Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic upfront

Lukep

I've got a old Nobby Nic up front that has lasted pretty well, close to a year and a half. Had RR on the back and that got worn so decided to try the Vittoria Peyote at the back with a Barzo up front. Started with the Peyote at the back and thank goodness I didn't put the Barzo on the front, the wear has been shocking. Less than 4 months and its just about the same as what the RR looked like after a year and a half. 

Re: the old NN, Andrew_ew is spot on, not a very 'gradual' feeling, one moment you've got traction, next you're slipping everywhere, but once you find that threshold point they are great, can't complain cause I got them for a bargain.

Should be looking for a new front and rear tyre quite soon so thinking of going with Onza Ibex up front or Conti Mountain King with Maxxis Crossmark at the back.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New nobby is apparently what Hans Dampf was supposed to be. Far gripper and not as pressure sensitive ad the old HD and NN.

I got the 2.35 Hans Dampf on mine, came with the bike, and haven't got the smile off my face yet.

Singlespeed - Nobbly Nic (Front) and RR (rear) - NN has been on my bike for over 3 years 

Full Sus - Rocket Ron ( Front) and RR ( Rear)

Singlespeed is used most of the time for rides in my area which is quite rocky with loose gravel.

Full Sus is only used for races in other regions.

I've been running the 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front for some time at 1.3bar and its great. Tyre pressure seems to be very important with Schwalbe and even 0.1bar seems to make a big difference in feel and performance.

Caveat: I'm running a rigid fork up front, so YMMV.

I'm running Racing Ralph rear and Knobby Nick front and it's a combination that works really well for me.

I'm running the same! At the rate they are going I will need 3 rear tyres for 1 front. 

I got the 2.35 Hans Dampf on mine, came with the bike, and haven't got the smile off my face yet.

I don't like it. Far less grippy than the magic, bogs down in the wet and just a bit vague...

Fit it to a wide rim though... different story entirely. Comes alive. Maybe it's the very round profile that just didn't work ad well on narrow rims (25mm internal) but does on wide rims (34mm internal)

Also very pressure sensitive.

Also suppose it depends what you are coming from. Tire before that was a minion DHF super tacky

My 2 cents.

Have Rocket Ron on front of SS, and Ardent on front of dual suss.

I find the Ardent to give me much more confidence over the rough stuff. I've yet to feel that I'm losing grip in a corner, no matter how hard I've pushed. With the Ron, I've come unstuck once or twice on high speed corners.

Also found that the Ron's are very sensitive to pressure, seemed to have a very small sweet spot. Anything higher and grip is compromised, anything lower and tyre burps. Haven't had similar problem with Ardents (Yet :ph34r: )

Okay so it sounds like the Nobby Nic is not the most popular choice.

What about Conti X king protection?

RRon front

Panaracer back, fast rolling. Did Trans and K2C on that set with some serious downhill speeds reached..no problems!!!

Okay so it sounds like the Nobby Nic is not the most popular choice.

What about Conti X king protection?

The new Nobby is a very different tyre to the old one, so is definitely worth consideration.

X King should not go anywhere near the front of a bike. Mountain King is better, but still Conti. 

Other options: Onza Ibex, Maxxis Ardent 

The new (2015) Nobby Nick is fantastic!!

I have it as 2.25 on one bike and 2.35 on other bike.

Very different from previous versions.

The 2.25 with snakeskin 29er comes in at 650grams which is very good for a tyre with this aggressive profile.

Used to run a 2.35 Hans dampf and front and the new NN is just as good, just lighter IMHO.

• 3 years later...

I have the previous Rocket Ron, and won't be buying them again. I only do weekend rides, so relatively low km, and after a year, the tire looks terrible, weeping sealant all over. :thumbdown:

The Nobby Nic on the front is still going strong :thumbup:

Any 1 have any reviews on combos of the new updated Schwalbe addix version, cpt mtb riding

The Rocket Ron Speed Addix (red stripe) came on my bike. I am super happy with them. They offer great grip, low rolling resistance and thus far no side wall cuts after 3000km.

The Rear is now worn and replaced with a Vittoria Mezcal (Cape Cobra was cheap so why not try them) and I can feel that the Rocket Ron was a better rolling tyre. 

The Rocket Ron is also 120gr lighter than the Vittoria. I'll definitely be buying more of the Rocket Ron and other Schwalbe tyres in the new Addix compounds and construction.

The Rocket Ron Speed Addix (red stripe) came on my bike. I am super happy with them. They offer great grip, low rolling resistance and thus far no side wall cuts after 3000km.

The Rear is now worn and replaced with a Vittoria Mezcal (Cape Cobra was cheap so why not try them) and I can feel that the Rocket Ron was a better rolling tyre. 

The Rocket Ron is also 120gr lighter than the Vittoria. I'll definitely be buying more of the Rocket Ron and other Schwalbe tyres in the new Addix compounds and construction.

Cool, that sounds positive :thumbup:

The old compound was horrible IMHO. My previous set of Racing Ralphs also had severe weeping of sealant.

I wish they did something like the Rocket Ron in a 2.35...

Edited by greg_sa

They are great tyres, but the sidewalls are like paper and they are very soft and therefore, wear quickly. The vittoria is a fair amount heavier, but has much thicker side walls and lasts a lot longer.