The future of road bikes in SA

hweich

Looks like multi-purpose is the way of the future.

This is the 2016 Cannondale Slate, 30mm travel on the Lefty, discs, 650x42c. Ultegra 48k, 105 42k 

post-25221-0-71040800-1439287544_thumb.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats the ultimate do it all bike right there.

This one is my next bike.

http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Niners-RLT-9-Steel-Disc-Cross-Bike-with-Ultegra-Hydro-25-1335x890.jpg

http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Niners-RLT-9-Steel-Disc-Cross-Bike-with-Ultegra-Hydro-19-1335x890.jpg

Too much awesome on this fred already! Great start to a Monday that is actually a Tuesday! :)

Pista, I am with you on that Niner, she is gorgeous.

I have CX forks, wheels and canti brakes for sale. PM me.

This was my first option but varying reports on sammy slicks - often problems running them tubeless at anything higher than 40psi 

Hii am running specialized trigger pro 38c tubless(anything from 3 to 6 bar)

• 4 weeks later...

This one is my next bike.

http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Niners-RLT-9-Steel-Disc-Cross-Bike-with-Ultegra-Hydro-25-1335x890.jpg

http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Niners-RLT-9-Steel-Disc-Cross-Bike-with-Ultegra-Hydro-19-1335x890.jpg

Now the RLT Steel is a great choice! :thumbup:  :thumbup:  Now that we online, the pricing is great too with all the star-spec builds available. http://niner.co.za/product-category/rlt-9-steel/

We also have an RLT demo available. http://niner.co.za/product-category/demo/

• 1 month later...

After about 3000km i think it's time for an update.

the wheels remain my biggest issue. i put a dent in the rear rim on my 5th ride and in the next 8weeks it took me to get a replacement rim, there were a further 7 dings in it- see picture.

post-74433-0-77996700-1446290879_thumb.jpg

either:

• the rim is too soft,
  • i ride it like a MTB on inappropriate surfaces or
  • the tyres are the problem

my first solution was new tyres: i now have WTB Cross Boss up front [35x700c]. this is a brilliant tyre i can recommend. it has very good volume [more than the 38mm i have on back] and is designed for tubeless so i can run high pressures for road riding. knobs prominent enough to hook up in corners yet rolls well on tarmac.

post-74433-0-31282800-1446290915_thumb.jpgpost-74433-0-60426100-1446290915_thumb.jpg

at the back i have Challenge Gravel Grinder 38mm semi slick.post-74433-0-78916400-1446290915_thumb.jpgpost-74433-0-99530700-1446290915_thumb.jpg

very nice Italian that few people know here. specialize in handmade CX tubulars and this is their only vulcanized tyre. reasonably light [375gm and 120TPI sidewalls], but

• not very durable
  • came off the rim when i ran it at 55psi [with quite a nasty bang!] as it's not tubeless dedicated
  • although very wide, volume is not great and you still hit the rim when run under 30psi on rocky terrain

in general, i run the tyres a little harder than ideal [30-35] now to prevent rim damage

Comfort:

this is a tight frame for technical riding and i have certainly stuck to the wheel of very skilled mountain bikers in twisty terrain. it ride a good surface very well. on long road rides with stiff tyres, i think my old Colnago C40 is more comfortable and better for whole day in the saddle rides [i do very few of those nowadays].

Brakes

they are crap. when campag brings out hydraulics with mechanical shifting, ill upgrade for sure. 

Feel good factor:

110% ! i simply do not want to ride my very nice MTB on anything other than dedicated off-road rides

the wheels remain my biggest issue. i put a dent in the rear rim on my 5th ride and in the next 8weeks it took me to get a replacement rim, there were a further 7 dings in it- see picture.

rim.jpg

either:

• the rim is too soft,
my first solution was new tyres: i now have WTB Cross Boss up front [35x700c]. this is a brilliant tyre i can recommend. it has very good volume [more than the 38mm i have on back] and is designed for tubeless so i can run high pressures for road riding. knobs prominent enough to hook up in corners yet rolls well on tarmac.

IMG_2965.JPG IMG_2966.JPG

at the back i have Challenge Gravel Grinder 38mm semi slick. IMG_2967.JPG IMG_2968.JPG

very nice Italian that few people know here. specialize in handmade CX tubulars and this is their only vulcanized tyre. reasonably light [375gm and 120TPI sidewalls], but

• not very durable
  • came off the rim when i ran it at 55psi [with quite a nasty bang!] as it's not tubeless dedicated
  • although very wide, volume is not great and you still hit the rim when run under 30psi on rocky terrain
in general, i run the tyres a little harder than ideal [30-35] now to prevent rim damage

Comfort:

this is a tight frame for technical riding and i have certainly stuck to the wheel of very skilled mountain bikers in twisty terrain. it ride a good surface very well. on long road rides with stiff tyres, i think my old Colnago C40 is more comfortable and better for whole day in the saddle rides [i do very few of those nowadays].

Brakes:

they are crap. when campag brings out hydraulics with mechanical shifting, ill upgrade for sure.

Feel good factor:

110% ! i simply do not want to ride my very nice MTB on anything other than dedicated off-road rides

30-35psi is hardly ideal for these type of tyres. 3bar and above is where it's at and where they're designed to run - as per the notification on the sidewall. Any lower and you're heading towards MTB tyre pressures. These are not MTB tyres. At anything less than 3 bar it's no wonder you're damaging rims.

attachicon.gifrim.jpg

either:

•  
  • the rim is too soft,
  •  

attachicon.gifIMG_2965.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2966.JPG

at the back i have Challenge Gravel Grinder 38mm semi slick.attachicon.gifIMG_2967.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2968.JPG

•  
  • not very durable

Comfort:

Brakes

Feel good factor:

The Grail is a very soft rim and wouldn't be my first choice for a CX rim.

Brakes: they are crap. when campag brings out hydraulics with mechanical shifting, ill upgrade for sure. 

Hope have a cable to hydraulic conversion system.

I have used it on my CX bike and they work as well as any othe Hope brakes.

Have a look at them.

I like this bit! Just like all petrolheads end up owning an Alfa Romeo sooner or later, except that people keep their Colnagos.

My C 40 B Stay is still my go to road bike. I have had other road bikes and brands, but that one has stayed. Many people still comment on it.

BTW wrt the brakes there are many options - I am running TRP HY/RD calipers which are cable actuated hydraulics. I have them on my Cannondale tandem as well. Works great.

WRT the usefulness of the bike - i am in Craigavon just above braodacres where they are now making a major mess at the entrance to Sten City and it is stupid dangerous to cycle there, so I  just got my CX bike off the wall as I plan to do a road ride in to the cradle, but I will just go in to Chartwell to avoid the mess in the road works. Grind some dirt.

Its the future....

Archived