Nasty accident on the R114 between Hernon Bridge school and Northern Farm

Bonus

Echo Bonus's Comments. I didn't see the accident but the jetta was facing uphill with the windscreen cracked as if the body had hit the bonnet and slid into the windscreen. Bike was a commuter mountain bike. politically correctly I don't think that accident involved a "sport" cyclist. From the few folk that I could see sitting around the car they looked to be residents of the local suburb. Could have been that the jetta was for some reason in the yellow line (maybe forced left by a taxi) and collected the commuter either on his way down or up the hill. However, if I may speculate, its my feeling the bike was coming down the hill as the windscreen was so badly damaged that the cyclist must have been carrying some speed. ?? Speculation only..

Was this a cyclist on the road riding up on the way to Northern Farm? I have seen a number of road clubs use that route and have always been frightened for them as the taxis are truly scary there.

If I am correct it was on the narrow section of the road or was it on the new section?

It was the new section

The accident was just as you go over the brow of the hill on the new road, traveling towards NF. Maybe 150m into the new surface?

The bike was an MTB - but I couldn't say if it was a proper MTB (ie mountain biker) or a commuter MTB (ie someone going to work)

I'm pretty sure the bike was on the left hand side of the road (N14 side) when it was hit - but depending on whether it was an MTB'er heading towards NF or a commuter heading from (say) Diepsloot, it could have been either rear or head-on.

Saw the accident just after it happened, before any medics were on the scene. He didn't look like a cyclist, more like a commuter. Was one of the most sickening sites i've ever seen, he was still alive but don't think he would have made it. I called Netcare but sadly think it was too late.

Before getting to the accident referred to, we had passed one at about 07h50 that must have just happened at the Lion Park / Malabongwe intersection involving a cyclist and a red Golf. Some motorcyclist had stopped to divert traffic. No ambulance on the scene as we passed on our way to NF. Hope a full recovery is made. 

We then saw the mangled MTB on our way to NF. We passed it again after our ride and by that time there were "family?" members all knelt down praying around the scene.

Saw the accident just after it happened, before any medics were on the scene. He didn't look like a cyclist, more like a commuter. Was one of the most sickening sites i've ever seen, he was still alive but don't think he would have made it. I called Netcare but sadly think it was too late.

The human body is quite amazing- I saw an accident where I was certain the guy had died- but he survived and as far as I know made a full recovery...

Let's hope this commuter pulls through without to many lasting issues...

(We can only hope...)

The medical care he'll receive as a "commuter" will sadly be lacking though.

• 4 years later...

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd post here as it relates to the R114.

I want to cycle on the road from Moreleta to the Cradle and back this weekend, and I need to ride a section on the R114 from Summit to Cedar road (next to the N14) as I don't see any other options. Has someone cycled there lately?

Is it safe (in South African terms) to ride the few km's on that road?

Thanks in advance. 

I rode the section from Heron Bridge to Cedar once. Never again.

Back road for taxis to Diepsloot. Narrow with no shoulder in places.

I can't speak to safety, but I'd guess best watch out for a fresh sprinkling of broken glass in the busier section

Edit: post L3 celebrations obvs

Edited by Chris_

I rode the section from Heron Bridge to Cedar once. Never again.

Back road for taxis to Diepsloot. Narrow with no shoulder in places.

For this reason I don’t even drive on that section.

Also roadworks on the uphill to Cedar from the bridge all the way to Malibongwe.

You also pass right next to Diepsloot just before Northern farms. 

Ill rather trust my life on the N14, but it's illegal in that stretch.

I wondered why my post from nearly 5 years ago had been resurrected....

The road was always so busy - your decision is proably the best one.