Stolen: Merida Big 9 2014 (Cape Town)

am2

A lady was also robbed on the 50km route, also by the waterworks. She did not go off route, other riders found her afterwards. So this is 2 confirmed bikejackings. Dont know how many other incidents happened.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't happen often, robbed of your bike while doing a race on the official race route?

Sorry to hear op, hope your bike crops up.

Not sure what to make of your comment?  "does not happen often" It should NEVER happen on a race. 

Wonder where the other riders were? 

A lady was also robbed on the 50km route, also by the waterworks. She did not go off route, other riders found her afterwards. So this is 2 confirmed bikejackings. Dont know how many other incidents happened.

I think this is the same case...

2 different incidents.

So these two incidents and then the attempting jacking of the 2 guys, all in one day!

So these two incidents and then the attempting jacking of the 2 guys, all in one day!

Yeah, fun times being a cyclist in Cape Town. 

We need a way to make these bikes less desirable to steal.

An alarm system with biometric reader on the handle bars and explosives in the seat post?

We need a way to make these bikes less desirable to steal.

An alarm system with biometric reader on the handle bars and explosives in the seat post?

Self-Destruct button!

Next year I WILL DO THE 50KM WITH MY WIFE. WILL BE ARMED. FLAME SUIT ON. :oops:  BY THE SOUNDS OF THIS SHE WAS LUCKY TO STILL HAVE HER BIKE. THEY WERE 2 LADIES ON THEIR OWN. THEY HAD A SIDEWALL CUT AND THE MARSHALLS IN A BAKKIE STOPPED BUT DID NOT ASSIST :cursing: . LUCKILY ANOTHER CYCLIST STOPPED AND HELPED OUT. :clap:  :thumbup:  HER FRIEND CAN BE SEEN AND HEARD ON THE GO PRO, ASKING FOR THE MEN TO ASSIST. THEY JUST RODE OFF INTO THE SUNSET. 2 CHARLIES WERE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD, WHO KNOWS WHAT COULDVE HAPPENED IF THE MALE CYCLIST DIDNT STOP TO ASSIST. THANKS TO WHOM EVER YOU ARE. :clap:  :clap:

Tracking device in frame

I think that's something we'd all like to have, and some people are trying to perfect it. major issue is how do you embed it in the frame and get the signal out, you need an aerial of sorts - and that is easy to spot. have it visible and it gets removed ASAP.

here is a good attempt, but my view on this is that a GPS bike tracker is only worth having once all the dutchies put them on their bikes - until then it doesn't pass the test!

http://g02.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Gz3xHFXXXXc.XVXXq6xXFXXXz/GSM-GPRS-GPS-Bicycle-Tracking-Device-With.jpg

and let's be honest, every car should have a tracker on it these days - it's not like cars don't get stolen.

edit:here's another one - http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-technolgy-Mini-multi-function-Bicycle_60258545940/showimage.html

i'm quite keen to wait until road season,

There's a trend, these things mostly/mainly happen in Stellenbosch.

"Leave" bike on rack, watch these thugs steal them, follow them and almost sure you'd find abundance of stolen bikes.

There was a thread of someone who recovered he's bike, said he was gonna unveil all the info, but we haven't heard anything since!

I saw a bike that looked just like this in Somerset West main road this afternoon at 5:30pm, being ridden by "someone who seemed not to be able to afford the bike". It had stickers pasted on to make it look cheaper I think but the color and the brand matched, black Merida 29er, I would guess a medium.

Heard that they sell these bikes over the borders - The price we pay for bikes they should need paper work. Dirt motorbikes never used to need paper work now they do.

Do any companies offer trackers for bikes?

Arm yourself with pepper spray, pepperball guns and or ride in groups!

Archived