Sandton EcoMobility Festival: October

ByronH

Hi All

So the EcoMobility Festival is definitely coming to Sandton!

Looking forward to using my bike into work :) But concerned about the traffic... prior to getting into the car free zone.

So I've heard of a couple of peeps indicating they going to park as close as possible to the CBD, and then hop onto their bicycles. And some others are just plain pessimistic about the whole thing...

What's your plans?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

So the EcoMobility Festival is definitely coming to Sandton!

Looking forward to using my bike into work :) But concerned about the traffic... prior to getting into the car free zone.

So I've heard of a couple of peeps indicating they going to park as close as possible to the CBD, and then hop onto their bicycles. And some others are just plain pessimistic about the whole thing...

What's your plans?

Same as usual: Cycle in from Randburg. 

Train / cycle. or both.

Just want to work out a safe route once I have relocated.

Edited by Gandalf

I commuted to and through Sandon for two years in the mid 90's. These days I avoid the place like the plague and if I must go try to use the train.

Think I will take a ride in from Kensngton for old time sakes.

• 3 weeks later...

Howsit guys.

So the City will be marking out four cycle routes into Sandton - from Morningside, Bryanston, Rosebank, and Alexandra. These are been temporarily marked out specifically for EcoMobility and will have markings such as tree wrappings and road signage to help guide cyclists. I will be uploading these routes onto the Freedom Ride website. We will also upload and promote the route on facebook to try and create bike trains along the route. The City is also planning to apoint marshals at major intersections along these routes during peak hour to help control traffic and ensure cyclists cross safely. This will of course be in line with traffic laws and will not be to stop vehicles everytime a cyclists approach. 

Hi again. As per my previous post, the routes can be found on the Freedom Ride website @ http://www.freedomride.co.za/joburg/cycle-fridays-jozi/

I will be starting a seperate forum on the hub to encourage cycle fridays in Jozi building up to EcoMobility and of course continuing long after it is gone. Keep an eye out for that.

The Alexanrda route isn't anywhere near Alex? Surely it would make more sense to come up Marlboro and South?

I have to say, so far the vibe in the office is pretty negative regarding this initiative. Our office is on the boundary of the festival and as it's understood, we'll only be able to approach the office by car from one direction. The villagers have their pitch forks and torches ready and are moaning with anticip.... ation.

As an occasional cycle commuter to the Gautrain station in Centurion, my gripe is that the Gautrain isn't going to cope with the additional load during peak times. 8 car trains are going to look like 17h00 Sandton 4 car sardine tins. Also, I cant cycle the +- 40km to work because, in my opinion, there aren't any safe routes from Centurion to Sandton.

I want to like this initiative. I really do, but I'm worried that it's going to do more harm to an already disliked Cycling public opinion than good.

Hi again. As per my previous post, the routes can be found on the Freedom Ride website @ http://www.freedomride.co.za/joburg/cycle-fridays-jozi/

I will be starting a seperate forum on the hub to encourage cycle fridays in Jozi building up to EcoMobility and of course continuing long after it is gone. Keep an eye out for that.

Hi All, thanks for the posts, and especially FreedomRider_MHD, will definitely visit the FB page!

For those whom are interested, i tried out a route from Randpark, Randburg to my office in Sandton CBD on Sunday, and have logged some segments on Strava

https://www.strava.com/segments/10480060

https://www.strava.com/segments/10478594

Cheers

business as usual for me as well. i cycle from woodmead to sandton almost 5x a week

i live in waterfall ! what route do you take into sandton ?

I would love to ride to work but I have too many dependents to risk my life with the homicidal taxis, crazy buses, blind trucks and generally aggressive Jhb drivers who purchased their driver's license rather than undergoing the test...

Thinking I should do a commute to work (in Sandton) again this week. Not too keen on those barriers appearing on Fredman and all the associated roadworks (will be dodging lots of stuff).

No problem with Ecomobility myself, but I think its a problem for most people (living to far from work to cycle, and no alternatives other than a drive, especially for the Westrand crowd like me). I usually get to the office very early (even if I cycle) so the problem should be minimal.

My cycle commute from Radiokop is via CR Swart, Oxford, Republic to get to sandton (and obviously staying of the major roads as far as possible). Can do the 19km trip one way a day (found that doing both ways in a day is a bit tough).

Hi All, thanks for the posts, and especially FreedomRider_MHD, will definitely visit the FB page!

For those whom are interested, i tried out a route from Randpark, Randburg to my office in Sandton CBD on Sunday, and have logged some segments on Strava

https://www.strava.com/segments/10480060

https://www.strava.com/segments/10478594

Cheers

That is brilliant!

Although I found a rather safe route in from Randburg to Sandton, I was having a problem on how to safely get from Rivonia to William Nicol in the afternoons. I've never thought of going across Sandton drive and explore that side a bit. Will certainly check that out. May be shorter and less climbing than my current route as well.

You on a road bike or Mountain Bike? 

That is brilliant!

Although I found a rather safe route in from Randburg to Sandton, I was having a problem on how to safely get from Rivonia to William Nicol in the afternoons. I've never thought of going across Sandton drive and explore that side a bit. Will certainly check that out. May be shorter and less climbing than my current route as well.

On a MTB. And I try stick to the paths and walk ways where possible.

Yup the gate connecting woodside road and Sandton drive is very helpful!

That is brilliant!

How does your route differ to mine? If you comfortable to share?