What's the best VALUE trail bike in SA?

flamer

What do you guys think the best value new trail bike in SA is? I'm thinking relatively descent parts spec, with new school geometry at a decent price. Tricky one. 

BTW doesn't everyone find it hugely frustrating that many LBS websites do not post prices of bikes???! So difficult to compare as one has to go to many stores to find out the prices of their bikes, and since the stores only offer certain brands, you end up having to go to multiple stores to find the best prices/bikes. What a LUS!

if you actually look you can get a pretty big range of bikes that fit into the budget range beyond the giant trance (which is a great bike, but not your only option, and looking doesnt hurt), such as the silverback sprada and slider, a low end rocky mountain altitude, a cube 120HPA from evobikes. there are plenty more if you keep your eyes peeled

cheapest decent carbon bike ive found would be this:
http://evobikes.co.za/bikes/cube-stereo-120-hpc-pro-29er-2015-black-grey-green.html

otherwise you can find old stock of a trek fuel ex5 for about 17k, the spec is atrocious, but it has a legendary frame and the upgrade-ability is huge

or you can just go second hand and get whatever you want...

Mada actually raises a very good option there in the cube HPA. XT spec, Reba RL & deore brakes for R 26k. Unfortunately not in stock, so we can't see if it's going to be hit like the Trance was with the Dollar just ripping the ring out of every other currency. The HPC is also a good contender vs the Trance Advanced. 

I think I saw some iteration of the Trek Remedy around at ok price..

Slider 1/2 from Silverback is great value.

What's you spend limit?

What is a decent price these days? Under R30k?

This is hypothetical for now - I've got a 2010 Stumpie FSR, which will need replacing in the next year or so - In my head i've got a budget of around 30k - gulp.

This is hypothetical for now - I've got a 2010 Stumpie FSR, which will need replacing in the next year or so - In my head i've got a budget of around 30k - gulp.

why will it need replacing? Those are solid bikes... 

why will it need replacing? Those are solid bikes... 

Agreed - super bike, but fork is noodle - a stiffer replacement will be at least R7k. Drive train is gonna need replacing soon too - another R5k+... and I want a dropper - R3-5k. Do you reckon I should rather just keep the old dog going and drip replace all those parts? Or splash out on a new bike (with new geometry, fork, parts, hopefully dropper) in the next year or two?