Fuel Per Race

Thats wild - and potentially hazardous to your health...

Google Hyponatremia - or read Tim Noakes book Waterlogged fkr the full story written in layman's terms.

Indeed so.

But back in 1996 there was not much available to reed in the bos where I used to make a living and you just knew that water was good.  heheheheh

;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed so.

But back in 1996 there was not much available to reed in the bos where I used to make a living and you just knew that water was good.  heheheheh

;)

You would have to have been reading journals - but the basic work on gastric emptying and carb uptake was completed by '87 - just takes a while to filter out to the public in the days before mass internet adoption.

I had the benefit of working in the same lab at the same time as it was done...

Oh but arguing is sometimes good.  ;)

A quick google shows a human body contains around 670 000 kj of reserves.......

(Not all quickly convertible but yes....)

I think that will cover a few hours......  ;)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22414/

Might be so, but they are not ALL useable kj....

http://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/understanding-glycolysis-what-it-is-and-how-to-feed-it

Glycolysis is the breakdown of carbohydrates. It lasts from roughly ten seconds into physical activity up to about two to three minutes. The energy for glycolysis comes from glucose, or our stored form of glucose - glycogen. Glycogen is stored in muscle tissue and the liver, and the average person holds about 1,500-2,000 calories of stored glycogen. Broken down there are about 100g of glycogen in the liver and upwards of 400g of stored glycogen in muscle tissue

I think that in simple terms if you go near or above your lactate threshold you need to ingest glycogen/glucose in some form.

There will be a medical expert here somewhere...

Also, check this out as to what a TDF rider needs to eat and drink...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11729780/6000-calories-What-a-Tour-de-France-rider-eats-in-just-one-day.html

Might be so, but they are not ALL useable kj....

http://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/understanding-glycolysis-what-it-is-and-how-to-feed-it

Glycolysis is the breakdown of carbohydrates. It lasts from roughly ten seconds into physical activity up to about two to three minutes. The energy for glycolysis comes from glucose, or our stored form of glucose - glycogen. Glycogen is stored in muscle tissue and the liver, and the average person holds about 1,500-2,000 calories of stored glycogen. Broken down there are about 100g of glycogen in the liver and upwards of 400g of stored glycogen in muscle tissue

I think that in simple terms if you go near or above your lactate threshold you need to ingest glycogen/glucose in some form.

There will be a medical expert here somewhere...

Also, check this out as to what a TDF rider needs to eat and drink...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11729780/6000-calories-What-a-Tour-de-France-rider-eats-in-just-one-day.html

Well, obviously I was taking a swipe at the whole argument.  Details can be argued. 

Fact remains that I have a couple for friends that ride LOTS.  Eat LOTS.  During, before and after their rides.  Their motivation (excuse?) being they won't make it through the ride) and then bitch that they don't loose weight or gain weight. 

But weight gain is not the issue here.

Just pointing out the fact that the avg rider (I would guestimate it being 70% of SA participants) take too much on board during a ride.

Especially during one day events!!

Use it, don't use it.

I am of firm belief that each one person is different and that everyone needs to find their magic. 

But if you don't try new stuff, you won't know.  And EVERYONE that I know if underestimate the human body and never truly push it to the outer limit.  Because they never test the waters.......

I ate and drank a lot on rides.  I experimented over the last 15 years of racing.  I found that eating less was my answer.  Not for everyone though.......

So go out and find your happy eating place.  ;)

you can typically only consume 30% of what you need during a high intensity race such as 94.7.  Do not attempt to eat 3500 kCal, jy sal die hele steyn city vol kots

Edited by rudi-h

Well, obviously I was taking a swipe at the whole argument.  Details can be argued. 

Fact remains that I have a couple for friends that ride LOTS.  Eat LOTS.  During, before and after their rides.  Their motivation (excuse?) being they won't make it through the ride) and then bitch that they don't loose weight or gain weight. 

But weight gain is not the issue here.

Just pointing out the fact that the avg rider (I would guestimate it being 70% of SA participants) take too much on board during a ride.

Use it, don't use it.

I am of firm belief that each one person is different and that everyone needs to find their magic. 

But if you don't try new stuff, you won't know.  And EVERYONE that I know if underestimate the human body and never truly push it to the outer limit.  Because they never test the waters.......

I ate and drank a lot on rides.  I experimented over the last 15 years of racing.  I found that eating less was my answer.  Not for everyone though.......

So go out and find your happy eating place.  ;)

Absolutely. Even on training rides, I see some of my buddies whipping out picnics 1 hour into a 3 hours easy ride...

I form part of that 70%,...

As you said, its taken you 15 years to find something that works for you. The sport is growing rapidly and with the usual marketing going around the first thing a new rider looks for is energy drinks and gels.

I started like this, then with lotsa info from a few hubbers I stopped and got myself to riding up to 70km at a medium-hard pace with just water and a banana.

Bottom line is that it will also take the rest of us a long time to find what works for our bodies. And I guess thats the reason we here... to learn from the experienced guys.

Currently I take about half than what I used to on training rides and races. it's always funny when you're in the starting pens and look at the guys pockets. Some look like they're going om a picnic and others seems to be on a hunger strike, ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys as this is my first 94.7 and aiming for a sub 5, taking it a bit easy and fairly new to cycling and in all honesty a little nervous.  I have worked out a little eating plan I just need some opinion on. I've tested all the products and nothing gives me the squirts but i havent had a chance to do a full race sim with all the nutrition. Working on the 60-90g carbs per hour how does my nutrition plan look?

post-66831-0-76649500-1447163055_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys as this is my first 94.7 and aiming for a sub 5, taking it a bit easy and fairly new to cycling and in all honesty a little nervous.  I have worked out a little eating plan I just need some opinion on. I've tested all the products and nothing gives me the squirts but i havent had a chance to do a full race sim with all the nutrition. Working on the 60-90g carbs per hour how does my nutrition plan look?

You can halve that carb intake - sub 5 is not going to cause huge carb usage, unless you are incredibly out of shape - and then you won't be able to sustain the intensity needed for 5 hours (because you are out of shape).

Be aware - it is scheduled to be pretty hot on the day - so hydration needs manageing too.

I plan on about 4 hours on my ss - 2 bottles should be enough if it's not too hot - and maybe a tequila or two if the boys have their stand up again... perhaps a stop at a waterpoint as well, but it's not going to need a lot of additional food.

Sometimes you don't run out of go because you aren't eating enough but because you didn't train enough.

In my experience once, I exceed my capacity, eating bucket loads might cheer me up but that's it. Cooked legs are pretty much cooked legs. You can't eat that away.

You can halve that carb intake - sub 5 is not going to cause huge carb usage, unless you are incredibly out of shape - and then you won't be able to sustain the intensity needed for 5 hours (because you are out of shape).

Be aware - it is scheduled to be pretty hot on the day - so hydration needs manageing too.

I plan on about 4 hours on my ss - 2 bottles should be enough if it's not too hot - and maybe a tequila or two if the boys have their stand up again... perhaps a stop at a waterpoint as well, but it's not going to need a lot of additional food.

Oh ok cool so the 60-90g rule is only for when you going balls out? 

Yeah the reason we taking it easy is to stop at quiet a few water points hydrate and take in the vibe a bit. Enjoy the ride rather than race for time, there are other races we will do that in.

I'm not an expert, but that sure is a lot. Do you get sponser(ed) by cadence? lol

I've heard about the 60-90g/h, but struggle to get that much in.

I will have a nice bowl of muesli and yoghurt about 1.5 h before we start and 1 slice of bread with Nutella (dik gepak).

In the pens, about 10 mins before the start I will have a banana and then 1 (600ml) High 5 and 1 (600ml) water. 1x Farbar- about 40 mins into the race and a gel at 2h10 ish. somewhere inbetween I'll take a banana.

I will definitely be under 3H but aim for sub 2h50.

Edited by HBO

Damn, some people chow a lot!

On race days I fill one bottle with game (not too strong) and the other bottle with water.

I have 'something' for breakfast (like a shake or what ever is at home) and a banana on my way to the venue (I am there usually very early) and one in the start pens.

I have one SUPERBAR (http://www.iamsuperbar.co.za/) over the whole duration of the race so brake off bite sizes as I go along (max distance and time +- 115km or 3h30m). For distances over 95km I like to carry an extra bottle in my back for the start that I toss after the 20km mark....just so I don't have to stop at the last water point (learnt my lesson). (One bar has apparently 221g)

Damn, some people chow a lot!

On race days I fill one bottle with game (not too strong) and the other bottle with water.

I have 'something' for breakfast (like a shake or what ever is at home) and a banana on my way to the venue (I am there usually very early) and one in the start pens.

I have one SUPERBAR (http://www.iamsuperbar.co.za/) over the whole duration of the race so brake off bite sizes as I go along (max distance and time +- 115km or 3h30m). For distances over 95km I like to carry an extra bottle in my back for the start that I toss after the 20km mark....just so I don't have to stop at the last water point (learnt my lesson). (One bar has apparently 221g)

Where can I get hold of this superbar to try it out? Do you know if there are any retailers in PTA yet. I don't want to order a box and then I don't like it.

I will probably get some next year when I'm in CT for the CTCT to test.

Do you know if they will perhaps have a stand at the expo?