Gatorskin sidewall: defect, unlucky?

GaryvdM

On Sunday I hit a large stone, which left a hole in the sidewall of the tire, and the inner tube is sticking out.

post-41865-0-90972700-1438679800_thumb.jpg

The tire is still new (only done 500km) and the mould centre line is still visible.

Is this a defective tire, and is there any sort of guarantee to get it replaced?

Or am I just unlucky? If so, what can I do to keep using this tire?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd toss that tyre right now. I like my face the way it is, and my teeth in their current position.

For a couple of hundred bucks, it's not worth the potential pain if (when) it blows.

Gator on the inside and you put it on the back....if it goes flat it will not be any worse than a normal flat by hitting a pot hole or stone again. 

Ride it till it is dead

I had almost exactly the same thing happen on a gatorskin. Just like the others said, one sturdy gator in there and still going strong about 1500km later.

Use a 20 Randela note on inner - it'll hold up well

That is a get-home fix not a long lasting fix. If it get wet it will eventually fail.

Using a proper rubber gator is the only way

All my mates have gone to gatorskins and had punctures and issues almost weekly, I just keep on with my Vitoria tyres, not a single puncture in over a year.

That is exactly what puts me off Contis, Ive never ridden a Conti finished, I always shred the side wall.... the tread layer is great, but once you nip one of those side wall threads, it frays until it looks like n steek bartjie hondtjie, and then chuck away!

That is exactly what puts me off Contis, Ive never ridden a Conti finished, I always shred the side wall....

Had some issues with Conti sidewalls in the past too, but the more recent tyres appear to be better. (GP4000Sii)

As for the OP, defintely just bad luck.!

A gator as others suggested will allow you to get some more kms from that tyre before needing to toss it.

Watch out for stones, potholes, cateyes in future ...

Watch out for stones, potholes, cateyes in future ...

Yhea, turned around to talk with the rider I was with and then hit the stone :cursing:.

Thanks for the responses. I don't know what a gator is (and google is not helping out) but I will just go to my LBS and ask them for one.

All my mates have gone to gatorskins and had punctures and issues almost weekly, I just keep on with my Vitoria tyres, not a single puncture in over a year.

Oh boy, you're doomed now...  :ph34r:

Archived