Scott SA duck and diving the warranty claim

Kelson Elena Da Cruz

I have had 2 warranty claims with TREK, both times my bike shop confirmed the problem and within days a new frame arrived, I think it is vital you have a LBS that knows you and the history of your bike, the agents what to deal with there authorized dealers.

Good point, what does OPs LBS have to say about this?

If my LBS ever tells me, "sorry its a dealer thing, please deal with them directly here is their number" .......... I will burn their shop down.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had 2 warranty claims with TREK, both times my bike shop confirmed the problem and within days a new frame arrived, I think it is vital you have a LBS that knows you and the history of your bike, the agents what to deal with there authorized dealers.

I suppose it's like having an insurance broker, sometimes you need someone involved vouching for you and fighting on your behalf.

With this warranty claim it's just the ops word against Scott, they can't or haven't in my eyes conclusively shown the damage is due to being clamped, that's just a generic easy out. Scott is holding all the aces and they aren't coming to the party, op needs leverage, maybe this thread generates that, spreads the word about how potentially poor the frames are and draws others out of the woodwork who have had similar experiences.

Op find some experiences and pics of these frames cracking on Google and post it here, that'll help get the ball rolling.

Having worked at a Scott dealer in the past, I can tell you that their carbon frames are not the strongest and do tend to fail quite often. We had many warranty claims and majority were settled by Scott pretty quickly.

I have seen a CR1 crack in the same place as the case in question here which was warrantied, but on this frame there looks to be pressure marks (the long line marks in the clear coat, not the flacking cracked bits) alongside the crack (not sure what caused these so cannot comment any further).

However, this is all going back 3 years ago now. 

In my opinion, dont buy a carbon Scott frame - they give more hassle than they are worth!

If you do ride a carbon bike, always make sure they are insured under all risks and not just theft as manufacturers often try to shift blame to the rider and reject the warranty claims.

Having worked at a Scott dealer in the past, I can tell you that their carbon frames are not the strongest and do tend to fail quite often. We had many warranty claims and majority were settled by Scott pretty quickly.

I have seen a CR1 crack in the same place as the case in question here which was warrantied, but on this frame there looks to be pressure marks (the long line marks in the clear coat, not the flacking cracked bits) alongside the crack (not sure what caused these so cannot comment any further).

However, this is all going back 3 years ago now.

In my opinion, dont buy a carbon Scott frame - they give more hassle than they are worth!

If you do ride a carbon bike, always make sure they are insured under all risks and not just theft as manufacturers often try to shift blame to the rider and reject the warranty claims.

all of a sudden the Asian blank carbon frames sound like a viable option again.

Also had three Scott rear ends on a duallie fail on my, alu frames. No other bike has ever failed me.....And I have had a couple since

all of a sudden the Asian blank carbon frames sound like a viable option again.

Also had three Scott rear ends on a duallie fail on my, alu frames. No other bike has ever failed me.....And I have had a couple since

Thanks Aurora for your comment and I just lodge a complain with the Consumer Protection in the Western Cape and lets see if Scoot back off otherwise all the way to the small court claim and I'll keep you guys updated of the outcome , thanks you ALL for the positive feedback and HAVE SAFE RIDE OUT THERE :)

Thanks Aurora for your comment and I just lodge a complain with the Consumer Protection in the Western Cape and lets see if Scoot back off otherwise all the way to the small court claim and I'll keep you guys updated of the outcome , thanks you ALL for the positive feedback and HAVE SAFE RIDE OUT THERE :)

Good luck dude!

Kelson, I feel your pain, been through this myself with another bike brand. 

Did Scott only have a look at photos? or did you send your frame to them?

Kelson, I feel your pain, been through this myself with another bike brand. 

Did Scott only have a look at photos? or did you send your frame to them?

Hi CJ , Scott look only at the photos ! 

Archived