Desert Dash Namibia ... 2015

alfeldo

Ayone from SA going to the event and have space available for me and my bike or otherwise only my bike?

Alternatively, I can drive and accomodate two people with their bikes.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Werner

Hi Werner

You might have better luck posting on the DD facebook page

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post is quite, very quite. Seems like everyone is to busy with training!

But I need advice on a checklist, as an solo rider what must I go?

Ons kry die laaste paar lang rides in voor die laaste week wat ons af ry Nam toe!

Sorg net dat jy genoeg voorraad het om die eerste 175km tot by die kar te oorleef.

Moenie die eerste helfte te hard ry nie, ry 'n tempo wat jy gemaklik kan handhaaf.

Dankie Sias, daai voorraad is nou om te kan oorleef soos gel, race mix etc. Maar onderdeel gewys behalwe hanger, patch bom en tube...wat is nog dalk ń moet?

This post is quite, very quite. Seems like everyone is to busy with training!

But I need advice on a checklist, as an solo rider what must I go?

Not riding this edition sadly - hopefully next year. But if you've done any 24hr+ MTB event, it should be similar.

My drop boxes for TransBaviaans and 360one were essentially:

• extra batteries for lights
  • change of clothes - especially warm layers in box coinciding with night legs. Dry shorts and socks too (socks are waterproof ones also)
  • extra snack bars, electrolytes and energy tabs (strictly used for emergency bonks, my usual fuel for long rides is real food)

Desert Dash you have a support car rather than drop boxes obviously - same applies though really. Just make sure you have enough other supplies of food and water in there too. Even if organizers provide it, they can run out, or you may just not fancy what is on offer food wise.

On the bike I had 2 front and 2 rear lights. Means you can wait to swap batteries until next checkpoint if one set dies, and also mitigates issue of light not battery failing. Also easier to carry spare batteries in a mounted light!

I also use a Garmin eTrex 30 on the bike for navigation - have got up to 70 hours out of a set of AAs and has mapping to make sure I don't get lost.

My Camel pak (aside from water) had usuals

• 1 extra spare battery set (I'm a pessimist!) for lights and garmin
  • snacks, electrolytes etc
  • money and cards (where applicable)
  • phone
  • external battery for phone - events close too or above 24hr
  • sun screen
  • bum cream
  • lube
  • bandana and sleeves - if not already on arms and head
  • light jacket - if chance of rain or cold
  • warm gloves, thin beanie - if it's a route I expect to get really cold at night
  • spare tube and snot plugs (I run tubeless)
  • varierty of tyre boots
  • multi-tool
  • spare rear hanger
  • space blanket
  • first aid kit - having buggered my ITB and knee last long ride, I'm now also going to carry and learn how to use that physio strapping you see people wear
  • snacks
  • pump
  • bombs
  • emergency fibre spoke (i've only once had a broken spoke and TBH, and although I used this I couldn't get much tension in it. I need to practice that for next time. I just rode on a wobbly wheel for a worrying 280km that time!)

There's probably some stuff I forgot!

Just think "I need to stay warm, hydrated, fed, lit-up, not get lost, and be able to fix stuff that breaks" and then list out from there.

Ry tubeless met 'n paar "plugs" en bommetjies. Ek het nog nooit 'n tegniese probleem opgetel nie, nie eers 'n pap wiel nie. Ek ry net die gewone goed saam. Die kanse is baie skraal dat jy sommer jou ketting gaan aftrap of dat iets sommer breek. As dit nog nie gebreek het op jou lang ritte nie sal dit reg wees op die Dash.

Diens net die fiets so 2 weke voor die tyd en ry hom soos jy indie Dash sal ry sodat alle "gremlins" uitsorteer kan word. Dan is dit net vasbyt!

• 2 weeks later...

Not many people on the Hub doing it, I suppose? 

We did our last major ride this weekend - 100km on Saturday and 106km on Sunday. The girls complained a bit and were very tired, but they hanged on and persevered. I am well chuffed and very proud, especially considering that one of them has never ridden more than 80km! 

The following two weeks are for recuperation...

Sterkte aan almal. Hopelik sal ek volgende jaar die dash kan ry.. Sias, ek sal nie meer kan kom inpop by jou kantoor en raad vra of sterkte kom toe wens nie; ek het werk gekry in Pta..

The route is marked. In the day you can follow the dust trails and at night you can follow the lights in front of you. There is a booklet with very detailed route descriptions of all the stages.

I think you should be able to download the google earth file to your gps, but it's not really needed.

Two questions:

How do you plan for the dust in your eyes/how do you keep your eyes clean?

For the solo, how much/what warm clores do you carry with you from the start? I am aiming at a 23h, so will only get to CP3 very late.

Archived