Shiny "silky" riding shirts...is there a name for that material?

L.T.G

Right, so... inappropriately hanging zips and in your face moose knuckle aside, I've found out a few things...

it seems like materials like (if memory serves as far as spelling is concerned) elastane, elastomer and lycra are used with polyester to give that stretchy, silky feel.

Thanks to Andrew from Anatomic I'll be checking out 2 materials they have as well.

I rode with a mate yesterday whom had an ASG custom kit , Ftech, and that exactly what I'm looking for... so I'm getting somewhere.

Thanks again for the input, both humorous and helpful :thumbup:

I was in a LBS yesterday which stocks Assos clothing and saw a really nice shiny black material used in what I think was meant to be a TT suite (bib type shirt and pants all combined) it was really smart looking so thinking of your thread I set about looking to see what material it was.... while trying to read the labels I saw the price..... Chf 319 = +/- R4300.00......

sorry but that's as far as I got 

Actually the print on the labels was to small for me to read, the lighting in the showroom was not good.... :blush:

Maybe check out Assos online and see what materials they use and also Casttelli

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no idea how to title this.

as mentioned, this shiny "silky" material that pro riders shirts seem to made of, is there a specific name for it?

or do different brands make/have their own?

I'd like some shirts made and if possible, use said material, but I have no clue what to tell cycling clothing manufacturers what I'm looking for :mellow:

Chat to these guys. http://www.dirtapparel.co.za/

Drop me a PM if you'd like me to put you in touch

I was in a LBS yesterday which stocks Assos clothing and saw a really nice shiny black material used in what I think was meant to be a TT suite (bib type shirt and pants all combined) it was really smart looking so thinking of your thread I set about looking to see what material it was.... while trying to read the labels I saw the price..... Chf 319 = +/- R4300.00......

sorry but that's as far as I got 

Actually the print on the labels was to small for me to read, the lighting in the showroom was not good.... :blush:

Maybe check out Assos online and see what materials they use and also Casttelli

Thanks SV... one of those materials I mentioned, I got  off an Assos shirt lable...

Have a look at www.ftech.it - under the 'Technology' tab - the soft, smooth material used for our top-end 2015 ASG custom kit is referred to as 'Airfit'. Feel free to contact lizle@asgworld.co.za if you would like more info ????. The kit will also be for sale on the following site in a day or two's time - http://onlineshop.asgevents.co.za

Have a look at www.ftech.it - under the 'Technology' tab - the soft, smooth material used for our top-end 2015 ASG custom kit is referred to as 'Airfit'. Feel free to contact lizle@asgworld.co.za if you would like more info . The kit will also be for sale on the following site in a day or two's time - http://onlineshop.asgevents.co.za

Thanks, sent through an email earlier this morning

Mercerized. It's an old idea but is very popular at the moment. Gives the fabric a sheen, allows better dye penetration and survives more washing. Imparts a slightly slippery feel to the fabric

Google it.

Archived