Best Bike in Africa 2015: #6 Transition Patrol

News bot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever.  They ask that because they know people will pay it.  Just like the Cape Epic and property in the CBD.

grumpy much, Nico? 

Yes, it's a top level price. Yes, there are cheaper bikes with the same spec level (not many though)

The only thing that's missing from this build is a set of carbon hoops, and even then the ARC 30 is a top level alu rim. 

The SixC cinch crank on there is a 6k / 7k item all by itself. Carbon bars, XX1 kit, Etc etc. 

It's a really top drawer build. Of course it's going to be around that level when you take all the bits into consideration. 

Would I buy it at this spec level? No. But that's not the point. The point is that at this level of spec, you're going to expect to pay big tom. 

I think the competition should be renamed to "Best Looking Bike"

Seems they are being judged on the looks and specs and not the actual ability of the bike.

given that it's happening at the Africa Cycle Fair, and you have to vote on the bikes there and you stnad a chance of winning the winner, the title "Best Bike in Africa" is a bit of a misnomer... Highly subjective. 

Hey, at least they give u a sticker pack with the purchase. 

I just get so bummed when you see a nice bike, then inquire about the price and have your heart broken.

I am sometimes to embarrassed to ask for prices in stores, i dont want to be THAT guy but i suppose i am not alone.

grumpy much, Nico? 

Yes, it's a top level price. Yes, there are cheaper bikes with the same spec level (not many though)

The only thing that's missing from this build is a set of carbon hoops, and even then the ARC 30 is a top level alu rim. 

The SixC cinch crank on there is a 6k / 7k item all by itself. Carbon bars, XX1 kit, Etc etc. 

It's a really top drawer build. Of course it's going to be around that level when you take all the bits into consideration. 

Would I buy it at this spec level? No. But that's not the point. The point is that at this level of spec, you're going to expect to pay big tom. 

I think you missed the cynical sarcasm.

Be that as it may, I'm just glad I'm not a bike salesman.  I would never be able to sell a bike with a straight face.

"Yes, sir I realise the vehicle you'll be driving this bike away with costs only a fraction more, but you know the dollar has been hard on us and hey, XX1 bru!"

I just get so bummed when you see a nice bike, then inquire about the price and have your heart broken.

I am sometimes to embarrassed to ask for prices in stores, i dont want to be THAT guy but i suppose i am not alone.

That's what happened to me with Knolly... 

Sniff. DREAM bike, that Knolly Warden. And then to hear that it would have been at MINIMUM 25k more than the Reign. 

Crushed. 

I think you missed the cynical sarcasm.

Be that as it may, I'm just glad I'm not a bike salesman.  I would never be able to sell a bike with a straight face.

"Yes, sir I realise the vehicle you'll be driving this bike away with costs only a fraction more, but you know the dollar has been hard on us and hey, XX1 bru!"

Comic Sans, man!

LOL. Yeah - I did, totally. 

As for vehicle vs bike costs - yeah. 

I was that guy and the owner made me feel like a loser so I just never returned.  Two years loyal patronage. Meant zip when it came down to brass tax.

I was that guy and the owner made me feel like a loser so I just never returned.  Two years loyal patronage. Meant zip when it came down to brass tax.

I remember you saying something about that, Nico. Some people are just dicks.

That's what happened to me with Knolly... 

Sniff. DREAM bike, that Knolly Warden. And then to hear that it would have been at MINIMUM 25k more than the Reign. 

Crushed.

But Myles in this case the above wouldn't apply. A Patrol with similar specs as the Reign 1 would be similarly priced. If you compare the bikes like for like it is fairly easy to drop 10k from the Patrol's price.

But Myles in this case the above wouldn't apply. A Patrol with similar specs as the Reign 1 would be similarly priced. If you compare the bikes like for like it is fairly easy to drop 10k from the Patrol's price.

yeah I know, and that was my point. Yes, it's not carbon, but TBH frame material isn't an issue for me personally. The build kits on the Tranny are actually pretty darn good and bang on ito price. 

The knolly though... Back when I WAS looking, it was a far higher price than the RA1. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

yeah I know, and that was my point. Yes, it's not carbon, but TBH frame material isn't an issue for me personally. The build kits on the Tranny are actually pretty darn good and bang on ito price. 

The knolly though... Back when I WAS looking, it was a far higher price than the RA1.

Yeh, companies like Knolly, Evil and Banshee really have a tough time. If you are not doing the numbers, you pay a fortune in manufacturing costs. I read somewhere that Banshee only produce 2000 frames a year. If that's the case, there is just no way that you can compete on price against the big guys.

Knolly's new carbon frame is a good 10 to 15% more expensive than a SC Nomad frame....How do they sell anything if that's the case? As we are on the topic of SC...a buddy of mine's 2013 Nomad C was valued at R100K + three years ago...and there wasn't even Enve parts of his bike. A Top end Yeti Am bike today R140k.... Say no more.

Yeh, companies like Knolly, Evil and Banshee really have a tough time. If you are not doing the numbers, you pay a fortune in manufacturing costs. I read somewhere that Banshee only produce 2000 frames a year. If that's the case, there is just no way that you can compete on price against the big guys.

Knolly's new carbon frame is a good 10 to 15% more expensive than a SC Nomad frame....How do they sell anything if that's the case? As we are on the topic of SC...a buddy of mine's 2013 Nomad C was valued at R100K + three years ago...and there wasn't even Enve parts of his bike. A Top end Yeti Am bike today R140k.... Say no more.

If money were no object, I'd buy that Knolly Warden Carbon tomorrow. 

But yeah - bikes can get crazy expensive. But as you say - volumes. 

That's the retail price of a brand new Honda CBR 600 RR.

Scary thought,Banshee,Evil and Knolly sells a lot of their bike models out long before the new year models come out because they are just so damn awesome. But the R/$ is killing them here in SA,the bigger companies have more buying power as well. You have to consider if you want something that everyone is riding or something individual,unfortunately individuality costs money.