Bottom Bracket clicking noise

inthesaddle

I started getting this exact same sound out of the blue a few weeks ago and stumbled onto this thread. I followed velomonatiCT's suggestions below, and voila! Bike is nice and quiet again. Thanks much! It was driving me nuts. :thumbup:

its not the BB

its grit on your seatpost when the seat tube flexes under load of pedaling your hear a tick tick sound ..

take out seatpost clean it clean the collar of the seat tube clean the seat clamp

bit of grease replace

noise gone

common noise complaint / most common solution

Also check your front der setup.... Could be the occasional pin on the links touching the der during your cranks revolution. ...check the chain ring bolts while you are at it too.

I had a bb click and it turned out it was the guide that needed one larger spacer to clear the chain, and I am talking 1mm spacer here

I had the same as well.  Turned out to be two things on my bike.  BB bracket was so loose that I could turn the "nuts" with my fingers, removed the BB, cleaned and greased, back in and tighten properly.  Then the seat post and seat mounting, cleaned and greased.  All quiet afterwards.

Seatpost is probably the easiest option to eliminate. Does it still click when you pedal out the saddle?

Clicking BB can be any of the following (had the same problem a while ago, my issue was no was first item)

Qr skewer moving inside hub and moving around (rear)

Seatpost clamp

Saddle rails

Pedal axles

Cleat & pedal contact area

Headset

Stem, headset, handlebar contacts

Crank arm bolts

Chain ring bolts

End of FD cable touching the crank arm making a clicking noise.

DAMN, "clicking on the BB" can be so many things. Mine was doing it recently and a service of the BB and replacement of the bearings did the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions - it turned out to be a broken bearing from the l/h cleat

Good stuff.

Yes, as everyone else has said before, the phrase "clicking from the BB area" is almost never that, and actually the sport of bicyclings great who done it detective mysteries.

The only way to solve it is by process of elimination: have a checklist of every possible culprit and start addressing each one, one at a time.

Fun for people who are natural tinkerers and have time on their hands. Can be a real sense of satisfaction when the culprit has been nabbed and dealt with.

But for the rest, a real frustration, especially if the culprit is still playing hide and seek after multiple attempts. A full service at the LBS is the final option if all else fails.

You are on a magical mystery tour, it could be any of the above or none of the above. As a general rule if the clicking goes away after you wash your bike it's not the bottom bracket and pivot points or any junction that has load placed on it with a pedal stroke could be the problem. My last mystery was the bolt connecting my rear dérailleur hanger to the frame, the fix was a simple clean out of the dust trapped in it and a bit of grease. This was a recurring problem so remember the noise carefully once you solve it.

Ditto...

Perhaps we should just add to your list:

Rear derailleur bolt

Rear derailleur hanger bolt

add heaven forbid:

Cracked frame

Cracked swingarm,

Adding rounded / deformed Square Taper crank mounting holes to the list, took me forever to find the cause

Good stuff.

Yes, as everyone else has said before, the phrase "clicking from the BB area" is almost never that, and actually the sport of bicyclings great who done it detective mysteries.

The only way to solve it is by process of elimination: have a checklist of every possible culprit and start addressing each one, one at a time.

Fun for people who are natural tinkerers and have time on their hands. Can be a real sense of satisfaction when the culprit has been nabbed and dealt with.

But for the rest, a real frustration, especially if the culprit is still playing hide and seek after multiple attempts. A full service at the LBS is the final option if all else fails.

It has to be process of elimination....good point. But, always start with a seriously good clean, this often removes the elusive "click"

It has to be process of elimination....good point. But, always start with a seriously good clean, this often removes the elusive "click"

Went through some thick mud the other day, afterwards got the clicking sound 

Washed bike thoroughly went for a ride and was still there

had a brain fart and removed cleats from my shoes, cleaned them and tested again, all gone

Went through some thick mud the other day, afterwards got the clicking sound 

Washed bike thoroughly went for a ride and was still there

had a brain fart and removed cleats from my shoes, cleaned them and tested again, all gone

Thank goodness for brain farts....good clean often does wonders.

For me it's often the other way round: the mysterious click/creak appears after a good clean. 

Puts a whole new slant on the phrase "squeaky clean"....

So after cleaning my seat post and the click/squeak sound disappearing for a while, it returned at the beginning of this weekend. Drove me nuts Saturday.

Sunday I was on the trail, and couldn't take it any more. It was getting progressively worse.  

I stopped, took out my multi tool, and took off my seat completely. I then re-installed my seat, making sure everything was where it was supposed to be. VOILA!!! Rode the rest of the day without as much as a peep. Go figure. :w00t:

Archived