows on my original giant hubs and Chinese spokes. Its a good rim that can handle a beating compared to the very soft DTs I had before. Maybe wait until you have trashed the Giant rims and then just lace on some Flows. Giant hubs work fine  - no reliability issues for me.

But the Giant hubs do not go bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Brawler

But the Giant hubs do not go bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Personally, I find the giant rims fine. For now. 

If I were to upgrade though, I'd REALLY upgrade and go the Light-bicycle or Derby Rims route. Carbonzzzzzz... 

Personally, I find the giant rims fine. For now. 

If I were to upgrade though, I'd REALLY upgrade and go the Light-bicycle or Derby Rims route. Carbonzzzzzz... 

Where are those lovely Chinese carbon rims available?

Where are those lovely Chinese carbon rims available?

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-mountain-bike/carbon-mountain-bike-wheels

EDIT: I've done a fair amount of reading up on the various options, and these and Derby seem to be top of the pops. Derby have a reportedly higher quality finish, and a slightly wider offering (31.6mm vs 34mm internal) but at a considerably higher price. 

Edited by Renaissance Man

How are you finding the rims? P-AM2?

CWC have Hope Pro 2 EVO with Flow EX for R5400... Seriously tempted to upgrade but truth be told the rims have been pretty solid so far, still running true just a ding or two on the side wall. I suppose the biggest upgrade will be a much better hub and slightly lighter wheels.

My P-AM2 rims did not fair too well at Mankele Avalanche this year. The back wheel looks a bit like a Pringle chip right now. It only just clears the seat stay at its worst. Hopefully, it will true up okay...