Jonkershoek permit prices going up

Pure XTC

When they should also be working on their skills. Only way we will continue to offer riders who can excel at the top of the pile, globally speaking. 

post-30447-0-45596700-1444654594_thumb.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R500  for the whole year!!!  That is cheap ass!!

Just the fuel, for the car to go and ride in Jonkers will cost me R1650 there and again R1650 back. 

Plain ticket will be more than R4000

One year to our bike ride area "aka the Fram" was this year R1000/pp. 

Not a clue. You'll have to speak to the trail builders and Trail center owners.

All I know is that there are lots of money in kids. PWC got so busy over weekends, they are now charging entrance fees for the non-riders. It's mayhem: probably 5 or more kiddie parties at any given moment.

You also make lots of money from XC racing. Money from sponsors and entrance fees are often the difference between profit and loss. That's why they (most trail centers not all of them) could not be bothered to build any trail features ( jumps, drops and berms) here in Gauteng. The number of riders who ride these features are tiny compared to the "lycra set" who wants to race.

Mhmmm it would be interesting to hear from them on that subject.

Catering for kids and kiddie birthday parties is definitely always going to make profit. Trick I suppose is in keeping it to manageable sizes hence PWC's need to charge non-riders at such events. Very tricky balance issue imho.

Aside from the national series XC races that take place here in the Cape I don't know of any other such races being hosted here. Generally in the Cape we seem to prefer marathon racing and a generous amount of trail/AM riding thrown in. We love our jumps, drops and berms and such like. I suppose it's a case of cater for what will be used as much as anything else.

Mhmmm it would be interesting to hear from them on that subject.

Catering for kids and kiddie birthday parties is definitely always going to make profit. Trick I suppose is in keeping it to manageable sizes hence PWC's need to charge non-riders at such events. Very tricky balance issue imho.

Aside from the national series XC races that take place here in the Cape I don't know of any other such races being hosted here. Generally in the Cape we seem to prefer marathon racing and a generous amount of trail/AM riding thrown in. We love our jumps, drops and berms and such like. I suppose it's a case of cater for what will be used as much as anything else.

With "XC" I meant Marathon, not XCO. Up here trail/AM features cause bottle necks at the races. The last time I asked a trail owner to please add some features, I got this reply: " We were advised by our legal counsel not to add any jumps, as someone might get hurt" :(

With "XC" I meant Marathon, not XCO. Up here trail/AM features cause bottle necks at the races. The last time I asked a trail owner to please add some features, I got this reply: " We were advised by our legal counsel not to add any jumps, as someone might get hurt" :(

WHAT THE F****. 

That's what a trail rating / feature warning is for. FFS. And professional indemnity insurance. 

Or, how's about this - take some farking ownership of your skill level, and realise when you're out of your depth / pushing your envelope realise that CRASHES HAPPEN. It's part of the progression race, and actually becoming a better rider. 

Screw that mentality. 

WHAT THE F****. 

That's what a trail rating / feature warning is for. FFS. And professional indemnity insurance. 

Or, how's about this - take some farking ownership of your skill level, and realise when you're out of your depth / pushing your envelope realise that CRASHES HAPPEN. It's part of the progression race, and actually becoming a better rider. 

Screw that mentality.

Yip! I'll have to waste another morning at Avianto to go and take some pictures of the warning signs on that trail. A gentle 45deg slope with no step gets a massive warning sign that reads: Warning drop off ahead! Boy, are some people going to get a surprise riding the new trails at Jonkers...

But getting back to the topic: The stuff that Bennett and Hilton are building looks absolutely amazing! I'll gladly pay R100 a ride. You guys are spoiled, and should never complain about trail fees.

We'll be down there from 14 December, we should hook up for a ride!

R500  for the whole year!!!  That is cheap ass!!

Just the fuel, for the car to go and ride in Jonkers will cost me R1650 there and again R1650 back. 

While that does sound like a good rate for ass, I suspect you mean "as".

Oops my bad re XC.

As for the trail/AM features: Myles is spot on. Skills progression starts with the individual rider who is/should be assisted by a skilled trail builder via challenging courses and obstacles. Race organisers should be clear on the level of skill required to finish the race through signage and clear communication with the riding public. I mean how hard can it be to put a 'Warning this course has (put IMBA level) technical features' on the flyer for the race.

Oops my bad re XC.

As for the trail/AM features: Myles is spot on. Skills progression starts with the individual rider who is/should be assisted by a skilled trail builder via challenging courses and obstacles. Race organisers should be clear on the level of skill required to finish the race through signage and clear communication with the riding public. I mean how hard can it be to put a 'Warning this course has (put IMBA level) technical features' on the flyer for the race.

This discussion needs it's own thread. I'm starting one now.

R500 for the whole year!!! That is cheap ass!!

Eek! That's steep dude. Is it a profit based thing and is there any features/obstacles that they need to maintain or is it purely for access?

I think the ticket/permit costs need to be put in perspective.

An annual fee of R500 to ride at Tokai is a bargain if you ride there regularly like me (after work rides in summer for two hours or less). R500 is decidedly expensive if you don't want to ride slog climbs on Table Mountain and only do so a few times a year. There is no easy day permit option for TM. In addition TMNP don't have a great family option as far as I can see - just buy more permits at ever increasing expense. MTO have one for R700 which is a total bargain if you live close by. So i will be a rogue on the few occasions I go and ride on TMNP land and when Tokai reopens I'll buy a permit. Had TMNP halved the annual permit until Tokai was open I'd be buying one simply because I liked the gesture. 

The fact that MTO are building trails madly makes me want to buy a family option there simply because I like their attitude even though its a bit of a drive for me to go ride there...

From FB, it looks as if Jonkers will be officially open very soon indeed. The new long red route from the Never ending Story trail head area sounds like a beaut - typical Bennet Nel stuff probably with lots of avoidable features like jumps and gaps and so on.

The Black route is aimed at long travel bikes and body armour and from the pics looks nice and scary - a place to progress your skills...

From FB, it looks as if Jonkers will be officially open very soon indeed. The new long red route from the Never ending Story trail head area sounds like a beaut - typical Bennet Nel stuff probably with lots of avoidable features like jumps and gaps and so on.

The Black route is aimed at long travel bikes and body armour and from the pics looks nice and scary - a place to progress your skills...

Hate to break it to you, but that Black route is the last place to progress your skills, unless you are already at a level where 7m doubles don't worry you too much.  You better show up knowing what's what or things will go against you real quick.

Had a fantastic Jonkers sesh on Saturday morning. Bennet's new trails are super fun! but yes, also wouldn't hit the black with my bike - Bennet says those trails destroy shocks, and in my case most probably more than shocks...

R50/ride is steep yes, and R500/season seems like a lot of money, but considering the time and effort that goes into that place, and the enjoyment of riding the place, coupled with safety of riders (not including falling, colliding with trees and general idiocy) and always riding away with a smile on your face, it is deffo something I've made peace with.

Archived