Bicycle Insurance - Help

Jackson123

It's a listed requirement in the agreement.

12mm chain.

SABS approved lock.

As a broker myself, i was actually looking at the option of taking out a cyclesure contract for my cycling clients but i have to say that's a load of ***. No ways am I gonna insure mine or my clients bikes on that basis. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks... Unfortunately the policy conditions on the Cyclesure policy require theft from your home to be subject to forcible/violent entry. It is out of sync with most other insurers, so as a broker, I highlight it to my clients at quoting and inception stages.

But it's so easy to fall foul of that requirement. I know I leave the back door of my garage open all the time when I'm home... Or all it takes is someone gets a duplicate door key from somewhere and then you're screwed...

But bottom line... read your documents and make sure you know the conditions of the policy.

Theft from Outbuildings almost always have Visible and Forced entry as a requirement for theft cover. (but yes, read your wording)

Theft from Outbuildings almost always have Visible and Forced entry as a requirement for theft cover. (but yes, read your wording)

True for Contents but unusual for a specified All Risk item...   So for example we have had several claims over the years where clients haven't set their alarms and then have had a burglary.  The contents portion would usually be declined (if the alarm was a policy condition), but if a specified All Risk item was stolen, it would still be covered in most cases (at least with the insurers we use, so double check your policy wording).

Another heads up regarding Cyclesure, that's on the info Justanotherbiker posted... They apply average (ie if you are underinsured, they pay out your claim less the proportion you are underinsured), so you need to insure your bike for full (new-for-old) replacement value... 

Seems someone at procycles and miway is good friends, my mavic cosmic carbone back wheel is damaged, I got quotes for a replacement from cwc and another shop on miway request. then yesterday got a call to say procycles gave them a lower quote to fix my wheel without even seeing it. both other shops said the I need a new wheel

Had a chat with miway procycles gave them a quote now to send my wheel to velosport in Paarl for repair, doesn't make sense at all

Saw some musings about Miway and Procycles and what their relationship is exactly, because a lot of people's bikes and wheels are being sent there or at least being told to. I don't know Procycles; anyone here know of them and their reputation in repairing broken bikes and wheels?

Saw some musings about Miway and Procycles and what their relationship is exactly, because a lot of people's bikes and wheels are being sent there or at least being told to. I don't know Procycles; anyone here know of them and their reputation in repairing broken bikes and wheels?

I am doing a full investigation at this moment.

I am going to start a new thread about this too and would like everyone that has a story linked to these two companies to come and share it there - I see some smoke

I have spoken over the phone this morning with Paul (owner of Pro Cycles in Benoni) and he said that Ian the guy doing all the claims with MiWay does not own or work at Pro Cycles anymore since the start of 2015 - so Pro Cycles (the shop in Benoni) actually has nothing to do with all this. I phoned him because I wanted to make sure that once I start writing my story and taking this further that we don't drag his shops name through the mud when it is actually not part of it all - it is the relationship between Ian and MiWay which seems dodgy.

I am doing a full investigation at this moment.

I am going to start a new thread about this too and would like everyone that has a story linked to these two companies to come and share it there - I see some smoke

I have spoken over the phone this morning with Paul (owner of Pro Cycles in Benoni) and he said that Ian the guy doing all the claims with MiWay does not own or work at Pro Cycles anymore since the start of 2015 - so Pro Cycles (the shop in Benoni) actually has nothing to do with all this. I phoned him because I wanted to make sure that once I start writing my story and taking this further that we don't drag his shops name through the mud when it is actually not part of it all - it is the relationship between Ian and MiWay which seems dodgy.

Could be an interesting little thread that...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155386-miway-insurance-claim-goes-one-way/page-12

If I could charge a commision for every time I have said get a broker, I could be a broker!

I have a broker actually and I have my car and house through her...she is great

Although when I started insuring bikes they didn't really do that (Santam only started handling bikes as a separate thing other than house hold content recently/last year or 2 or 3, I think).

I am switching over to her doing my bikes now to though..

I have a quick question for those who claimed already...

If i insure my bike say for R 25 000 and i do crash and break the carbon frame... if they pay out will they take the bike and i get the money or will they say its a write off and i can just buy a new frame to build  my old groupset on? So i want to know if i keep the broken bike so i can reuse the parts?

I dont have insurance at the moment but i think its time to take out in case something happens...dollar rand not helping if i need to replace.

If i insure my bike say for R 25 000 and i do crash and break the carbon frame... if they pay out will they take the bike and i get the money or will they say its a write off and i can just buy a new frame to build  my old groupset on? So i want to know if i keep the broken bike so i can reuse the parts?

I dont have insurance at the moment but i think its time to take out in case something happens...dollar rand not helping if i need to replace.

I've claimed twice from my insurance, once for a complete road bike that was written off, once for writing off only the wheelset on my MTB. In both cases they went to the bike shop and collected the damaged items.

If they pay/ replace the broken frame/ parts belongs to them. They don't always take it, but you can discuss that with them.

I had a claim last year and I still sit with the salvage. I wrote them a letter to come and pick it up- otherwise I'll dump it. Only thing you can use is the fork.

Archived