Matt Brammeier sustains severe injuries in high speed crash at Tour of Utah

News bot

Yoh, hectic crash. My guess is that that was a blind corner - coming around the previous slight bend to the right he did not expect a hairpin. And a total brain-fart speed added to the equation... Seems he tried catching the 3 or 4 riders directly in front of him. Ouch. Heal up well

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was not the only one misjudging that turn but was the most unlucky I reckon. Sure he came in too hot and out of control but so did others (ever so slightly maybe)

Wonder which is/was the lesser of two evils? Slamming into the Porsche or flying down the side of that mountain?

I'd definately opt for the trees (it's not a cliff - trees are set back).

At the very least you have time to look for a soft landing spot or roll. Coming to a dead stop at that speed is just bad news.

Yip, that hairpin was seemingly hidden by the previous blind corner

Slowing down flags or something would've been a perfect safety feature there

I'd definately opt for the trees (it's not a cliff - trees are set back).

At the very least you have time to look for a soft landing spot or roll. Coming to a dead stop at that speed is just bad news.

Tree are also not a good option, many skiers have lost their lives or sustained serious injury hitting trees. I cringe looking at the video.

Hopefully he has a speedy recovery

on another note, does this not push the hydraulic brakes into the peloton?

way better stopping forces.

my thoughts go out to the riders who crashed, crashing is never good.

The brakes weren't the problem.  He was sliding (limited tire traction) and then doing a stoppie (full tire traction)  The brakes were working proper.

He didn't need more braking force.  He needed to brake earlier or a net.

Or maybe better warning that the corner was dodgy, since he wasn't the only one to overshoot it.

Can't see how he could have misjudged the corner from the googlemaps view. Iwasnt riding the bike so I'll never know till he tells us but it appears he had a good enough view.

Can't see how he could have misjudged the corner from the googlemaps view. Iwasnt riding the bike so I'll never know till he tells us but it appears he had a good enough view.

Those PROs know how to ride their bikes hey

Something was high-risk about that twist before the hairpin as several got it wrong

Hope he mends well and can race again

Sjo. That sound of the impact sends chills down my spine!!! :eek:

Healing Vibes

Yes it was a sickening crunch. One of the first things that came to mind was how similar the crash was that brought Burrie's life to a tragic end......

Flip man I still miss him.