And then came baby...

You have to make time and stick to it and you can't do this without your wife's support. I'm lucky to have a very supportive wife. She enjoys the Saturday morning quality time with my two boys (aged 1 and 3) and in the week we make things work. Yes, some weeks are easier than others but once you've made than commitment you need to stick to it. Sometimes I get on the spinning bike after 8 in the evenings when the kids have gone too bed. The boys and I cycle around the house when my wife is on the spinning bike. Keeping my youngest away from the moving parts on the spinning bike is still proving a bit of a challenge, but generally it works. I know that on the days where I "couldn't" get to my training it was because I was lazy and not because of my kids.

Cycling has been deeply embedded in our family life. My oldest was 4 months old when he waved me off on the start line of Sani2c for the first time, my youngest did the same at 3 months of age. 

We're going down to Trans Baviaans next month. We're 9 mates riding. They've orgainsed a mini-bus for the trip down. Sounds like fun, but don't care. Driving down myself because I'm taking my family.

As difficult as it may be you have to commit to yourself. Every ride is an investment in your quality of life and health. Make the commitment, get on the bike (even if it's an IDT, which sucks, I know), the better you feel the better parent you'll be.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to make time and stick to it and you can't do this without your wife's support. I'm lucky to have a very supportive wife. She enjoys the Saturday morning quality time with my two boys (aged 1 and 3) and in the week we make things work. Yes, some weeks are easier than others but once you've made than commitment you need to stick to it. Sometimes I get on the spinning bike after 8 in the evenings when the kids have gone too bed. The boys and I cycle around the house when my wife is on the spinning bike. Keeping my youngest away from the moving parts on the spinning bike is still proving a bit of a challenge, but generally it works. I know that on the days where I "couldn't" get to my training it was because I was lazy and not because of my kids.

Cycling has been deeply embedded in our family life. My oldest was 4 months old when he waved me off on the start line of Sani2c for the first time, my youngest did the same at 3 months of age.

We're going down to Trans Baviaans next month. We're 9 mates riding. They've orgainsed a mini-bus for the trip down. Sounds like fun, but don't care. Driving down myself because I'm taking my family.

As difficult as it may be you have to commit to yourself. Every ride is an investment in your quality of life and health. Make the commitment, get on the bike (even if it's an IDT, which sucks, I know), the better you feel the better parent you'll be.

That last paragraph pretty much sums it up. Well put man :-)

you okes all a bunch of mofpappas. be a man and wear the pants - put your wife in her place!

do you think these okes let their kids get in the way of their riding schedule?

Your wifey isn't a hubber, is she? ;)

Your wifey isn't a hubber, is she? ;)

no, but i put it in comic sans to indicate sarcasm! I have a two kids under 3, and i was probably the only oke happy with the shortened argus route as it still doubled my total mileage this year! tokai being closed has seriously compromised my options.

but ultimately it comes down to balancing priorities - you need to work out what works for you (that's both the singular 'you' and the plural 'you' as in the family) 

no, but i put it in comic sans to indicate sarcasm! I have a two kids under 3, and i was probably the only oke happy with the shortened argus route as it still doubled my total mileage this year! tokai being closed has seriously compromised my options.

but ultimately it comes down to balancing priorities - you need to work out what works for you (that's both the singular 'you' and the plural 'you' as in the family) 

I was just pulling your leg.

:ph34r: :ph34r: What do you do when you find your wife in your favourite arm chair? Take her back to the kitchen and shorten the chain :ph34r: :ph34r:

:whistling:  I'm only this brave when the boss (read *wife*) isn't around.  :whistling: 

I was just pulling your leg.

:ph34r: :ph34r: What do you do when you find your wife in your favourite arm chair? Take her back to the kitchen and shorten the chain :ph34r: :ph34r:

:whistling: I'm only this brave when the boss (read *wife*) isn't around. :whistling:

Hahaha...why do woman have short feet? So they can get closer to the stove...bwahaha...luckily wife is not a hubber or I would be changing pooh nappies for the rest of the year..haha

Thanks, nice to hear your story. It does get me down at times but you right, need to look at exercise differently and understand we wont be able to exercise together all the time.

I discovered that my babies slept quite well to the sound of a trainer - one hand on the bars and one hand rocking the cradle so to speak - that was the one thing my wife was happy about cycling...

The other way to get out and ride is to feed your wife Eglonyl..... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I discovered that my babies slept quite well to the sound of a trainer - one hand on the bars and one hand rocking the cradle so to speak - that was the one thing my wife was happy about cycling...

The other way to get out and ride is to feed your wife Eglonyl..... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Need to check the cupboards,might have some eglonyl left. Here wifey, here's a headache tablet for you....hahaha

Wait till number 2 comes along. Then life tends to become fun :eek:

how people with triplets still survive is beyond me!! 

All jokes aside - it comes down to prioritising. Best is to only worry about training after the first 3-4months once everyone has found there place in the world. 

Keep motivating yourself and know that somewhere in the future you will have time to train again!

Need to check the cupboards,might have some eglonyl left. Here wifey, here's a headache tablet for you....hahaha

Takes a few days to build up a properly therapeutic dose....

Takes a few days to build up a properly therapeutic dose....

Just might have enough to get to that therapeutic dose :)

1. When baby sleeps, get Zzz as well.

2. Get a good and awesome helper, especially during the week so you can go for short bouts of exercise after work.

3. Reset your performance goals for a year or two. Enjoy parenthood and give the inner athlete a time-out.

4. Eat smarter. Less exercise and less Zzz can screw your belt line!

Archived