Campsites near karkloof trails

Hello everyone

I hope im posting this in the right section

I am planning a week away to karkloof in the first week of december for my birthday, and would like some info regarding camping in that area, i have tried the search function however i didnt exactly find what i was looking for.

Im looking for a campsite close to the karkloof club that caters mainly for the tent lovers.

I have been to Merry pebbles in Sabie and they have a set of trails that start at the entrance of the camp site and i have been to Mankele close to Sabie where all their trails start within the camp.

So are there any campsites similiar to the above mentioned that anyone knows of? Or alteast close to the karkloof trails.

Iv tried google and all i can find is Bushwillow caravan and shaw's. bushwillow seems like it mainly caters for caravanners and shaw's doesnt really have much info on their website.

any help will be much appreciated :clap:

Stopped overnight at Bushwillow during a Bikepacking trip a few weeks ago. Nice camping spot.

Shawswood offers camping. Try calling them.

Otherwise you can camp at the club itself.

Hello everyone

I hope im posting this in the right section

I am planning a week away to karkloof in the first week of december for my birthday, and would like some info regarding camping in that area, i have tried the search function however i didnt exactly find what i was looking for.

Im looking for a campsite close to the karkloof club that caters mainly for the tent lovers.

I have been to Merry pebbles in Sabie and they have a set of trails that start at the entrance of the camp site and i have been to Mankele close to Sabie where all their trails start within the camp.

So are there any campsites similiar to the above mentioned that anyone knows of? Or alteast close to the karkloof trails.

Iv tried google and all i can find is Bushwillow caravan and shaw's. bushwillow seems like it mainly caters for caravanners and shaw's doesnt really have much info on their website.

any help will be much appreciated :clap:

Stayed at Bushwillow camp site on numerous occasions. Really nice and clean and not far from the trails.

Thank you for the information, much appreciated :clap:

Another question - I have a few buddies that have done all the trails at karkloof and they highly recommend

it as i haven't been there yet, They also spoke alot about the "Super tube" section, now keeping this in mind, i see on the website http://karkloofmtbtrails.co.za, they have a notice stating " All MTB trails on the karkloof falls side of the main tar road have been closed till further notice due to extensive timber - harvesting operations in the area. new routes have been opened in the area above the main tar road - please follow appropriate signage."

How will this new trail layout affect the riding quality with regard to all the positive comments iv read and heard about karkloof?

Thank you

Another question - I have a few buddies that have done all the trails at karkloof and they highly recommend

it as i haven't been there yet, They also spoke alot about the "Super tube" section, now keeping this in mind, i see on the website http://karkloofmtbtrails.co.za, they have a notice stating " All MTB trails on the karkloof falls side of the main tar road have been closed till further notice due to extensive timber - harvesting operations in the area. new routes have been opened in the area above the main tar road - please follow appropriate signage."

How will this new trail layout affect the riding quality with regard to all the positive comments iv read and heard about karkloof?

Thank you

It does cut out a number of trails, but there are plenty more to choose from especially if you head towards Howick.

If you do head towards Howick and onto the Howick Trails please note that its a separate trail network that requires its own day licence. 

Annual members of Howick MTB Club/Karkloof MTB Club/Big Wheel MTB Club can ride each others trail networks at no charge but day visitors require day licences.

Day licences for Howick Trails are available at Howick Cycles, Howick Hospital or Crusty Corner (Greendale Center, Howick)

Thank you

You will be able to ride nearly all of the 30km loop and most of the outback trails. Inexpensive day license for the howick trails gives you many more km of excellent singletrack.

The logging operation mostly affects the 10km, 20km and 15km Falls Loop. You can still ride about half of the Supa 20. By December, the logging may be finished anyway but portions of the existing trails will be damaged or destroyed. Still lots of other riding in the area.

Edited by JXV

You will be able to ride nearly all of the 30km loop and most of the outback trails. Inexpensive day license for the howick trails gives you many more km of excellent singletrack.

The logging operation mostly affects the 10km, 20km and 15km Falls Loop. You can still ride about half of the Supa 20. By December, the logging may be finished anyway but portions of the existing trails will be damaged or destroyed. Still lots of other riding in the area.

You can ride the whole 30km loop as it is unchanged and never crossed down to the falls.

There is a new Supa 20 which is pretty decent, we have been riding it the last few weekends. Yes the sections down to the falls are gone, but the route now includes sections like Sid Vicious and is a pretty cool route.

Also the outback trails are very nice with some proper trails, might be a bit overgrown and dirty from all the windfalls of late, but I always enjoy going out that side.

Basically there is still plenty of good riding to be found

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the information, Bushwillows it is, can't wait to get to karkloof and see what everyone's raving about :)

Hi there :) What dates are you headed down to Karkloof? The Karkloof Trailblazer event is on the 13th of December which is basically a 40km specially marked loop that you can ride at your own pace with mates, a low cost event. T-shirts and stickers for Karkloof will also be on sale that day. 

There is actually camping at the Club too, but Bushwillow is special in its own way with a dam to swim in and is more 'peaceful' and natural. 

Due to the Falls side being closed at the moment, there are several 'new' routes on the other side which include the 30km which has stayed the same (I see someone else mentioned that earlier) - brilliant route --- but we often cut off the first few kms by avoiding the bumpy ride through the Farmers fields in the beginning. We follow the Supa20 signs until it joins up with the 30km - and it still winds up being 27km at the end of the day. There is then a moderate 20km, or the Supa20 which is more single track and is pretty cool. I rode most of the Outback trails on the weekend and they are pretty much clear except for a few speedy growing dangly brambles that snag shirts, but we hope to get rid of those in the next couple weeks.

Howick has brilliant trails, and are actually quite easy to navigate as mostly you climb up to the fire tower and then drop down...but you can also contact Jackie on wartburgnursery@gmail.com if you would like some GPX files etc.

Hope this helps a bit - if you want more info closer to the time drop me a mail on kathfourie@gmail.com

PS - depending on how many days you're riding for - it can work out more cost efficient to simply join one of the clubs! If you're a club member you can ride both Howick and Karkloof trail networks without having to worry about separate costs. http://www.roag.co.za/entries--info.aspx - the only difference between the two is that with Howick there are no facilities (R370) (you basically just access the trails), whereas Karkloof means you are a member of the actual country club too so you can use their hot showers, use the tennis courts, squash courts, pump track etc. (R500). With either club you will receive a number board to put on your bike.

Edited by KathF

• 2 weeks later...

His everyone, thank you all for the info, stayed at Bushwillows, very nice place, quiet and has a awesome view. Cycled from Bushwillows to the club every morning, rode the 10km and 20km on the first day, then Supa20 without doing all the outloops and found a logging Road that lead us to the falls, third day we did Supa 20 again including all the out Loops, and forth day Supa 20 and all outloops again including a pitstop at the falls again. Fantastic riding, I must say we did a bit of exploring and I found the subway section on the old 15km falls loop and I was quiet bleak there isn't a section similar to the subway in the new Supa 20 route. I will definitely be returning to karkloof soon :-)

His everyone, thank you all for the info, stayed at Bushwillows, very nice place, quiet and has a awesome view. Cycled from Bushwillows to the club every morning, rode the 10km and 20km on the first day, then Supa20 without doing all the outloops and found a logging Road that lead us to the falls, third day we did Supa 20 again including all the out Loops, and forth day Supa 20 and all outloops again including a pitstop at the falls again. Fantastic riding, I must say we did a bit of exploring and I found the subway section on the old 15km falls loop and I was quiet bleak there isn't a section similar to the subway in the new Supa 20 route. I will definitely be returning to karkloof soon :-)

Awesome.. We always stay there... Next time put some time in for a walk up to the top from their place.... Incredible views up at the top