Cape Town Area Night Rides

Two-Stroke

What are the options for MTB after work/evening/night rides in the Cape Town area?  Am relatively new to this side of the peninsula and suffering from cabin fever.

I did Meerendal on Tuesday's some time back, but it seems they don't allow it anymore.  Is it worth braving Table Mountain?

Table mountain bikers do a Wednesday Morning ride and a Thursday evening ride, the Thursday night ride starts at 18h30, and afterwards beers and burgers, you may need to be relatively fit

Thanks for the replies.

@Jewbacca:  Is it best to start out from Rhodes side or from the city bowl?  Does one need a permit to ride up in the Blockhouse area?

I do both depending on where I land up at the end of the day.

I would suggest parking at either Forries in Newland Ave or at Wembley Square and riding up from there.

There were a lot of officials checking activity cards up until a few weeks back, however that seems to have dissipated into a hazy memory. I make sure my level 3 card is up to date just in case.

Although I am not a fan, check strava out for some routes. It is well marked and straight forward on the jeep track. Also you are welcome to PM me to perhaps join myself and/or the boys at any time you wish.

• 4 months later...

So, start of a new year and hoping to find some more night ride options.

Are Meerendal opening their trails again for night rides in the week?

Which other trails in or around Cape Town are good for some trail sessions after work in the evenings?

Table mountain bikers. 18:30 thursdays. cnr of Ivy and Kloof street. blockhouse and finish on Kloof street for beer and burgers.

Pace is frisky but we dont leave people behind.

come join us.

If you not too fast, there are a bunch of us who generally depart from Forries at 19:00 on a Thursday.

But it mainly seems to happen in winter. It is quite breezy up there at this time of year and many of the guys windsurf / dangle.

Edited by Baracuda

So, start of a new year and hoping to find some more night ride options.

Are Meerendal opening their trails again for night rides in the week?

Which other trails in or around Cape Town are good for some trail sessions after work in the evenings?

Night Rides from Bloemendal Wine Farm, every Thursday, also part of Tygerberg MTB club, either R30 or R40 if you are not a club member.

• 2 years later...