which is the best place to get my bike serviced

maya1984

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both chain and cassette are perfect, nothing seems to be worn, only need crankset changed to the bigger one i have at home as i find i only use 3 of my biggest gears on rides but would like to get it serviced as i brought the bike second hand  

have you measured it....just make sure. A worn chain might seem fine on a worn cassette and adding a new crank into the mix will destroy it.  

Out of curiosity and without taking my and messing it up, whats the best way to get your head around DIY services. There's the obvious google or youtube option, but I'm sure some hubbers have some advice on getting DIY ready ?? That is learning to do it yourself

PM me and I will put you in touch with an excellent mechanic that's just starting up his workshop

Out of curiosity and without taking my and messing it up, whats the best way to get your head around DIY services. There's the obvious google or youtube option, but I'm sure some hubbers have some advice on getting DIY ready ??

most of its degree by google...bikeradar and parktool have awesome videos are basic right through to advanced stuff. To start with these are basic things you can do at home with little to no technical knowledge

Easy

Remove and fit chain and add quicklink

Tubeless conversion

Remove and fit BB, cassette, chainrings

Fix tubeless punctures

Adjust torque on bolts

Remove and fit new brakepads

Remove and fit new headset

Slightly more advanced would be

Bleeding brakes

Bleeding droppers

Shortning brake hoses

New shifter cabling...inner and outer

Indexing shifters and adjust high low points on DR's

Replace bearings in wheels

Most advanced

Servicing forks

Servicing shocks

Replacing pivot bearings

Build wheels

Used to live in Bedfordview - Tony Impey Cycles always gave excellent service for mechanical stuff. I do most stuff myself, but he's been working on my mtb's for the past 25 years without issue.

Both chain and cassette are perfect, nothing seems to be worn, only need crankset changed to the bigger one i have at home as i find i only use 3 of my biggest gears on rides but would like to get it serviced as i brought the bike second hand

Find a shop where the owner is the one who does the servicing, and build a relationship based on mutual respect with him.

You will find free advice and professional expertise when it comes to the work that needs to be done on your bike. It may not be what you expect or anticipate it to be.

Be prepared to pay for his time and competence. It is worth it.

Anton at Summit Cycles in Crowthorn, Mike at Mike's bike in Greenside and Grant at Sprocket and Jack in Parktown North all fit the bill.

Try anyone of them.

I normally do all my own work, but I don't have the tools for press fit bearings and headsets.

Took the frames to Swiss cycles in rosebank - great bunch of guys and the service was excellent.

Will definitely be making use of them in the future.

I've recently had my bike at Grant -> Sprocket and Jack

Major impressed. Would def recommend them.

G

HI all 

I want to get my crankset changed and a bike service, i live in Bedfordview but dont mind traveling to get great service at a decent price, any suggestions would be great 

Rikus Le Grange! he is mobile and knows his stuff opperate in and around Cape town area his number is 0715115902

• 3 weeks later...

1. hi maya I would definitely recommend you go to mega cycles(mega mica)don't be scared I know its a hardware shop but they do bike services if you do go speak to a guy by the name of MIKE the mechanic I gurantee he is one of if not the best mechanic around I strongly recommend him

• 1 month later...

Find a shop where the owner is the one who does the servicing, and build a relationship based on mutual respect with him.

You will find free advice and professional expertise when it comes to the work that needs to be done on your bike. It may not be what you expect or anticipate it to be.

Be prepared to pay for his time and competence. It is worth it.

Anton at Summit Cycles in Crowthorn, Mike at Mike's bike in Greenside and Grant at Sprocket and Jack in Parktown North all fit the bill.

Try anyone of them.

Hunter Cycling Melville is also an owner based mechanic.

www.huntercycling.com

I like this...the more "bling" the shop the more focus is there on retail bringing in the money, the less bling, the more focus there is on workshop. This hasn't failed me yet. I try and stay away from workshops that have fliers talking about minor, major, 50000km service. I like the ones that ask me what I want done with a workticket specifying everything.

So you have been to Summit Cycles?......down to earth vibe.

(Midrand)

Out of curiosity and without taking my and messing it up, whats the best way to get your head around DIY services. There's the obvious google or youtube option, but I'm sure some hubbers have some advice on getting DIY ready ?? That is learning to do it yourself

Remeber......Christmas is around the corner

post-41755-0-15280200-1446139916_thumb.jpg

Archived