Sandton EcoMobility Festival: October

ByronH

@cat-i going home ...  go past the USA embassy, then down empire ... right into gordon ...left into boundary ... cross over the park .. and you at the corner of sandton drive and william nicol ... + you had very few cars ... since there are speed bumps and circles that way ... and an enclosed suburb ...

Great thx - will check a map and try that tomorrow!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the fact the the officials (or metro-police) encourage the cyclists to use the bus lanes.

The Fredman and West intersection is a bit of a nightmare (going south), since no-one knows what to do about the lanes going straight or turning right onto west.

The Beeld wants to do a multimedia story on commuting and the EcoMobility festival. They want to follow a commuter into Sandton taking video and then interspersing that with interviews. Any volunteers?

The Beeld wants to do a multimedia story on commuting and the EcoMobility festival. They want to follow a commuter into Sandton taking video and then interspersing that with interviews. Any volunteers?

Can I do it naked?

I assume your Afrikaans will have to be up to standard?

They are welcome to film my commute, it's 20min from Bryanston however my Afrikaans is te sleg.

Was that the ecomobility cycle bridge that just collapsed?

Think so, just heard it on the radio to avoid Grayston Drive interchange.... standstill and ambulances on site for the collapse.

Seems the temporary structure being built for the bridge collapsed. 

http://ewn.co.za/2015/10/14/Temporary-bridge-on-M1-collapses

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Pedestrian-bridge-across-M1-Grayston-collapses-20151014

Would be interesting to see if the correct tender process was followed and who was awarded the contract :whistling:

Would be interesting to see if the correct tender process was followed and who was awarded the contract :whistling:

I drive passed there quite often and have seen Murry & Roberts sign boards at the nearby construction site offices, but not sure who was awarded the contract

I drive passed there quite often and have seen Murry & Roberts sign boards at the nearby construction site offices, but not sure who was awarded the contract

From Netwerk24

Murray & Roberts, die maatskappy wat die voetgangerbrug bou, het gesê hulle ondersoek die voorval en kon nie enige verdere besonderhede verskaf nie, berig Alet Janse van Rensburg.

Royal Haskoning DHV, raadgewende ingenieursmaatskappy wat ook by die oprigting van die brug betrokke is, se ingenieurs en personeel is op die oomblik in 'n dringende vergadering en het gesê hulle sal later kommentaar lewer.

The commute home was one of the most unpleasant days I've had on a bike ever.

I know there was a holdup (and spectator value) just down the street, but crossing Grayston at Linden road with a bicycle was rediculously dangerous. All traffic cops probably at the scene of the bridge, so there was no-one to guide traffic, took three robot-cycles before I finally decided just to do what everyone else is doing and stick my nose in. Difference is I had no cage around me for protection.

From West crossing Fredman heading for Rivonia - impossible to do safely. 3 Traffic cops on the scene. No-one able to see the problem of figure out how to help me.

In Fredman - an official-looking person with a yellow dayglo-jacket on telling me that I 'must' give him my bike.

I can't remember when last it was so unpleasant on my bicycle :(

if the intension of 'ecomobility' is to get people to commute by bicycle, then today would not have worked.

Uber offering free rides to and from Gautrain stations (up to R250) till 9 tonight.

M1 most likely still closed tomorrow around Grayston.

Putco buses from Cresta to Sandton free tomorrow.

Gautrain busses also free tomorrow.

Ecomobility restrictions lifted from now and for tomorrow. Maude sounds like it's still closed.

Heard about the accident ... left the office at 4:30pm ... cant say that I was affected much... weird how different cycle commuters are affected ..

Traffic was heavier on rivonia ... but thats about it ...

How will they follow the commute? By car? On a motorbike? On a bicycle?

They will want to chat to you and review your route to decide on the best way to proceed. They don't want to inconvenience their subject, as a point of departure.

Archived