Show us your budget build pics!

Courtney99

Hi Guys/Girls,

I am quite new to the forum and noticed there was not a forum for budget bikes. Now the large portion of the people on here are quite serious and also have some pretty nice(read expensive) kit,they also have the funds to back it (or can make enough debt)! 

The sport of MTB(or cycling in general) has become very advanced and the bikes today are very expensive.But I am sure lots of the people on the forum are like me and dont have the funds to build/buy 30k plus bikes,but that does not mean that they dont have the means to build a badass ride and smoke most of the guys on their full carbon,full suspension,overpriced and under enjoyed bikes.

Here is where those okes can show off their bikes!

Ill go first,

Here is my bike,I started with a goal budget of about R3000 to build a bike for the JUMA (I know,I know, no need to say it)as an upgrade of my old bike.

Specs (all secondhand)

*2008 Scott Aspect 10 frame (L) (R500)

*Rockshox Recon coil fork (R500)

*ELixir front brake(R200)

*Deore shifter 8 speed (R150)

* Merida pro flat handlebar (R150)

* Scud Amoeba stem(R50)

* No-Name alu 27mm seatpost that I milled down to 26.8 (R110 plus milling cost)

*Truvativ X-flow Crankset (Free off old bike)

* Shimano wheelset ( Free off my old bike)

* Alivio derailleur (Free off old bike)

* Shimano mechanical rearbrake (Free off old bike).

post-75216-0-78212700-1441894811_thumb.jpg

post-75216-0-29301800-1441894815_thumb.jpg

All in all the bike has cost me about R2000 (including rebuild costs,travel expense,tools and replacement chains and cassettes),leaving me with about R1000 to source a lekker singlespeed crankset or to build wheels around the sunringle rims I picked up cheap cheap.

This bike is a big step up from my previous bike and rides like a dream. I have so much fun on that bike,ride it 3 times a week at least and cant see how a 20k bike could make me happier. I feel all the things that the bike lacks (air fork,10 speed gears,hydro rear brake) just make me the better rider when bombing past the fatties on their full sus bikes down the hills or over technical sections.

Edited by Courtney99

:thumbup: Cool Bike and  cool effort. :thumbup:

I think the problem with trying to stay budget is summed up in this sentence of yours..."I feel all the things that the bike lacks (air fork,10 speed gears,hydro rear brake) just make me the better rider when bombing past the fatties on their full sus bikes down the hills or over technical sections"......once you have  the air forks , 10 speed gears and hydro brakes....then you feel, I need the better rims, better hubs etc etc and then the budget part gets blown away.... There is always something else that you want to add, you as a rider develop and so do you want to develop your ride..

:thumbup: Cool Bike and  cool effort. :thumbup:

I think the problem with trying to stay budget is summed up in this sentence of yours..."I feel all the things that the bike lacks (air fork,10 speed gears,hydro rear brake) just make me the better rider when bombing past the fatties on their full sus bikes down the hills or over technical sections"......once you have  the air forks , 10 speed gears and hydro brakes....then you feel, I need the better rims, better hubs etc etc and then the budget part gets blown away.... There is always something else that you want to add, you as a rider develop and so do you want to develop your ride..

Thanks @KingTJ!

I think the N+1 rule applies to upgrades as well! The reason for this thread is to show that those upgrades and improvements do not have to end up in taking out a second mortgage on your home.

I am sure lots of guys and girls here have built pretty impressive bikes with all the bells and whistles for a fraction of the cost of a shop bought model,those are the ones I made the thread for!

Sadly, "Budget" and "Mountain Bike" are two things that are rarely compatible  :(

Its why I created a thread and make it not so "rarely",to prove that they are out there and get more people into the sport that otherwise would have said "R12 000 for a beginner bicycle,they must be mad!"

Why should mountainbiking be an elitest sport(like golf or sailing),only for the people who can afford it? As a youth it was a great way to keep me out of trouble and off the streets,as a young adult it is a way to cope with stress,keep me healthy,bond with my family and friends,(still)keep me out of mischief :whistling: and most importantly have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys and girls - I bought this 2008 Trek Fuel Ex 7 for a song about 2 years ago and decided to give it a facelift. Did all the painting and mechanics myself and although I do some serious mountain biking on my Scott Spark and Specialized Epic Carbon, this has become my "fun bike" that I ride when out with the grandchildren. Probably spent about R7000 in total - bike included.

post-83225-0-33897800-1444837237_thumb.jpgpost-83225-0-33897800-1444837237_thumb.jpg