Desert Dash Namibia ... 2015

alfeldo

Two questions:

How do you plan for the dust in your eyes/how do you keep your eyes clean?

For the solo, how much/what warm clores do you carry with you from the start? I am aiming at a 23h, so will only get to CP3 very late.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dust: I wear glasses that cover my eyes pretty well, but the dust still gets in. Eyedrops every now and then should help.

I carried no warm clothes. You'll be riding the whole time and it only starts getting really cold from about 4-6am when you should be around CP4 at Bloedkoppe. I rode through without any warm clothes, but a thin thermal top should do.

Dust . . . . what helped for me . . . a little bit. 

Take a extra Buff. (normal one not the thick woolly  type)

Wear it lose around your neck. 

If car pass or dust is to bad (especially the stage after the Kuiseb).

Pull it over your face up to your nose like your going to rob a stagecoach in a Western.

It helps to filter some dust. 

PS.     yr.no said you might get some rain departing Windhoek Friday. 

Hopefully it is just nice and cool with a wind from the east. 

I don't have any faith in those weather predictions! Watch it change as we get nearer to Friday!

The last 6 years was effing hot with a headwind from hell! If we go on history, it will be more of the same...

Dust . . . . what helped for me . . . a little bit.

Take a extra Buff. (normal one not the thick woolly type)

Wear it lose around your neck.

If car pass or dust is to bad (especially the stage after the Kuiseb).

Pull it over your face up to your nose like your going to rob a stagecoach in a Western.

It helps to filter some dust.

PS. yr.no said you might get some rain departing Windhoek Friday.

Hopefully it is just nice and cool with a wind from the east.

I'll use a buff for mouth/nose.

My biggest worry is the eyes, as I wear contacts, and will be a mission to clean once they are full of dust

Dust will be a major issue only on st 2 and 3 and 30km on st 4.

But that being said - if you are going for 23 hours, you will be one of the last riders into each checkpoint and most of the other team's cars would be gone by then. No disrespect. Try getting to CP 5 and there are only 5 cars left, including yours and the race referee, for a spirit-breaker!!!

The guys in front and mid-pack get nearly all the dust, but the guys near the back get less and less dust as the race goes on.

I also wear contacts and it wasn't as much of an issue as I thought.

I don't have any faith in those weather predictions! Watch it change as we get nearer to Friday!

The last 6 years was effing hot with a headwind from hell! If we go on history, it will be more of the same...

Sias you're right.

One year is rained cats and dogs on the Thursday ( I even went and bought mudguards) and the Friday we roasted.

I think the last (and only) wet Dash we had was 2007. 

I am just hoping  the best for you guys . . . this year so far is has been REALLY hot!!

Dust will be a major issue only on st 2 and 3 and 30km on st 4.

But that being said - if you are going for 23 hours, you will be one of the last riders into each checkpoint and most of the other team's cars would be gone by then. No disrespect. Try getting to CP 5 and there are only 5 cars left, including yours and the race referee, for a spirit-breaker!!!

The guys in front and mid-pack get nearly all the dust, but the guys near the back get less and less dust as the race goes on.

I also wear contacts and it wasn't as much of an issue as I thought.

Thanx

I better start preparing my support driver for a long and lonely wait...

And how did you experienced the dash?

Does anyone have an update with regards to the medals mixed up? Seems like some got others not...

• 2 weeks later...

Ons span - the Survivors - het ingekom op 20:56:06! Ek is heel trots!

Disco man - baie geluk met jou klaarmaak! Dit wil gedoen word!

Ek wil volgende jaar weer solo.

Archived