And then came baby...

You need to make the time for training. I stopped exercising in the first few months (colic baby) and then just got into a habit of not exercising much. Was feeling tired and drained to the point that I went to the doctor. He said the only thing that will make me feel better is to get back to exercise as I am used to the endorphins. I did even though it was hard at first, but starting feeling so much better and had more energy.

As soon as baby is sitting up nicely on her own, get a trailer. They are awesome. You can put the child in there, its got a 5 point harness so nice and safe, there is space for toys etc to keep them busy and then you can go enjoy some training. The one we had was fully waterproof so didn't matter what the weather was doing. My son loved it.

Or just get a really good running stroller. That way you can enjoy running together and just take turns to push the stroller.

The kids love the fresh air and it makes them sleep better.

Exactly how I feel, tired and drained which is due to lack of sleep, bo exercise and poor eating.

Like idea of the stroller/trailer and will look into that. Thanks

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our one is now 2 years old, we were lucky with him sleeping well from the start. He use to spit out his dummy out every now and again so you get the every 2 hour wake-up.

What worked well for us was to alternate the "on duty" days so you at least will have a better nights rest every two nights. At least you know when you not on duty that eve you can get a ride in or do a session on the IDT.

Wife not a sporty person but it helped her a lot by having rest every 2nd night, she also work so she needs the sleep too.

Talking of dummies, our little one used to take a dummy at night which soothed her back to sleep but she started teething and does not take a dummy at all now so we compensate with a bottle at night but she can take 3 bottles at night.

She is not a big eater though.

try your utmost best, to commute(free training)!!!

..."I have to get to work"

Wan to commute but I take and fetch baby from creche as wifey works further away.

Same here. Commuting would've awesome, but I just can't do it

Also have to take my laptop home and to work everyday and with that on my back on a commute to work will brings dodgy eyes my way.

You will get time to train again, albeit short high intensity interval sessions when baby is older. And then - baby is not baby anymore, and develop interests of her own. Guitar lessons, gymnastics, ballet, horse riding, tennis etc etc. And she needs to be accompanied (dropped and/or picked up, if you don't have to stay) to every single activity. In other words, you will have even less time then to train.... And her interests costs money, ie less for you to spend on cycling.... Kids are amazing - I have three.

Edited by cjlieben

The point is that there is no magic bullet. Two things to remember:THE MOST IMPORTANT- two of you involved. Try to really look after your wife and create some time for her to be away on her own. That investment pays back double. Secondly get used to the fact that your life has changed. Once you stop fighting it and try to roll with the punches it creates less inner tension. You have new goals now. PB's are for later.

It will take a while. But when baby is bigger, make turns, or utilize the nanny services at your local gym.

Just realize nothing will ever be the same again. Its better for sure, but there are some sacrifices to be made as well.

And just when you think you got it nailed, number two comes and everything is upside down again, yet somehow you seem to manage better.

My daughter was also a " aware" baby and didn't like sleep.

I got into a early sat and Sunday ride and commute to work.

It's Def tougher but I just sleep little less and drop the unneeded stuff like tv and playstation.

My daughter was also a " aware" baby and didn't like sleep.

I got into a early sat and Sunday ride and commute to work.

It's Def tougher but I just sleep little less and drop the unneeded stuff like tv and playstation.

Yup, less tv for sure or end up sleeping in front of it. Playstation....what's that..haha

you okes all a bunch of mofpappas. be a man and wear the pants - put your wife in her place!

do you think these okes let their kids get in the way of their riding schedule? the oke in the middle is having one of his own soon, and i don't see him planning on reducing his strava averages

tdfpodium2015.jpg

Ons positive is there is always wet wipes around to wipe stanchions and muck off the chain after every ride :ph34r:

I have a 5yr old and 11mnth old. I try early fast ones on Saturday or Sunday while the house is sleeping, and if I'm lucky enough to get off work early I take an hour quick roll-about on the mountain. That or the dreaded 5km run...

you okes all a bunch of mofpappas. be a man and wear the pants - put your wife in her place!

do you think these okes let their kids get in the way of their riding schedule? the oke in the middle is having one of his own soon, and i don't see him planning on reducing his strava averages

tdfpodium2015.jpg

I would think that cycling is there job and do not have a day job so they can train all day long and then spend time with the maid...i mean wife and kids...ahhh...the life..