Craft Race Across Mzansi 2016

HubArch

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a great tour!

Will be making a call in January depending on how the year looks for 2016 - definitely on the radar though!

Would you be considered a proper cyclist if you do this ride?  :eek:

One wonders how much profit margin they price in, for R20k I could probably do a 2 week tour in France.....................

compared to the Epic it seems that the value is good....copy and paste below

Life on Tour:

All accommodation will be provided in Hotels and Guesthouses. 3 great meals will be served daily as well as on the road nutrition.

There will be neutral backup vehicles for each group.

Transport will be provided for a short portage from 3 Sisters to Beaufort West.

Yes Gary, you're quite right, it's a 9 day Road Stage Race. There will be 3 catogories, Racing, Semi Racing and Touring. Riders can choose the catogory of their choice.

compared to the Epic it seems that the value is good....copy and paste below

Life on Tour:

All accommodation will be provided in Hotels and Guesthouses. 3 great meals will be served daily as well as on the road nutrition.

There will be neutral backup vehicles for each group.

Transport will be provided for a short portage from 3 Sisters to Beaufort West.

Comparing the pricing to Joburg2C is a better comparison - same amount of days in the saddle. I think this event is well priced, in my humble opinion. And no, I do not own a small gold mine either. 

9 days worth of accommodation, meals, back-up vehicles. 

I think the real savings here is that an entry level mountain bike for a 9 day ride would set you back R35 000 - whereas this can be done on a roadie that costs a fraction of that price (Giant have a bike under R10 000 that will not be your limiting factor in a sub 3 hour Argus attempt) - plus maintenance on a roadie in training for this event might be a few chains and a rear tire. 

I like the initiative and wish the organisers every success - looks like good value for money for hardcore cyclists. 

(Out of interest, if you live in Joburg - or anywhere upcountry for that matter - what does it cost to go do the Argus if you factor in your drive or flight, two nights in a B&B, bike transport etc.? I think the value of this tour would be put in context if you extrapolate that cost)

Am very surprised that there is not a lot more interest in this event. Considering the popularity of multi stage mtb races in this country that sell out in seconds, no matter what the cost, this event is comparatively well priced considering it includes meals and proper accommodation.

With all the complaints about declining events in road cycling, disappearance of local pro teams, etc there should be a lot more enthusiasm for this event. Last year this place went ballistic when news of the MUNGA broke and that was way more ridiculous and expensive.

This leads me to two conclusions:

A - this is becoming an MTB forum

B - Roadies have gone soft

Either way I am excited and all going as planned will be doing this event next year.

Am very surprised that there is not a lot more interest in this event. Considering the popularity of multi stage mtb races in this country that sell out in seconds, no matter what the cost, this event is comparatively well priced considering it includes meals and proper accommodation.

With all the complaints about declining events in road cycling, disappearance of local pro teams, etc there should be a lot more enthusiasm for this event. Last year this place went ballistic when news of the MUNGA broke and that was way more ridiculous and expensive.

This leads me to two conclusions:

A - this is becoming an MTB forum

B - Roadies have gone soft

Either way I am excited and all going as planned will be doing this event next year.

Some roadies prefer the unsupported clock always ticks events (like Audaxes/Trans Africa)

Lots more mtb riders here than roadies. Roadies don't need trails to be cut and access to be organized. The roads are open. I have done loads of self organized road tours over the past 10 years. It's easy to do and dirt cheap. A self organized tour runs to about R500 to R750 per person per day including accommodation, support and all food.

I'm not saying this race isn't worth it but explaining why the uptake may not be as good as with mtb races.

Roadies, go check out the Craft Race Across Mzansi. www.raceacrossmzansi.co.za

Like the FaceBook page and stand a chance to win a free team entry for 2016!

Roadies, go check out the Craft Race Across Mzansi. www.raceacrossmzansi.co.za

Like the FaceBook page and stand a chance to win a free team entry for 2016!

This is a great format for racing. Meals, accommodation, support, transport each day and you get to race across the country... Awesomeness

One wonders how much profit margin they price in, for R20k I could probably do a 2 week tour in France.....................

2 week tour in France haha, you must be talking about Parys

2 week tour in France haha, you must be talking about Parys

Can get a flight for around R8000, visa for R1000, leaves R11000 for camping/stealth camping and food etc, what's the problem?