Roadies on Cedar Road Narrow Lanes

PygaSchmyga

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there is a law that cyclists my only ride in single file, and must keep to the left. It was also law that people of colour had to be indoors before 9pm. Just because a law exists, does no make it just, or logical, or for the best for everyone.

As far as I know the law states to keep as far left as is safely possible. So if the middle of the road is as far left as I fee is safely possible then so be it, I don't care if someone else feels that being to the left of me is also safe. See where this is going?

I also use Cedar to access the Cradle and a few of the MTB trails in the area. The road is a nightmare and share concerns already raised.

Two comments. To the Cycle lab Marshalls you do a great job at the intersections, thank you, but your large batch rolling block causes more anger towards cyclists than anything else. When they get pass you finally they really don't care about cyclists in general.

Second one. Could those that know of places to park out on Cradle route please post names of the places for those not too familiar.

You can park at Something Country or the Lion and Rhino Park or Avianto or Riverstone or Makiti closer to the caves.

And Valverde. I think Valverde charge R20 (?) for parking, but seemingly you can redeem this afterwards for a coffee?

Slightly before the Cradle: in the Hertford shopping centre - turn left at the robots with Malibongwe and it's on the right at the next robots. Total (?) garage.

One suggestion? If you use any of the commercial premises to park, then after your ride, give them your patronage? ie buy something! Coke, beer, coffee, breakfast etc. I see a number of people use the parking facilities, sometimes even the toilets and fill their water bottles from the cooler, at Rhino & Lion, and then leave without 'returning the favour'. We're all aware that cyclists have a less-than-glowing reputation with Cradle residents, (I'm a resident so hear this first hand), yet if we dropped a few more Rands into Cradle businesses, I do believe that at some point, that balance sheet will talk.... :offtopic:

Have not read the rest of the thread so commenting from the hip. As it should be. 

Cyclists are allowed on the road yes / no. If no, no contest. However if yes, they should ride in the middle of the lane (own the road) and not allow motorists to try and squeeze past. If this philosophy is adopted motorists have no option but to wait until the road is clear before passing.

I know in the SA context it seems counter intuitive, but it is the only way to try to enforce the rules of the road.

It seems to be working on CTN. the problem is if you keep left motorists think they can "Slip past" This should not be allowed.

post-81857-0-38737800-1443607610_thumb.jpg

And Valverde. I think Valverde charge R20 (?) for parking, but seemingly you can redeem this afterwards for a coffee?

Slightly before the Cradle: in the Hertford shopping centre - turn left at the robots with Malibongwe and it's on the right at the next robots. Total (?) garage.

One suggestion? If you use any of the commercial premises to park, then after your ride, give them your patronage? ie buy something! Coke, beer, coffee, breakfast etc. I see a number of people use the parking facilities, sometimes even the toilets and fill their water bottles from the cooler, at Rhino & Lion, and then leave without 'returning the favour'. We're all aware that cyclists have a less-than-glowing reputation with Cradle residents, (I'm a resident so hear this first hand), yet if we dropped a few more Rands into Cradle businesses, I do believe that at some point, that balance sheet will talk.... :offtopic:

That!

Like anything in life, both parties need to benefit for it to remain sustainable.

Valverde does charge R20 but only on weekends, weekdays it's free. In return you get a Valverde R20 "note" that you can use for drinks, etc. A clever system and a good way for cyclists to show appreciation to Valverde who have been big supporters of cyclists for years, as well as being cyclists themselves.

Agree with Fat Boab - support the local businesses especially where you make use of their facilities. It's just common decency.

Just a thought for road users:

First rule of the road is keep left and pass right.

Riding in the middle of the lane makes you an unnecessary target for some idiot who does not like cyclists.

Another topical and applicable rule is to ride in single file.

Being on a bicycle with little to no safety protection is not the time to take on a car or truck. Logic says cyclist will get hurt.

Stating the obvious I know but sometimes it's worthwhile to take a step back and consider same

Archived