ScottCM

Selling my Suunto Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire if anyone is or knows anyone in the market for a watch...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=263721&new=1

Had a great year with her, but got a steal on a Fenix 3 Sapphire.

PS: Are there more comfy straps available for the Fenix's... the moulded silicon one from Suunto is just so much more comfy than the Garmin?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason I am glad they've moved African-X this (next) year to Boschendal is it gave me a foot in the door ito negotiations, since I can then do the sleep at home option... Still finalising partner, though! 

its what puts me off trail running. over 1500 per day just for the run...and they generally dont even provide tables. Its an absolute ripoff...and they all like that

Stretchy...thats a little unfair, they not all like that eg Oxpecker is good value, in May we paid R1800 each and got a good goodie bag, accommodation, Fri supper, Sat breakfast, lunch and supper, Sun breakfast and lunch and really good water tables. 2nd Oxpecker ive done and will keep doing for the "gees" and decent value.

We giving Glencairn a try this October and slightly cheaper than Oxpecker at R1680 it includes all the same meals, accommodation and goody bag...water tables yet to be tested but il let you know.

Maybe its only in KZN that the events are well priced cos we the poorest of the relations. ^_^

Stretchy...thats a little unfair, they not all like that eg Oxpecker is good value, in May we paid R1800 each and got a good goodie bag, accommodation, Fri supper, Sat breakfast, lunch and supper, Sun breakfast and lunch and really good water tables. 2nd Oxpecker ive done and will keep doing for the "gees" and decent value.

We giving Glencairn a try this October and slightly cheaper than Oxpecker at R1680 it includes all the same meals, accommodation and goody bag...water tables yet to be tested but il let you know.

Maybe its only in KZN that the events are well priced cos we the poorest of the relations. ^_^

Lekker big mountains that side of KZN... Check out Giant's Cup trail run.

Oxpecker is R2200 for next year. They have added a third (longer option) now as well.

Yeah, weve entered for the longer one, "Woodpecker" :thumbup: . After years of doing Berg n Bush, its so cool running it now.

Wolkberg is also a good value trail run, R1150, 60km running in 2 days, Accom(in a bed not a tent), breakfast and dinner, was even cheaper last year and it is a great event...

Wolkberg is also a good value trail run, R1150, 60km running in 2 days, Accom(in a bed not a tent), breakfast and dinner, was even cheaper last year and it is a great event...

Agree.

Last year we stayed in accommodation off campus. Some very nice places in and around Magoebaskloof. Was very nice and affordable (Entry was R650pp and accommodation R2000 for the both of us). Just extremely tough. After day 1 I said stuff this - I'm not going back for day 2.... But glad I changed my mind, because day 2 is stunning! I think we/I will be back next year.

I took the on campus option and it was plenty comfy, food was good and it was rather practical

That first day is tough, I went out a bit hard and felt it in the last 5km, thankfully the massages sorted legs out properly.

Day 2 was one of the most enjoyable runs I have ever had, laughing through some of those forest sections early on...

Found it on Facebook, photos look amazing! Now to work on husband..always wanted to go up that way.

maybe thats an outlier...but every single trail event I have seen has been ridiculous....like 150 bucks to run a 12k run...or....maybe.... I am just not a big fan of trail running because they are generally not affiliated to clubs and therefore could potentially assist in umdermining the club system. 

Heal up Lexx and Hacc

Hopefully solved my Trail running shoe need with these:

https://www.onedayonly.co.za/wave-hayayte-running-shoes-79568.html?utm_source=OneDayOnly&utm_campaign=99dc0c981a-14_August_201714-08-2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_34763bf86d-99dc0c981a-403182621

So cheap it's worth the risk - reviews seem good and my experience with Mizuno has always been great - hopefully that doesn't change with these.

No ways. I paid full price on those. I have enjoyed them. Light and good grip.

Enjoy.

maybe thats an outlier...but every single trail event I have seen has been ridiculous....like 150 bucks to run a 12k run...or....maybe.... I am just not a big fan of trail running because they are generally not affiliated to clubs and therefore could potentially assist in umdermining the club system. 

The lack of club infrastructure and national regulations does pose a problem for the development of trail running as a competitive sport in South Africa.  (or it would if ASA was not so bloated, mismanaged and incompetent).  The lack of a national standard for trail races means that safety standards, route difficulty and entry fees will vary between races.  However the use of the UTMB standard has provide some guidance.  Furthermore, the lack of club structures means that there is not a culture of volunteerism among the helpers, which results in "paid labour"and exorbitant entry fees. 

The real concern is that trail running has become a for profit undertaking for organisers, who will push the profit point to such an extent that trail running will become an upper-class elitist event focused more on the accommodation experience, goodybags , and "post race village areas" than on the running itself. 

It seems a waste to allow this to happen in our beautiful country, where everyone should be able to access and enjoy its scenery and view.

Hi guys.

I'm dom with this kind of stuff. Can someone please help me understand this and how can I use it to improve? What are the numbers on the sides for? I have read the help thing on the garmin app but I'm not sure if all the dots represent my run or is it comparing me with others? Are my dots the red ones? What is that line in the middle for?

post-25481-0-62454600-1502808984_thumb.png

Thanks!

Hi guys.

I'm dom with this kind of stuff. Can someone please help me understand this and how can I use it to improve? What are the numbers on the sides for? I have read the help thing on the garmin app but I'm not sure if all the dots represent my run or is it comparing me with others? Are my dots the red ones? What is that line in the middle for?

attachicon.gifIMG_4095.PNG

Thanks!

its all you..the red means low cadence and the other colours varying range of high cadence. Line in the middle is your average..number on the sides steps per minute

The lack of club infrastructure and national regulations does pose a problem for the development of trail running as a competitive sport in South Africa.  (or it would if ASA was not so bloated, mismanaged and incompetent).  The lack of a national standard for trail races means that safety standards, route difficulty and entry fees will vary between races.  However the use of the UTMB standard has provide some guidance.  Furthermore, the lack of club structures means that there is not a culture of volunteerism among the helpers, which results in "paid labour"and exorbitant entry fees. 

The real concern is that trail running has become a for profit undertaking for organisers, who will push the profit point to such an extent that trail running will become an upper-class elitist event focused more on the accommodation experience, goodybags , and "post race village areas" than on the running itself. 

It seems a waste to allow this to happen in our beautiful country, where everyone should be able to access and enjoy its scenery and view.

nicely said