Trail Daze: Jonkershoek rising from the ashes

ewaldsadie

People are still riding upper canaries despite explicit logging closures.  Pretty moronic, but by all means, just don't cry when you get flattened by a tree or become part of a rock slide.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit concerning to see photos of trails which are definitely no-go zones due to logging activities.

Stuff like that will lead to an unfrtunate accident and get the park closed.  Period.

So are the entrances and exits blocked off? 

Are people just riding around the closure?

People are still riding upper canaries despite explicit logging closures.  Pretty moronic, but by all means, just don't cry when you get flattened by a tree or become part of a rock slide.

It was not closed off and only a few meters went into the logging zone which I walked and there was no loggers or equipment anywhere nearby. Pretty moronic to call others moronic because of closures that does not exist.

Edited by Rocky Rider

so which trails are now rideable (not downhill lines, but standard trails)?

Upper Canaries?

Neverending?

Firehut?

What new sections are there for normal trail riding - equivalent of trails above?

Upper Canary is not ridable all the way a few meters goes into the logging zone but the rest is ridable and not closed off, maybe rather avoid this until the trail is fixed.

I did not ride the upper 2 sections of Neverending but the lower section is riding great.

It seems most effort went in to fix existing and even create a new downhill/technical trail. I miss the fast trails in the trees, but we still have Neverending which is awesome, I hope more fast and not too technical trails will be built.

So, that big sign at the gate showing the red and green areas has either been taken down or updated then?

Because I thought all the canaries area (and more) was still off limits - workers there or not...

Upper Canary is not ridable all the way a few meters goes into the logging zone but the rest is ridable and not closed off, maybe rather avoid this until the trail is fixed.

I did not ride the upper 2 sections of Neverending but the lower section is riding great.

It seems most effort went in to fix existing and even create a new downhill/technical trail. I miss the fast trails in the trees, but we still have Neverending which is awesome, I hope more fast and not too technical trails will be built.

It was not closed off and only a few meters went into the logging zone which I walked and there was no loggers or equipment anywhere nearby. Pretty moronic to call others moronic because of closures that does not exist.

Canaries are most certainly closed.  There is tape at the bottom gate and you know very well that the only trails opened are the ones advised by MTO - Neverending, the Ellioti trails and soon the new black and red.

In the same sentence you say the trails are clearly being logged so you just have to walk it and then you still consider them fine for riding.

Canaries are off limits.  No debate to be had. 

So, that big sign at the gate showing the red and green areas has either been taken down or updated then?

Because I thought all the canaries area (and more) was still off limits - workers there or not...

Correct.  Off limits.  The gate at the bottom is closed with a big no entry sign.  Unambigious as they get.

I am not sure I never saw any signs at the gate. They better close off the entrances and exists of the trails that is not open otherwise paople will ride it.

Where was this photo taken?

post-41238-0-83829900-1446449428_thumb.jpg

I am not sure I never saw any signs at the gate. They better close off the entrances and exists of the trails that is not open otherwise paople will ride it.

The trails all had tape closing them off, and riders tore them all off.

MTO has in any event made it crystal clear than the all trails in Jonkers are off limits unless stated otherwise.  Only a handful of trails have been publicised as open.  Canaries and the olf Flow/DH trails are not amongst them.

Bennet Nel has told me he's had to chase people off the Top Canaries so often, but people just keep riding the trails.

Go left from the gate and then left again at the bottom of the long climb up between the trees just after the little bridge.

Ja thought so.  It's closed mate.  Not open to riding.

Ja thought so.  It's closed mate.  Not open to riding.

Thanks I will stay off it until opened but many riders will be unaware of what is open or not because the trails are not closed off and seems perfectly ridable from the entrances and exits.

Maybe they should wait until the logging is finished and the trails are fixed and properly closed off before opening Jonkers to the masses.

Edited by Mr X

If I remember correctly, there is/was a map indicating the open trails. Is that still there?

I did not see the map but its probably still there. A map at the gate is not good enough, if the trails are not blocked off it will be ridden. I do not want to ride closed trails but I never saw/looked for a map, it would be better to just close off the entrances and exists with tape and logs/rocks, this is what I expected but there was no blockages and the trails seemed ridable.