Suikerbos finally open to cycle

26er

How can one do a 3.5-4 hours ride there.

I want to go ride there next Friday, but only have 4 hours two full loops will get me in trouble.

How would you suggest one does a between 1 full loop and 2 full loops ride?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to go ride there next Friday, but only have 4 hours two full loops will get me in trouble.

For me a ride from home in henley then through Kareekloof entrance and the full big loop and back is between 3 and 3.5 hours. 

Best option for you would be to start somewhere away from the reserve itself and ride there and back to make up the time you need.

OR

Park at the Northern (Main) entrance and do the full loop and then you can do repeats of the very short loop untill you either popped or time to go home  :thumbup:

The last time I did sbr was last year,panic training for the argus ( me & my big mouth) the 42 km loop takes me 2hrs but then am completely knackered ,but 2h25 at any easier pace..but the issue is the loop once you start there is no shortcut back as far as I know.

Start at the south entrance. Do a long loop, followed by a short loop. Should give you just under 4 hrs.

Did 2 short loops on sat in 3.5 or so hrs.

For me a ride from home in henley then through Kareekloof entrance and the full big loop and back is between 3 and 3.5 hours. 

Best option for you would be to start somewhere away from the reserve itself and ride there and back to make up the time you need.

OR

Park at the Northern (Main) entrance and do the full loop and then you can do repeats of the very short loop untill you either popped or time to go home  :thumbup:

is the very short loop the 42km one ????????

How do you get to the small loops? Climb up to the top of the bendy road bits. Then turn left instead of right? How long is that short loop? Is there much climbing there.

I struggle to do one normal loop with out that extra.

How do you get to the small loops? Climb up to the top of the bendy road bits. Then turn left instead of right? How long is that short loop? Is there much climbing there.

I struggle to do one normal loop with out that extra.

Assuming you started at the south entrance, when you get to the top of the very long climb, when you have the option to turn right, to do the 46km loop, just keep going straight. It'll bend slightly left, with a bit of a hump, then a bit of a downhill. A road will appear on your right (do not turn down there, it's a 1 way up from the main/north entrance). From that point, you're on the shortest loop, which at a guess is probably 8-9km. You go over the hump, then it's downhill for the majority of the lil loop. At the bottom of that, it climbs gradually then there's another small kick. After that, it's downhill to a t-junction. That's the road that the north/main entrance is on (if you turn left it takes you to the actual entrance where you pay.). Turn right at the T and that takes you towards the main car park. Ride along there, and just before the 'cattle grid', you can turn right (this is the start of the long loop from the main entrance side. Once you've turned right, you're onto the steepish, and second longest climb in the reserve. At the top of that, there's a T-Junc. That's the same place you rode past before the long downhill, and the road I said not to turn down as its a 1 way. Turning right there will give you the shortest loop again. Obviously turning left will put you into the 58km loop. Edited by Baaisikilist

Assuming you started at the south entrance, when you get to the top of the very long climb, when you have the option to turn right, to do the 46km loop, just keep going straight. It'll bend slightly left, with a bit of a hump, then a bit of a downhill. A road will appear on your right (do not turn down there, it's a 1 way up from the main/north entrance). From that point, you're on the shortest loop, which at a guess is probably 8-9km. You go over the hump, then it's downhill for the majority of the lil loop. At the bottom of that, it climbs gradually then there's another small kick. After that, it's downhill to a t-junction. That's the road that the north/main entrance is on (if you turn left it takes you to the actual entrance where you pay.). Turn right at the T and that takes you towards the main car park. Ride along there, and just before the 'cattle grid', you can turn right (this is the start of the long loop from the main entrance side. Once you've turned right, you're onto the steepish, and second longest climb in the reserve. At the top of that, there's a T-Junc. That's the same place you rode past before the long downhill, and the road a said not to turn down as its a 1 way. Turning right there will give you the shortest loop again. Obviously turning left will put you into the 58km loop.

Awesome thanks,I think ???? Gonna give it a bash this wkd . Always wondered where that other road came from. Guess I'm gonna find out ????????

I'm smashing two 46km loops on sat morning at 7 bells.

holy big hairy bollocks...2 laps? Thought about that,but decided better of it. Trying to do some distance b4 94.7... Roped into taking my sisters place for a charity

We are riding there from Dunkeld on Sat morning early, doing lap and riding back.. maybe see you out there :thumbup:

I just hate you right now, I made the 57k journey in 3:18 and I was very proud of myself.

ok out of my league

I just hate you right now, I made the 57k journey in 3:18 and I was very proud of myself.

Its not actually that bad, its about 165km, 2000m and takes about 6 hours depending on wind. It really cool cause you ride through the city too which is always interesting.

Edited by Patchelicious

Its not actually that bad, its about 165km, 2000m and takes about 6 hours depending on wind. It really cool cause you ride through the city too which is always interesting.

Thats now a nice ride... :thumbup: