Saddle advice needed for DC or endurance rides?

TCTG

I would suggest going to see the guys out at freewheel in Kenilworth.

Get a proper bike from Chris, and he will recomend the best saddle for your sit bones. Was on a Selle Italia and the new saddle and bike has done amazing things to my riding comfort.

Won't mention the brand, haters gonna hate

Experience: 2x Double Centuries

Thanks, Tobey, I am a 3x double century rider and i think i will look at a bike fit from freewheel if that is what you suggesting... i think you should mention the brand. Interested in knowing what you find comfortable?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are going to be on the saddle for 6 hours the Sella Italia should be fine.

Yes, i wish i could do a 6 hr DC but that will not happen with the time i need to find for that amount of training input. More like 7.30..

Bikefit with Irma!!! a cheap/hard BUT correct fitting saddle will be much better than anything else.

Bike fit changed my life :w00t:

Thnaks will google them and match them up with freewheel in terms of loaction and cost.

Your ass is an unique piece of your body, you'll get (for example) 10 guys hating a specific saddle or brand, and 1 loving it - does that mean to say that you should not try that saddle ? 

Same obviously applies other way around, with 10 folk having a good experience with a saddle and one or two complaining, does not mean this saddle could not be YOUR perfect match.

I ride a Specialized Epic, and love the bike, but changed the saddle after a few weeks as I could not get used to it, actually that is putting it nicely, I hated it - it killed my sit bones. Went back to the Fizik Gobi range, which I have been using all along, and am my old happy self. This whilst all the hype about Body Geometry, etc that has gone into the development of Specialized's saddles.

Just one example, but I am sure most riders will tell you that even some of so called better saddles, or those with good reputations, have not worked for them at all.

So my suggestion is to find out for yourself - the hard way....as said, on this forum, you'll get a lot of folk giving you good reviews on a certain saddle, but your saddle might be the one with the worst reviews.....you need to find out what your ass wants - and you have to find that the hard way.

Best of luck with the saddle sores ;-)

ps:  please just don't go and buy a Fizik Gobi M1 Carbon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqrSmJ9dJ8 ) based on what I said, but please let me know when you have, so I can tell you :  "see, I told you so !"  :drool:

You right, every ass is unique and i should maybe do the whole test a saddle thing. I kinda like your Gobi, it looks sexy if that is the correct word to use for a saddle, based on the video clip on utube. How does it compare with the Tundra?

I did DC on a Fizik Antares 00 (140g). You can't go wrong with even the standard Antares if you don't mind the 200g plus penalty. Have only heard good things of the Antares VS with pressure relief channel in a he middle. I had an SLR and found it very uncomfortable.

Cool, thanks for the advice! will consider this on a test basis.... but i will have that sit bones measured again as a starting off point.

Get those sit bones measured

Then buy the right width saddle

Importantly, just a bit of padding

With a lot of padding, more friction is possible

It's ironic

I use an Antares VS with the relief zone in the middle

Hi Antares it is... measuremnets was done years ago but maybe i should have it redone. thats is 2 votes for Antares!! One is for ANTARES 00 AND ONE FOR ANTARES VS. Whats the difference? material used i guess.

Saddle shape is more than just width. It also depends on your riding style and flexibility. Fizik and spez use these well. Fizik have their animal chart - inflexible, larger riders, will be a "bull". Loads more width in the bull range and a lite more curve in the saddle. Relief zone depends on your preference. More flexible, skinny racing snakes are in the "snake" range, with the saddles being flat and narrow.

Spez use this same method to a degree, with your rising position and flexibility taken into account. But they go one step further by offering all thier deferent shape saddles in a variety of widths.

Heavier riders like me will experience saddle discomfort no matter what. There's just too much weight put on a concentrated area for you to be super comfy. My 65kg friend can sit on basically anything with the worlds crappest bibs and will not experience pain.

All the big saddle companies will have test saddles at their retail outlets. Go borrow a few from your lbs and get riding. Good luck!

Now this is experience speaking! Honest feedback!!!

I went from the SLR to the SLR Flow (the one with the cut out in the middle). Made a massive difference wrt added comfort for long rides.

Banna, I got the one you have....with the cut in the middle...at intensity and distance rides coupled togther, you will feel the pain near the end.

Just from riding a number of 200 & 300km Audax events and 2 x CPT and a 1 x Epic. 

You can't go wrong with a Gobi, but for a more road specific saddle, try the Fizik Pave if you can find one.

Just from riding a number of 200 & 300km Audax events and 2 x CPT and a 1 x Epic. 

You can't go wrong with a Gobi, but for a more road specific saddle, try the Fizik Pave if you can find one.

Thanks man. that is 2 for GOBI...will check out the Pave and maybe do a test on it as well. Like you said if i can find one.

You right, every ass is unique and i should maybe do the whole test a saddle thing. I kinda like your Gobi, it looks sexy if that is the correct word to use for a saddle, based on the video clip on utube. How does it compare with the Tundra?

Hi - can not give you any feedback, have not used the Tundra, but I had an inbox from another hubber earlier, keen to find out more about the new Gobi  (M1), and this was my reply :

"I use the saddle in the pic yes - it is the latest Gobi with a lot of changes since their initial Gobi.

It is a lightweight racing saddle to start with, so prepare yourself, it is not cheap - I think RR is around R3 800.

It has carbon rails and carbon shell, but their patented wingflex design remains - you'll see in the video an illustration of what the saddle is intended to do.

I have used the Gobi on my previous bikes, but the normal one, which was a good all round saddle, but have since upgraded to their carbon version a few years back, and then about a year ago to their latest M1 (one of their flagship models).

I can recommend it, but as said, each one is different  -  it works for me and  I can assure you I spend a lot of time on it. Only have a mtb, but ride a lot on the road with the mtb. Will be doing my 4th consecutive Double Century this year (all on mountainbikes), have done the Epic, done many a stage event. Ride on average 12 to 14 hours a week, and as said, no issues - done the Trans Baviaans a month ago on the saddle with NO issues or any discomfort.

See if you can perhaps get a loan / test one from one of the local bike shops - but note the new M1 is a complete different saddle - their previous designs were known for its lifted tail and almost hammock look - not this one, it is a redesigned saddle - they took a great saddle, and made it better.

I'll never ride anything else, but that is just me - as said, not automatically going to work for everyone.

Regards"

Hi - can not give you any feedback, have not used the Tundra, but I had an inbox from another hubber earlier, keen to find out more about the new Gobi  (M1), and this was my reply :

"I use the saddle in the pic yes - it is the latest Gobi with a lot of changes since their initial Gobi.

It is a lightweight racing saddle to start with, so prepare yourself, it is not cheap - I think RR is around R3 800.

It has carbon rails and carbon shell, but their patented wingflex design remains - you'll see in the video an illustration of what the saddle is intended to do.

I have used the Gobi on my previous bikes, but the normal one, which was a good all round saddle, but have since upgraded to their carbon version a few years back, and then about a year ago to their latest M1 (one of their flagship models).

I can recommend it, but as said, each one is different  -  it works for me and  I can assure you I spend a lot of time on it. Only have a mtb, but ride a lot on the road with the mtb. Will be doing my 4th consecutive Double Century this year (all on mountainbikes), have done the Epic, done many a stage event. Ride on average 12 to 14 hours a week, and as said, no issues - done the Trans Baviaans a month ago on the saddle with NO issues or any discomfort.

See if you can perhaps get a loan / test one from one of the local bike shops - but note the new M1 is a complete different saddle - their previous designs were known for its lifted tail and almost hammock look - not this one, it is a redesigned saddle - they took a great saddle, and made it better.

I'll never ride anything else, but that is just me - as said, not automatically going to work for everyone.

Regards"

I really truly appreciate the insight into your world of cycling and i have seen you guys at last years DC (i think there were two groups with mtb's) but you guys ALL look strong and fast. I wil definitley give it a try and then take it from there. It comes at a hefty price and I must certainly will have to budget for this but if it is fit for purpose then i guess the cc will go ching a ching lol. Lets wait and see till then.

Selle Italia Prolink Gel Flow works for me on the road

Fizik Gobi (the old one) works for me on the mountain

Time In The Saddle makes both work

Ps. Not about saddles, but a little something that works for me on those really long rides, is a double layer of bar tape on the top of the handle bars. It just take away some of the pounding on rough roads.

Ps. Not about saddles, but a little something that works for me on those really long rides, is a double layer of bar tape on the top of the handle bars. It just take away some of the pounding on rough roads.

+1000%

Double layer for me. Works a treat.  My hands are big so it helps.

Archived